THE INJURY THREAD. Post your wounds here.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
In my job, when I interact with customers, part of my schpiel is the hot water feature on their water cooler is hot enough for instant tea, coffee, etc....and it's optional, because there is a switch. When they respond with, "just keep it off, cuz I have kids, don't want them to get burned"....drives me crazy.
I want to tell them, that when I was a kid, there were risks, and if you got scalded with hot water, well..it didn't happen again. You learned your lesson.
The list goes on...
Mothers smoked during pregnancy,
Pill bottles weren't childproof,
Cribs at best could contain you until a baby could stand, (and usually lead painted pretty colors)
No car seats, seat belts were just in the way,
Electric sockets didn't have those little plastic plug-in covers,
Cleaners under the sink didn't have a lock on them,
Playground equipment was white hot metal, especially the slide,
Sunblock? What's that?,
If you had a ball, every kid in town would play...if you had a stick, even better!
Scores were settled with clenched fists, when name calling wouldn't solve it,
Trying out for a ball team didn't guarantee you a spot on the team...
(and don't get me started with participation trophies)
Trees were for climbing, not hugging....and if you fell out of one, well, your Dad did too!
Bike helmets were for special kids,
Go outside and play until it got dark,
Jarts!....kinda like horseshoes, only with flying missile of death, I was great at that game as I recall....

I could go on and on....
IMO, today's kids are soft, if they knew how we rolled in the 40s -70s, they wouldn't believe it, they would like and share it though!

Let's see - all of us are STILL doing stupid things and still alive and kicking. What's gonna happen when kids of today (not allowed to draw a stick-figure gun and say "bang, bang" ends up having to grow up and put on the old cammies?? ....Do you think the new national language will be Chinese, Russian, or Arabic?? :BangHead:

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where to start, where to start..... Well lets do it chronologically the best I can

Probably 4 years old (1974) - 10 speed, older kid peddling, I'm sitting on a flat pc of metal above the rear wheel that newspapers used to be placed on. Right ankle decides to go INTO the spokes while bike is in motion. Bike stops cold. Sprained ankle. OUCH!

Later same year fell off the couch got a sprained left arm.

Playing around with a friend and a tennis racket BANG get hit in the mouth. Stitches needed for a part of my mouth to re-attach some lip...

10 years old now buddy & I are up in a tree. Figure it will be cool for him to lower me down on a rope thrown over a branch above with my foot in a loop. Unfortunately he was holding onto the side of the rope NOT on the other side of the branch, whoosh ground came up quick....Watch that 1st step, it's a lulu!

Friend and I are trying to move a large rock. Insert small rock & 2x4 to act as a lever. Ok I'm wedging the board between the small rock & the large one. Now don't push down till my fingers are outta the way...CRUSH! Board + right middle finger into rock = fractured all bones & fingernail completely gone.... Hey at least I got to finger everyone on the way to the ER by keeping it elevated....

Riding down a hill no hands on my bike looking cool, boom box in my left arm blasting out classic mid 80's Metal (Iron Maiden, Motley Crew...). Hit a sand patch, flip over bike & a handle bar hand grip, no rubber left on the ends of the grip slices me under my jaw and land in the road with road rash & sand embedded into my arm..OMG is my boom box still working (priorities) get to my friends house bloody & almost in shock...

Probably 12 years old & goofing around with a hatchet playing cowboys & Indians, slip & decided to bury the hatchet into my right pinky finger right into the joint. 2 stitches required.... Fast forward 20+years later to my 1st out of state camping trip with my 2 young boys (5 & 7) & wife. Hey I'll split that wood with my nice & newly sharpened hatchet. Hit a knot, blade deflects & into my left thumb. Nah, its not that bad, oh what's that I see blood, tendons....anyone know where the ER is around here (note to self, when out of town know where the nearest ER is). 4 Stitches later..... Back to campsite and a Long nap....

Never EVER place your cheek on a 12ga Shotgun and pull the trigger.. BANG! Fat lip ensues....

Somehow think I've broken my big right toe. Massive swelling & pain. Go to Podiatrist and they say it's a bunion. Insert sharp needle with cortisone right INTO the joint...YEEEOOOWWWW! 1 year later it flares up again... Insert sharp needle with cortisone right INTO the joint AGAIN...YEEEOOOWWWW!

To long to list here \but here is a memorable experience: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/468986-clothing-avoid-tics-must-read.html

Deciding to go up on my roof to shovel the snow off, hum GREAT idea except ice is under the snow and slide down my 45 degree roof 10' onto the nicely shoveled patio I got done doing 10 min's ago.... Well at least I landed right, just my pride was sore....

And last but not least from one of the best movies of all times:

Last edited:

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
now why in the name of Hades would you want to be on my "team"...clearly i lost lol

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gotta quit reading this because it just brings back more stuff. In the late 70s I was working as a Public Safety Officer for this major Eastern college. Ended up with 37 years there. It was a Saturday night, and there was a very large party at the field house. I believe there were 4 beer trucks inside and gosh only knows how many students, none of which were sober. A little after midnight we see this kid on crutches come into the arena area and start swinging the crutches, clobbering everybody. Well, this started the fight. Myself and 3 other Officers went to break it up, and it ended up in a huge goose pile. The only clear thing I remember is a size 13 coming at my face. We arrested several people, and as we waited outside for them to be transported, one of the Officers asks me what's wrong, and what happened. Not having a clue and still on the high from the fight, I said what ? The other guy says you got no teeth. Are you kidding me ? Nope somebody in that fight, weather on purpose or not, had kicked out all my front teeth. Looking back, I do believe it was more painful going to the dentist. See what you started BWD.

Last edited:

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hiking into a site I fell down a deep irrigation ditch and broke a couple ribs and snapped my week old CTX3030 in half, hiked in another half mile after said incident and tried to use a friends (Tom) spare machine but couldn't swing it so I just hung out for a bit before hiking back out.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This thread will probably NEVER die if everybody is honest... Back in the mid 60's I'm down in Missouri on my Grandfathers farm. So 3 of us guys (cousins) all about 11-12 y/o are out in the hay filled barn. We're up in the loft area and "discover" this really cool overhead beam. And it extends way out over into the barnyard below. And.... guess what it has an overhead rope and it's on a rolling pulley and steel track. So we get the bright idea of running out of the loft, hang onto the rope, swing out over the barnyard below and fly back into the loft. We even got smart enough to break up some bales so we'd have a soft landing spot when returning into the loft... PERFECT!!!!! We all took 2-3 turns apiece... my turn again! I pull the pulley way back into the loft, get a good grip on the rope and make quick charge to the loft door. Out I go but not to return...? Whatever was being used for a stop on the end of the rail came off when the overhead pulley hit it and I just went sailing out into the barnyard. It seemed like I was in the air FOREVER! And when I landed I barely missed landing on a huge sow below. I landed leaning forward on my toes, fell forward, face planted into the mud and slide forward about 10ft. right up to this bedded sow. Now this sow is pissed or scared and screaming. I'm real scared and my 2 cousins are screaming!!!! Out comes my dad and grandfather from the house about 50yds. away. I stand up and have a real bloody nose but EVERYTHING else "works" ok. I can't believe it!!!!! For a moment I felt "superhuman". Grandpa is pissed and asks me why I'm bothering his sows. I said I wasn't. THEN WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING CLEAR ACROSS THE LOT!!!! I said I fell out of the loft.... kinda?

All three of us got into trouble for breaking up the hay bales and "breaking" the pulley system. A few hours later my dad and grandfather were laughing saying "they'd give anything to have seen that in person". And every time they looked at me they'd break up laughing for days.... go figure. I kid you NOT... I bet I flew forward 30-40ft and 15ft. down. And all I got out of it was a scraped up forehead, 2 black eyes and one sore nose.

NOTE: I'm still working up the nerve to post what I did a few days ago. Nothing of mine got physically injured unless we can claim pride.

Last edited:

Coach Stack

Apr 5, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
AT Pro Pointer
Kelllyco Vulcan 360
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was walking up a plank to a home I was building....I slipped
Ouch.png

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man we were stupid but we had fun! One of our funniest game was to build a bazooka with soda cans and shoot a tennis ball on fire. Others guys would be at the end of the street with baseball mits, waiting for the ball. Some buddies lost some hairs and eyebrows a few times, not by catching the ball but by lighting the damn bazooka as sometimes it would catch on fire or just explode. Still have a few scars from it. Sorry no pictures but you can easily imagine a bunch of 4 kids with no almost eyebrows left and a few curly and smelly spots on our heads.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I was walking up a plank to a home I was building....I slipped
View attachment 1348865
Went out one night about 4 years ago because I heard a raccoon on the back deck. I forgot we had been working on the deck and there was a hole in it. Yep, you guessed it - I fell through. I think there's a pic somewhere of the bruise, but have no idea where. It was on the calf and looked quite similar to your bruise.

Here's the kicker - I was carrying the .22MAG rifle with me. Ended up firing a round right into the house!! I left the hole there - just to remind me not to be STUPID in the future. But I see the wife has covered the tiny hole up. Hmm...no wonder I'm still STUPID!! :BangHead:

Crap! ...I found the pic. The bruising wasn't as bad as I remember, but I sure do remember it hurting.....for DAYS!!

2012-JULY-15 001 12.43am.jpg

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
North Metro Atlanta area, Georgia
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In my job, when I interact with customers, part of my schpiel is the hot water feature on their water cooler is hot enough for instant tea, coffee, etc....and it's optional, because there is a switch. When they respond with, "just keep it off, cuz I have kids, don't want them to get burned"....drives me crazy.
I want to tell them, that when I was a kid, there were risks, and if you got scalded with hot water, well..it didn't happen again. You learned your lesson.
The list goes on...
Mothers smoked during pregnancy,
Pill bottles weren't childproof,
Cribs at best could contain you until a baby could stand, (and usually lead painted pretty colors)
No car seats, seat belts were just in the way,
Electric sockets didn't have those little plastic plug-in covers,
Cleaners under the sink didn't have a lock on them,
Playground equipment was white hot metal, especially the slide,
Sunblock? What's that?,
If you had a ball, every kid in town would play...if you had a stick, even better!
Scores were settled with clenched fists, when name calling wouldn't solve it,
Trying out for a ball team didn't guarantee you a spot on the team...
(and don't get me started with participation trophies)
Trees were for climbing, not hugging....and if you fell out of one, well, your Dad did too!
Bike helmets were for special kids,
Go outside and play until it got dark,
Jarts!....kinda like horseshoes, only with flying missile of death, I was great at that game as I recall....

I could go on and on....
IMO, today's kids are soft, if they knew how we rolled in the 40s -70s, they wouldn't believe it, they would like and share it though!

Hey now, don't forget us 1980 kids! We'd fly down an icy hill on roller skates and jump on a trampoline WITHOUT a net (the horror!) and we'd toss a water hose on it to make it really slippery! :headbang: We were the last of the brave souls. I can't speak for those born in '81 and later.

The trampoline thing gets on my nerves so bad. I hate seeing those freaking nets!! I wish I could remember all of a stupid stuff I did, there's so much more...

Last edited:

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
North Metro Atlanta area, Georgia
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm sure I'll have daily injury posts once I start decorating outside for Christmas. It's just me, my ladder, and over 15,000 lights. Something is bound to happen. It's much more dangerous if I enlist my husband to help me.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok... I'll rat myself out. But only because kcm above did first about shooting his house.

Mr. know it all here decided to set up a nice shooting range for myself, grand kids and my friends. I went deep inside my new wood shop and set up a nice shooting table. I had just purchased a nice heavy duty bench rest and a new spotting scope also. So after it was all set up we raised the 8' x 16"overhead door and measured off 25yds. and 50yds. from the table. My grandson and I pounded our 1/2" wooden boards w/stakes into the ground so we could mount our targets. Now this range has NOTHING but woods in the background for the next 1 mile or more. Now over to the right side of this range is a guest house I had built. I'd guess it's 20-25 yds. out of the way. As long as NOBODY gets wild we'll be ok. So ole' Zack and I start popping off shells. Every now and then I heard a noise downrange that just didn't sound right but couldn't pinpoint it. Zack and I walked up to the house to look for bullet holes but we couldn't find one hole.

So we went back to our table and continued to shoot. We just thought now and then the bullet made a funny sound breaking through the wood or we were hearing things because the sound was trapped in the barn...? We shot all day (3-4) hours. The next day Zack asks..."Grandpa can we go shoot some more?" Heck yea.... lets go buddy. So back to our shooting table we go. We finished up the brick of .22 ammo and called it a day. We even checked the house again because we were hearing that same sound now and then....?

I took Zack home the next day and I went to the shooting table. Some match ammo had just arrived on UPS and I wanted to try. This ammo was heavy hitting and a higher grain weight. I put up a new target @ 50yds. and went back to the table. I fired off the first shot and HEARD THAT SOUND! I slowly walked up to the house because it was the ONLY thing I didn't want to hit. Not one hole in the siding anywhere. I looked behind the target a ways and couldn't see anything that would make a sound. Back to the barn for the second shot.... SAME SOUND!!!!

I head back to the target and walk about 30yds. into the woods AND THE LIGHT COMES ON!!!!! I'm thinking holy s*** no way are you THAT STUPID! 15-18 yrs. ago my father and I stored a perfectly good 10ft. camouflaged aluminum flat bottom john boat in a small depression in the woods behind my guest house. Over the years leaves, sticks and debris had built up around it. It now has 500 holes in it.

kcm.... I DIDN'T SHOOT THE HOUSE..... :laughing7:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol! Now would be a good time to test out that rubber stuff you can pour out of a can and seal a boat bottom with.

Not as bad as i feared, i thought maybe somebody "forgot" and parked on the wrong side of the barn!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol! Now would be a good time to test out that rubber stuff you can pour out of a can and seal a boat bottom with.

Not as bad as i feared, i thought maybe somebody "forgot" and parked on the wrong side of the barn!

Not as bad as i feared, i thought maybe somebody "forgot" and parked on the wrong side of the barn![/QUOTE]

Well Karen.... it isn't about the boat bottom at all. The boat was sticking up just high enough that every bullet was hitting about 6" or so above the bottom. The boat was sitting upside down. And to make matter even worse MANY of them hit right in the back corner which I believe made the "sound" we heard. It all just depended on where we pinned the target on the board.

It may not be as bad as YOU feared.... but if my dad was alive today all holy hell would have broke loose upon this ridge with just ONE hole!!!! He loved that boat and my pride took a hit but my stupidy level was certainly lowered. I just plain TOTALLY forgot the boat back there. There may not be 500 holes but there are a LOT OF THEM! I'd post a pic of the boat but members would vote to ban me instantly because of this act (especially boat folks). We can't have folks this stupid making posts... now can we...?

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rebel, kcm , limitool, Bill Waco, huntress, whammy, nitric, OV, ......
Thankyou for your enthusiasm, and stories of sheer stupidity, leading to a few scars..... Glad to help you jog your memories.:laughing7:

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't want to forget, or leave anyone out....Thankyou all for making this a fun ride!

I have a lifetime of doozies...instead of posting a long story, it would take pages to list them all....
But let me start with my first "injury".... Stay tuned, this is gonna make you shake your head.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my father contribution (i'm 52, he's 74). Just remembered he use to steal some apples from the neighbour, he was a little trouble maker when a teen. Last time he stole some, the farmer helped him putting salt on them with his shotgun. The salt missed the apple bag but my dad and uncle got some in their arse and legs. Seating was difficult for sometime.

Added: BWD, think i'm gonna change my name, suits me more. Thanks!

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I swear this is true....
I was about a year old, and while asleep in my crib, my 5 year old sister took a nap with me... She had gum in her mouth, and it fell out, ended up in my hair.
So my mom, with her 1971 remedy to get the gum out uses peanut butter to somehow remove the gum from my hair.
Within minutes my face blew up like a balloon, hives all over, crying, and difficulty breathing...like serious. Luckily we lived around the corner from the pediatrician, ultimately to the hospital...
Turns out, I got a major peanut and peanut butter allergy, anaphylactic shock had set in, almost died!
This is the story from my mom, who shares it with every girl I have fallen in love with.
When I was in grade school, the lunch was often soup and sandwiches....chicken noodle and peanut butter and jelly.
I had to sit in the principles offices, with my soup and jelly only sandwich. Every kid in school knew me as the kid with the allergy. In high school I raided my friends kitchen during a sleepover...those weren't Ding Dongs, I had never heard of Funnybones before, that was a close one...
In college, I was stoned out of my gourde, and helped myself to my friends leftover spaghetti....that he had thickened with peanut butter.:BangHead:
So, 45 years later, to this day I have never eaten a pbj, snickers, Reese's peanut butter cup, etc....

I don't miss what I've never had.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread