The Indy Getaway

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Bigrig and Knorrski invited the 4 FIBs to come down and enjoy a beautiful day east of Indy at an old school and park near their home. We arrived at the large school, dated 1936 in good enough time and started hunting soon enough. I started digging in the large old football field, first decent signal I got was a pretty ring, big red glass (birthstone?) and stamped sterling on it at 4-5". Not much after that, called Target and Dekalb33 over to check a solid target I got to see how we were reading the ground. Turned out to be a mem cent at about 5". Then I got a clad dime and worked back to the ballfield, where I got '57 wheatie that had been in the ground as long as it had been around perhaps, it is heavily covered and will take quite a bit of cleaning.

A bit slow there and all agreed we'd hop to plan b so we went to the beautiful old park in the nearby town. Got three nickels from 1 to 2" deep right off the bat and thought it might be a good omen, 3 quarters 2 dimes followed, but it was lacking any clearly deep good signals. Dug one deep signal, an old auto voltage regulator about a foot down. Then I asked a couple youguns where the carnival was when it came to town and they pointed up the road, about a half mile at the fairgrounds. Pulling in we drove around a bit looking at the layout and as we rounded one of the buildings there was nice size like-new canvas toolbag stashed out back with no one in sight. Dekalb was on the toolbag before the van was stopped and back in the van again, ah just like the old days. Scratch that.... Wow, did he give a holler when he opened it! Needless to say we called Bigrig and Knorrski over to look at it, did not take it back out of the van to show them. The Lil' Dekalb, Mother T stayed in situ to guard the bag while we hunted.

Signals were iffy, most coins I found were on edge shallow or nickels. Got the watch about 3" deep. Plenty of fair and fest trash, old bulbs and carnie ride components. The park super stopped by with his wife and asked what we were doing as we gathered at the van and we told him we were coinshooting though we were really more just clearing the pulltabs for Knorrski! He said he sees sometimes 3-4 detectorists from Indy out there a day, and a ton o' hunters after the fair, Darned! Got a few more clad and went to lunch before leaving. Can't say we cleared all the gold out of Indiana yesterday, hmm, can't say we cleared ANY of it! But we got in a good road trip, had some fun and hung out with Bigrig (now 40) and (God help you if you ever have to compete with her in the detecting field) The Knorrski. The poor old 1235X gave out, the on/off dial died, I lived up to my handle with the CZ-7, weather was great but windy, we were in good company the 4 FIBs survived my driving though they'd prefer to pay at an amusement park! It's all good.

Now if we had found enough to take care of all those Illinois tollway booths, we'd have taken the side roads and retired!

Attachments

• grnfldrng.jpg
    grnfldrng.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 231
  • grnfldwtch.jpg
    grnfldwtch.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 271
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, congrats

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
Nice digs Lowbatts.Love that ring,Wife would have it faster then i could clean it.HH

D

Darod

I read Bigrig's post last night. It sounds like you guys had a nice time even though you guys didn't make enough to retire :)

Very nice ring though Lowbatts!

Rod

OP
OP
Lowbatts

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Hey 1320, the 3 or 4 detectorists at a time quote was from the park super at the fairgrounds, the ring came from the school 5 miles away, built in 1936 and it looks like it was abandonded in the 60's or 70's, not a lot of time for a lot of goodies to go down in a small old Indiana town. Them kids down there were probably too busy playing football and building the muscle cars back then to horse around with loose change in their pockets. Beautiful part of the country though.

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
had a great time lowbatts,hope to hook-up in your neck of the woods sometime.(i could leave knorrski home if you like! ;D)

bigrig

OP
OP
Lowbatts

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Hey Bigrig, bring her along when you get up this way, if we ain't found it and it's there, she will and that's all good!

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
Well darn after seeing them finds I know I gotta get my MD out of the truck and hit the fields tomorrow.

Good job

Red

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread