the historical find!

bangorguy

Aug 1, 2009
hi all. i think this is just about the most important find i have ever made, me and the wife went into the woods where we have found some collar disk's in the past. well i started detecting and got a broken signal so i brushed away the dirt as i could see what it was. we thought it was just an old license plate so i put it in my bag, and when we got home i cleaned it up and it read "langley field" "1161" and the date of 1941. well i did a bit of research and found that langley field is a historic air force base in Virginia. and found that the plate was from a B-18-A bomber that crashed here near Bangor, Me., Nov. 18 1941 so my wife called the local air national guard and they put her through to the commander of milatery police, and he told her that it was from a crashed plane in 1941 he also said he wanted us to bring the plate to the command post, and it will go to the commander of the wing museum. also said that the air national guard goes to the site of the crash every year to hold a memorial for the airmen that died. http://www3.gendisasters.com/maine/12909/bangor-me-near-bomber-crash-nov-1941

Attachments

• P8140004_800x600.jpg
    P8140004_800x600.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 1,482
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting & sad!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Indeed you did make an historic find; congrats.
It was the first fatal crash of a military aircraft in Maine when this B-18 Bolo Bomber stationed at Bangor Army Airfield went down in nearby Springfield, Maine, killing all 4 crew. Between 1941 and 1971, there would be 14 additional fatal crashes of military aircraft based in Bangor, 3 within city limits and the rest in small towns or wilderness areas between the north woods and the coast.
Don.........
Source: Wikipedia

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May I be the first to say....Banner anybody?
Thought you meant a B-17, forgot about the B-18. Your find could actually make a person shed tears. Kudos, just make sure that when you donate it, it doesn't sit on some commander's deak, but is displayed the way it should be properly displayed.
Carl

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
And wouldn't it be nice if the commander of the wing museum would be instumental in (perhaps) authorizing a plaque with this tag, narrative and picture of a B-18, then notify the airmens' heirs of the find and invite them to see it.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG another great find for you. You're on a roll this week; first the Lincoln bust, now this. :icon_thumleft:

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: very awsome treasure and find

BomberJohn

Apr 6, 2008
North Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETrac
Congrats bangorguy on the historical find! Very cool.

Have you identified it as part of the B-18? It looks to be a license plate. I would guess it is a license plate off a recovery vehicle that came up from Langley immediately after the crash. I've worked on many modern AF aircraft and can't imagine that plate actually on the plane itself.

Let us know what you learn about it.

HH
John

OP
OP
B

bangorguy

Aug 1, 2009
i think you are right i am going to see the commander today i wonder if they will still want the plate

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bangorguy said:
i think you are right i am going to see the commander today i wonder if they will still want the plate
I think that they will want the plate, and will be able to put a driver's name to it.
We do dig history, don't we? Great find. And please keep us posted on what the outcome of
your returning the plate is. :thumbsup:

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Significant piece of history no doubt. I hope you don't get cursed over finding it ??? It will definetely be proudly displayed in it's rightfull place I'm sure

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread