Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, ;D ;D ;D History lesson time.

James Forester Sullivan

James was born in Waterford Ireland,the son of a merchant James Sullivan and Mary Forester. He was left fatherless and went to Liverpool about 1830,only to abscond to sea and settle in the USA. He worked as a back woodsman, timber merchant and shipping and plantation entrepreneur.

He interrupted his law studies at Franklin, Indiana to fight in the war between the United States and Mexico, joinedthe Louisiana Guards and secured a commission.

The California Golsrushes attracted him to the west coast in 1848, but on hearing about Australian gold rushes, he brought a ship called the LONG ISLAND and with cargo and paying passengers, sailed to Sydney,in April 1853, where he sold the ship and goods.By June he was in Melbourne but soon moved to the gold rush town called Bendigo,where he entred a partnership in a jewellers store in Pall Mall[then camp street] he was granted a liquor licence in May 1854 and ran the place known as the Red Store until 1861.

In Bendigo he soon became in volved in local affairs. He was prominent in the formation of the Sandhurst municipality in 1855 and was chairman twice.He also participated in the founding of the Mechanics Institute ,the Diggers Defence Council,the Sandhurst Fire Brigade, the bendigo hospital, the Land League and much more.director of the Bendigo Gas works and Bendigo Mercury co.

Sullivan married Alice Redpath in 1857 at the Wesleyan Church Long Gully about 700 yards from my house lol He became the Minister of Mines when elected to the seat of Mandurang in 1861 He also started the local bank Sandhurst Building Society.

Whe british regiments returned to England in 1860 he became the officer in the Spring Gully Rifles and by 1864 commanded more than half of all colonial troops in Colony of Victoria.Note the uniforms of the colony of Victoria where blue and not red coats lol.

Tried to make as short as possible so much info and he is only one of about 50 American 49-ers that had a great part of my towns history.Now you can see why i have a big interest in treasurenet.The history between united states and australia is much greater than most realize.Lots of the places mention in this story so far i have hunted but i still cannot find enough early american relics which should be here some ware.

Well today i hunted near where the irish and the americans mined and lived but only came up with this lot and the only really interesting finds is a Northern Ireland Medal and my first Silver Queen Victoria Comm as they are usually only copper. I will find a large cent sooner or later. ;D ;D ;D

tinpan ps all sites mentioned still stand to this day

Attachments

• irish 001 (600 x 337).jpg
    irish 001 (600 x 337).jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 382
  • irish 002 (600 x 337).jpg
    irish 002 (600 x 337).jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 380
  • irish 003 (768 x 432).jpg
    irish 003 (768 x 432).jpg
    76 KB · Views: 392
  • irish 004 (768 x 432).jpg
    irish 004 (768 x 432).jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 389
  • irish 005 (768 x 432).jpg
    irish 005 (768 x 432).jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 383
Upvote 0

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
excellent History lesson Tinpan ! and great finds :thumbsup: keep digging there and I'll bet theres more goodies there for you :wink: congrats tinpan :thumbsup:

Golden1

Bronze Member
May 2, 2008
Pittsfield ma
Detector(s) used
Whites PRIZM IV,Whites M-6
Awesome! Tinpan :thumbsup:Thanks for the lesson. I love history :thumbsup:
And Ireland for sure!!!!!!!!!

G1

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Tinpan. :thumbsup:

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks, again, Tincan. Very interesting story....and artifacts. Congrats on the silver coin!!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another most awesome post with great finds TP! I went and refreshed my beer before reading it all, LOL, so I could absorb the post. I was thinking of how much Americans have played a small role in Australia before I read your comments about it. That Victoria silver is a beauty, I have not seen one found or posted anyway. The first picture, upper left, looks like what is called a pan weight, any markings or hallmarks on it? Maybe under the patina? Another great post TP and thanks for sharing. I am curious what you think about the American Presidential election candidates? An American war hero verses a Muslim white hating half breed just should not be happening. PM me your answer if you will. HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread