The internet and the supposed lost mine...

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Conceptualnetherlandr

Some legends will never be solved as there will never be a consensus even if it was actually discovered tomorrow? That is the real curse of lost Mines. For some communities my friend that is economically not a bad thing. The Dutchman story goes far beyond a treasure story these days as its a dream of what if? With one million and one possibilities with almost everyone having an opinion on it. In fairness the Dutchman legend has been written long before internet and even before many people had TVS. So The Dutchman legend was already a superstar in its own right. Being such a superstar she is it attracts all types of people making all sorts of claims when the treasure no longer becomes the gold but the person who finds it.

The internet has allowed access to thoughts and ideas on such topics on unparalleled scale in history, compounded also by TV Documentaries of treasure stories feeding the fires of curiosity. Interest in such stories are always increase in difficult economic times. My answer would be tourism, internet as well as TV have increased awareness of the story to place beyond your wildest dreams and their graph as time progresses would climb higher in such regions with these mysteries.

Kanacki

Last edited:

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
There will always be a certain percentage of the population interested in this legend. If anything, the inter-web, because of it's potential to be interactive and continually updated, has probably reduced the numbers of active seekers/tourist and casualties. Print media & television are by nature static yet have the potential to deceive on a massive scale as we have all seen recently. Sites like TNet keep things balanced and work to expose those who would deceive us.

Last edited:

captain1965

Apr 12, 2015
Mesa
Detector(s) used
fisher gemini 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the Internet is an important part of treasure hunting. Our ability to gather information shared by others and re share give us an advantage over previous treasure hunters. This advantage also has its downfall. Misinformation. Whether it be intentionally given to lead others out of a certain area or information based on sound theory that is incorrect. When using the Internet it is important to analyze the intentions and agendas of the people or persons presenting information.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
I believe the Internet is an important part of treasure hunting. Our ability to gather information shared by others and re share give us an advantage over previous treasure hunters. This advantage also has its downfall. Misinformation. Whether it be intentionally given to lead others out of a certain area or information based on sound theory that is incorrect. When using the Internet it is important to analyze the intentions and agendas of the people or persons presenting information.

The same is true with newspaper/magazine articles, books, television programs and movies. Everyone has an agenda and everything is open to interpretation.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lies and embellishments concerning The Lost Dutchman Mine have been an ongoing thing since loooooooooong before the internet. What the internet did was allow information (both correct and incorrect) to propagate MUCH faster than it used to via magazines, TV, and word of mouth.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread