Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

It's been a few weeks since I posted finds, but we've been busy hitting the books, doing research, scouting the next batch of sites, and diggin some. :)

Last week we had a little campout on the property of a Very Cool owner right beside a neat site in the woods where we detected and did some sifting. Part of the festivity was due to our welcoming aboard the newest member of the team, coinmaster2db. This guy is good at research and history, and always seems to have an extra 6-pack of beer around. ;D Here's a very short video of our campout. :thumbsup:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNw9HIQZHEk

Campout.jpg

The finds were pretty slim for this event, but the company was top notch.

I went out the next day for a little hunt with Hill Billy. We got on a new spot that had a beautiful view. The iron was thick, the zinc canning jar lids were a nightmare, and we didn't get many keepers for a lot of diggin. But HB got a nice brass-faced bridle rosette right off. Then he got a solid silver signal on his XLT. :o

He dug carefully, and I could see a silver reeded edge poking out of the side of the clod. We just knew it had to be a Seated Quarter...

Silver edge1.jpg

Silver edge2.jpg

When he pulled it out, we both got a laugh, and started wondering "What is that doing here?" It was a Silver Georgie. :P The picture below Sucks because I was laughing so hard.

Georgie.jpg

Anyhow, the scenery was beautiful, the two bulls in the field left us alone, and I found a nice Eagle Button. :)

Tree sky.jpg

Hill Billy.jpg

Tree.jpg

Eagle.jpg

Then over the weekend I got together with Rodeo and coinmaster2db for the last field hunt of the season. :'( It was a rainy mess, but again beautiful countryside in this area too.

Rainy Field.jpg

We hit the site hard, knowing that there would be no re-hunt for six months. For the first few hours, we got harmonica reeds, spoon handles, and bits. I started to doubt the age of the site, since there were no flat buttons found--at all! Maybe those long-gone inhabitants boycotted buttons. Maybe since it was such a remote area they just went around "Nekkid" :D But it was wierd to have a hunt with no flatties found.

Here's a photo of Rodeo and Coinmaster. Rodeo had just dug two huge old skeleton keys, and was pretty stoked.

Rodeo.jpg

Coinmaster 2DB.jpg

I managed to find an interesting broken point in the field, and I got an in-situ shot before I picked it up.

In situ.jpg

MORE photos in the first reply below:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right after that, I dug a harmonica reed our of the ground and happened to see a flash of blue in the plug. It was another Bennington marble. Big one. 8)

1.jpg

Then I got a nice good copper signal. I pinpointed, dug, and the signal disappeared. Scanning the clod again, the dirt fell away and revealed a Large Cent on edge:

2.jpg

Such a beautiful sight.

3.jpg

I also dug a few Indian Head cents that I gave to the property owner, along with the nice pieces of glass and china (his wife is saving them to make a coffee table out of). We hiked our butts back up a steep, long hill with a sack of iron and smiles on our faces. Here is a photo of my portion of the finds, plus Rodeo's two brass keys. :thumbsup:

4.jpg

That Large Cent turned out to be an 1835 Coronet. :thumbsup:

5.jpg

The spring window is officially closed. It's time to don the gear, spray ourselves down with enough chemicals to drop a cat, and hit the woods.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
Great stuff guys!

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like that was fun and you all made some nice finds, btw, in the second to the last photo the object closest to the bottom, oval with 3 holes, any idea what those are? I dug one last time out in a CW spot.

Attachments

• may 09 089.jpg
    may 09 089.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 953

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some pretty cool finds. Its a shame that so many great places can't be hunted during the summer. The woods during summer just don't appeal to me. Too many ticks, too much poison ivy and to much freaking underbrush. I don't know how anybody can swing a detector or keep any kind of grid going. I will probably spend my summer in the library.

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice you guys, love the video and pics, and you got some great finds :thumbsup: those keys are sweet ;D

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome. Just plain o' awesome.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tsgman said:
Looks like that was fun and you all made some nice finds, btw, in the second to the last photo the object closest to the bottom, oval with 3 holes, any idea what those are? I dug one last time out in a CW spot.

I have no idea what those are. Sometimes I find ones like it that have a keyhole in the center insted of a circular hole, so I always figured they were pieces from furniture--but if they're turning up in CW camps they very well might be something else. :icon_scratch:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BB, you have become the "Marble Monster' in the last few weeks. Nice finds and pics. Hay cutting has started down here and Dman and I will hit the fields in the next week or so. Good Hunting Bud!!!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
limegoldconvertible68 said:
Those are some pretty cool finds. Its a shame that so many great places can't be hunted during the summer. The woods during summer just don't appeal to me. Too many ticks, too much poison ivy and to much freaking underbrush. I don't know how anybody can swing a detector or keep any kind of grid going. I will probably spend my summer in the library.

We have decided that since the woods will be worse this year than last year we will not be as crazy or stupid as we were in 2008. They have told us that the ticks are worse than they've been in years this year, and we have all the deadfall from this past winter's ice storms to deal with--so we'll probably have to take a saw as well as the machete this summer. :tard: We will hunt the woods in '09... just not 3 times a week like last year. :wink:

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad to see you all back at it,Looks like some Great finds and good Fellowship. Nice to see the new member and hope he makes some Great finds and enjoys such a Great Team. :icon_study: :thumbsup:

Nova Treasure

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
BB, you have become the "Marble Monster' in the last few weeks. Nice finds and pics. Hay cutting has started down here and Dman and I will hit the fields in the next week or so. Good Hunting Bud!!!

It's wonderful to have field sites. Best of luck to you two in the coming weeks.

We have to wait for winter wheat to be cut here--and the window is narrow (usually between 24 and 72 hours). Then another crop will go into the fields for the remaining time until fall harvest.

I have found a few neat marbles lately. Seems like that's the way it works...find two of something in 17 years and then find three in a few months' time.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KylePA said:
Congrats on some great outings, Buck! Of course, you know I love that large cent! Nice video as well!

Your new member will allow you guys to find twice the amount of sites now! Good luck on your future outings with him and the rest of your team!

Kyle

I dug that Largie in your honor. :wink: I'm very happy that except for the occasional Georgie ::) and obligatory IH's, most of our coin finds lately have dated from 1800 to the late 1830s. That's a difficult task in this area...and especially if we cross the O-Hi-O over into Indiana. (Indiana wasn't even a state until 1812.)

There were squatters there before that date (building cabins, harvesting crops, and trying to save enough money to buy the land they were inhabiting), but due to the risk of Indian attack, the population was quite small then.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
BuckleBoy said:
KylePA said:
Congrats on some great outings, Buck! Of course, you know I love that large cent! Nice video as well!

Your new member will allow you guys to find twice the amount of sites now! Good luck on your future outings with him and the rest of your team!

Kyle

I dug that Largie in your honor. :thumbsup: I'm very happy that except for the occasional Georgie ::) and obligatory IH's, most of our coin finds lately have dated from 1800 to the late 1830s. That's a difficult task in this area...and especially when we cross the O-Hi-O over into Indiana. (Indiana wasn't even a state until 1812.)

There were squatters there early (building cabins, harvesting crops, and trying to save enough money to buy the land they were inhabiting), but due to the risk of Indian attack, the population was quite small then.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

And, I know you are hot on the trail of another early site in Indiana! If I remember correctly, wasn't that "three Spanish silver, militia buckle" site in Indiana?

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kyle, I find sites all over--from Hardin and LaRue Counties, over to Nelson and Breckenridge, over east of Lexington, and on the other side of the Ohio as far east as Madison and Carrollton.

But the oldest ones are easier the closer to the Ohio River you are, and the farther East you are.

Some counties in KY are difficult to find old spots in, but even if the county is "newer," odds are it was formed from a larger, older county. :wink:

redlined

Jan 15, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
MXT,Excellerator 4.5x7,Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202
Wondered were you guys had been, now I see--digging your butts off ;D Love the large cent and especially the old skeleton keys, they cleaned up great! FWIW, the point is/was a Turkeytail. Great finds guys WTG :thumbsup:

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
you guys have a way of finding things. and alot of fun to. i like of of your fings. and pictures. :thumbsup:

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Another great post BuckleBoy and by the way, I like the avatar. I've always liked that old tree. :thumbsup:

The bacon looks good but I don't know about that coffee. :tard:

I kinda figured you had been busy digging these last couple of weeks. Looks like the gang has been having fun. Congrats on the large cent and I really like the keys. I'm still looking for my first brass key. I think one of the best finds is the artifact. Looks like a turkey tail. Post it in the artifacts forum and those guys will confirm this. If so, go back when the owner plows the field and you will find some killer artifacts.

Hope to see more soon.
Randy

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RPG said:
Another great post BuckleBoy and by the way, I like the avatar. I've always liked that old tree. :thumbsup:

The bacon looks good but I don't know about that coffee. :tard:

I kinda figured you had been busy digging these last couple of weeks. Looks like the gang has been having fun. Congrats on the large cent and I really like the keys. I'm still looking for my first brass key. I think one of the best finds is the artifact. Looks like a turkey tail. Post it in the artifacts forum and those guys will confirm this. If so, go back when the owner plows the field and you will find some killer artifacts.

Hope to see more soon.
Randy

I wish the owner still deep plowed the fields, but they are all no-till. :-\ The site should be a good one for Native American artifacts though--right near a creek, and on a big hill. Those keys are tough finds to make. I've only found 4 or 5 since 1992. I think the reason is that they were not only functional, but a necessity, and they were practically indestructible.

Most of the ones I've found have been twisted or bent (same case with the bigger of the two that Rodeo dug, posted above). I would imagine that those big, iron door locks were hard to turn when they started to rust a little. Even so, that's a lot of torque to bend a monster key like that.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread