The jar guessing game (Updated with totals!)

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In addition to the co-worker who found the halves for me today, a client came into the office with his change jar... a big change jar. And that's not all of it, there's also a box with the overflow. It's damn heavy, and I work out. I can keep anything cool I find so long as I give the rest back rolled up. It's a deal for him compared to paying coinstar fees. Hopefully there's enough in there to pay for the hernia surgery.

Update: Join the guessing game!

Let's do it Price-Is-Right style. Internet bragging rights go to the closest without going over. Be aware, the photo was taken with a wide angle lens, so it's bigger than it looks. I'll weigh it as soon as I lug the thing home.

Actually, lets make it three guessing games!

1) Guess the weight!
2) Guess the total face value!
3) Guess the finds in silver, wheats, or whatever else!

Feel free to hold off on #2 and #3 until after I report back on the weight, or guess right now to boost your genius cred!

Update 2:

I can provide a more detailed description of the jar. Total weight of the jar and contents is 25.7 kilograms (a little under my original guess of 60 pounds). The jar is plastic, barrel shaped and originally contained sourdough pretzels. It is 29 cm tall, 58 cm in circumference around the middle, 47 cm around the top and bottom, and the coins are basically overflowing from the top. I've also attached a better picture with a tanuki for scale.

Totals:
The total is $485.54. See this post for a detailed breakdown and list of keepers.

Attachments

• jar.jpg
    jar.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 971
  • jar-tanuki.jpg
    jar-tanuki.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 721
Upvote 0
OP
OP
captainfwiffo

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: A little help from my friends (join the guessing game!)

Both the quarters and the dimes have been searched, counted and rolled. Nickels should be done tonight but pennies will have to wait for the weekend.

OP
OP
captainfwiffo

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I finished counting and sorting. The totals are:

$2.00 in dollar coins (2000D Sacajawea, 2007P Jefferson, no keepers)
No halves
$271.00 in quarters (no keepers)
$125.70 in dimes (one 1951 silver)
$38.75 in nickels (1939, 1942P silver, 1947S, 1949, 1952D, 1954D, 1959)
$55.02 in pennies (24 wheats, 14 1950s, 9 1940s including two 1943P steelies, 1929D)

For a total of $485.54 in US coin.

The foreign coin was:

Two Canadian nickels, Five Canadian cents (including a 1948)
One 2000 Bahamanian 25¢ coin
One 1975 Mexican 5¢
Some weird U.A.E. coin that I can't read
One 2004 British 5 pence

There were also two Chucky Cheese tokens, two batting cage tokens, three paperclips, some scraps of carpet, a bunch of those plastic doohickeys that pricetags are attached to clothes with, some hair, and a broken Augusta, GA Masters golf pin of some kind.

And the winner is: ProduceGuy with his impressive early guess of $475!

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS

captainfwiffo said:
I finished counting and sorting. The totals are:

$2.00 in dollar coins (2000D Sacajawea, 2007P Jefferson, no keepers)
No halves
$271.00 in quarters (no keepers)
$125.70 in dimes (one 1951 silver)
$38.75 in nickels (1939, 1942P silver, 1947S, 1949, 1952D, 1954D, 1959)
$55.02 in pennies (24 wheats, 14 1950s, 9 1940s including two 1943P steelies, 1929D)

For a total of $485.54 in US coin.

awesome finds!!! huge congrats!!! hey, just wondering, did you run these through a coin counter/roller to count them, or did you hand sort and roll? keep it up and hh! [R.I.P. Rich Hartford]

The foreign coin was:

Two Canadian nickels, Five Canadian cents (including a 1948)
One 2000 Bahamanian 25¢ coin
One 1975 Mexican 5¢
Some weird U.A.E. coin that I can't read
One 2004 British 5 pence

There were also two Chucky Cheese tokens, two batting cage tokens, three paperclips, some scraps of carpet, a bunch of those plastic doohickeys that pricetags are attached to clothes with, some hair, and a broken Augusta, GA Masters golf pin of some kind.

And the winner is: ProduceGuy with his impressive early guess of $475!

OP
OP
captainfwiffo

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No machine. I sorted them into denomination by hand, then counted and rolled them using coin counting tubes similar to these. I haven't actually rolled up all the pennies yet, I've just used the tube to make piles of 50, which I then sort into decade bins for closer examination under magnification later.

If I weren't doing a detailed search of pennies for varieties and errors, it would only take a couple hours I think.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions