Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please help if you can, I found this CSA button and Im not sure if its real.
image.jpg

It looks like it is two pieces put together when viewed from the back kind of like the back is nesting into the front and the front curling around the back. Any info would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?
Could be original or could be a reproduction used and lost by a C.W. reenactor. Can you take a photo of the back mark information?

OP
OP
Hobojo

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok here's a pic of the back image.jpg

It was found in a park.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Patina looks good. I do not have tices book. Harry ridgeway if you google him has great examples to compare……

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?
Hobojo, I think that you got a reenactors button. The original TWO piece wartime CSA buttons had back marks according to Alberts (one of the main button reference books). Also you found it in a S. Cal. park. As a former California CW reenactor, I can tell you that CW reenactments have been taking place in California parks for many decades. 40 year ago, it was common for Confederate reenactors to use that exact style of button on their uniforms. A cool find none the less.

OP
OP
Hobojo

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes , I was thinking the same thing , that it must have popped off during a mock battle, but was still hoping that it might be real. If I was an actor I'd keep my REAL buttons at home.
Thank you for all the help!

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All of the genuine civil war era 2-piece CSA buttons were manufactured in Britain, and have the distinctive British "perfect circle" loop (it looks like a car tire sitting on the button's back). See the photo below. Reproduction 2-piece CSA buttons have the more-typical button-loop which looks like a horseshoe with the ends of its legs pinched together. That is what appears to be on your button, instead of the civil war era British perfect-circle loop, so your button is definitely a reproduction.

Attachments

• buttonloop_British_CSArtllery_OldEnglish-A_SIsaacsCambell_ARH_photobyGeorgiadigger_MVC-025S.jpg
    buttonloop_British_CSArtllery_OldEnglish-A_SIsaacsCambell_ARH_photobyGeorgiadigger_MVC-025S.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 93

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread