OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Re: Iceberg Saga version 11.25...unseasonably warm weather begins to melt the 'B

Nate in Ohio said:
Yes the roots are a big pain, and lots of them are poison ivy roots. The buffs are cool. I wonder what the mystery is with all the wheats compared to silver in that one area. Yeah, no harm in being extra cautious.

I wear a fake beard and leave through a backwindow into a car parked in the back alley as well.
One can NEVER be too careful.
BTW, I take back everything I ever said about not revealing the Iceberg's location......drumroll.................
It's Waterworks Park in Cuyahoga Falls.
sarcasm mode switched off

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
More fun at the Iceberg. New record for me.

Here are my finds from the hunt with Danimal and my son Nate in Ohio on Saturday.
This place always seems to have some new surprise for us. Dan called this the wheat field and I see why. I dug 100 wheat pennies in a few hours. When we first got to the spot Dan pointed us in the general vicinity. Nate and I plopped our stuff down and went at it. Must have got lucky cause we didnā€™t have to move very far and just kept getting wheat after wheat. After digging maybe 50 I had a plan to wander around and cherry pick for some silver. That lasted maybe 45 minutes and then came back to my original spot. Only one silver rosie for me. Nate found only one silver for his 100+ wheats also. Thatā€™s a ratio of about 100 wheat pennies per silver coin. Usually itā€™s more like 5 to 1.
Anyway, still a lot of fun. Nate didnā€™t include the big rusty old nails that he dug while digging for the wheats in his photos so I used them in mine. They look like they could be from the 1800ā€™s. We think there are 1800ā€™s coins here but most likely too deep for our detectors(the nails were about 12ā€ deep).

The second photo is of a few items I dug a couple weeks ago that never made it into any posts. They were found at a couple different sites

Dec9105wheats800.jpg

leadsoldier800.jpg

Good luck all.

Mirage

jonhls

Nov 10, 2006
Re: More fun at the Iceberg. New record for me.

100 wheats in a day is great,i was out for a bit today to a new site,got 4 wheats and a bit of clad.Hits were few and far between,i wont be in a hurry to get back to that park lol.hopefully will be able to hunt an old house in town tomorrow...hh jon

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

Love 'em all lined up like that Bob...
That pendant in the second photo..can you get a better closeup?

Went back today for only 3 hrs ..I'll post it now

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts

this spot must be a blast !!!!!!!!!!! 100 wheats... :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Last hurah at the Iceberg? Uno Silvero and 40 wheats!

Can't stop this insanity!!...slept way late and figured that even 3 hrs on site (after drive and hike time) would be enough to at the very least add to my wheat count. Also, with the sheer number of wheat pennies the "wheat fields" area of the Berg is producing, the odds of a key date definately are improved. These wheats clean up easy and it's kinds fun later sorting them for any good dates over a cold beer.
So...arrived about 1pm, and started RIGHT between where Nate and Bob were mowing em down yesterday. All told I dug 40 wheats and only 3 Memorials (total reversal from yesterday for me). I decided to leave before dark today and right next to the tree where I hung my backpack and thermos I set my detector down and took my headphones off (had left it turned on)..I poured a last cup of Joe and could hear the ACE ringing high belltone...I picked it back up and pinpointed a coin at 6"...out popped a 39D Merc!...ahhh silver.
That put me at 137 silver coins for this year, and who knows how many wheats..Just for me, Bob and Nate we dug 280 wheaties JUST THIS WEEKEND!!
Dunno if I'll be back before Spring to the Berg. I'd like a few weekends free to do some other things (Winter Mountainbiking mostly), and the Berg pretty mcuh consumes the whole day. My right elbow and my back need a break too. It was fun while it lasted!!

HH all

Pouch dumped out on the tailgate of my Element. I dug a LOT of old square nails today, just like Mirage did yesterday.
12-10hunt 001.jpg
Closeup of nails and wheats
12-10hunt 002.jpg
Closeup of dirty Merc
12-10hunt 003.jpg
Cleaned
12-10hunt 004.jpg
Merc un-polished...the way Nate likes 'em!!

Attachments

• 12-10hunt 005.jpg
    12-10hunt 005.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,599

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Last hurah at the Iceberg? Uno Silvero and 40 wheats!

nice finds

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Your totals from that site are just plain sick!

Nicely done! :)

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Danimal said:
Merc un-polished...the way Nate likes 'em!!

LOL

Musta felt really good to finally get silver after 40 wheats. Today I MDed for an hour or two at one of our local hammered parks. I found one wheat...which is pretty much a miracle for that place. ::) All which made me crave a fix at the Iceberg even more! Yeah but I know what you mean about the Iceberg kinda stealing the day. Still would be nice to get back there every now and then as the frozen ground may not be a huge issue there.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

it would be hard for me to leave that spot alone until spring! i have really enjoyed reading your posts about this spot. and yes............i agree with brian, the amount of finds you guys have made is sick!!

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

137 Nice job Now I will give you a goal to beat.. My 141 for the year and it doesn't look like I will be getting out to add to it....

Nice job you guys have done....I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET spot...........

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

HobBob said:
Dude... I think you just found one of the secret places where old wheaties go to die...
HH,
Bob
My thought's excactly.....Unbelievable dig's everyone!!

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Deck the halls with all those wheat pennies Fa La La La La La La

WTG

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NICE CAMO JOB PLANNING ON DOING THAT OVER THE WINTER TO MY MACHINE(sorry dont mean to yell hard of hearing)

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

DesPlaines_IL_SilverBob said:
137 Nice job Now I will give you a goal to beat.. My 141 for the year and it doesn't look like I will be getting out to add to it....

Nice job you guys have done....I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET spot...........

Well thanks Bob!!...as far as totals go, in my mind Buffalo and V nickles are just as rare for me as any silver. So...if this is a competition (my goal has already been far exceeded) my silver and Buffs and Vs add up to 168.
A few months ago I even counted wheaties. I stopped that when certain areas started spitting them out like sunflower shells at a baseball game ;D

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri

Nice pile of wheats there, and way to get a merc on the way out. Great way to finish the day.

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage

Very nice day wheat day at the berg. Sure makes for a fun day.WTG.
Mike in NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread