tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a picture of this bird before and I didn't know what it was, but thanks to OD/MT :thumbsup: he identified it as the Horned Lark. In my first photo encounter the lighting wasn't very good, but this morning it is much better and you can see the little horns he has on his head. When I see him, he's always on the same fence post second, from the end every time. I guess it a great place for him to sit and sing :dontknow:. I don't see this bird species anywhere else in the field, just this fence post. I have seen them in the high plains of Wyoming a couple of times before. Walking home I got a shot of this Northern Flicker in a Cottonwood. They normally don't like to sit around to long, but this one was okay with a human on the ground with a camera today for a couple clicks at least.

Attachments

• horned lark 1.jpg
    horned lark 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 98
  • horned lark 2.jpg
    horned lark 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 89
  • horned lark 3.jpg
    horned lark 3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 93
  • horned lark 4 Flicker.jpg
    horned lark 4 Flicker.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 99

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are all great pics. Old fences/posts make some really nice scenes with the birds. A couple years ago I saw a small flock of turkeys sitting on a split rail fence and of course I had no camera with me:BangHead:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Really beautiful birds, and some great pics, Tam. A few years ago Chris and I were driving west on hiway 50 in Nevada, in the winter. There were literally tens of thousands of Horned Larks along that route. Many dead on the road. They would fly up in huge clouds as cars went by. It was impossible to avoid hitting them. They must winter in that area. We pulled off and got to watch some closeup, with binocs....really beautiful, and sharply marked.
Jim

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Pictures! I believe that they nest in pairs, and it is possible that there is a nest nearby.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pictures! Really like the horns, only the male has horn?

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indeed the bird world is sure provided many more rest stop facilities then we have. I prefer out of the way interstate exits myself. To many of the creepy kind hangout at the regular rest stops.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread