Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The Jupiter Wreck

On July 12, 1987, by Peter Leo, a lifeguard for the city of Jupiter. While taking a morning swim, Peter was astonished to find cannons protruding from the sand where he had been swimming hundreds of times before. They were located in the shadow of the Jupiter lighthouse, just to the south of the Jupiter Inlet jetty and off the public beach. Though not positively identified, it's believed to be those of the “San Miguel de Arcangel”, which was lost either late 1659 or early 1660. During the first two years, before the lease was approved, they hand-fanned the area around the cannons and anchors. No mechanical means of excavation were allowed until a formal state lease was approved. In Spite of this handicap they were able to recover over 1,200 silver coins, several gold coins, and an 80-pound silver bar minted in Lima, Peru, and complete with markings and a date...1652. So far the site has proved rewarding for the salvors. To date over 10,000 silver coins and almost 100 gold coins have been recovered. Two gold bars, as well as a few "bits" of gold, a silver bar weighing 80 pounds, a large copper cooking pot complete with dolphin handles, a pewter shaker box, two arquebuses (muskets), a silver fork, silver spoon, musket balls, cannon balls, and two cannon have been raised. Six more cannons remain on the site. The majority of the silver coins are from the Potosi mint and dated 1658. Twelve of the gold coins are two escudos from the Bogota mint. Also some rare transitional coins have been recovered, including a "Star of Lima" eight-reales and an eight-reales from the Cartagena mint.
Further archival research done by Victoria Stapells Johnson revealed that the Jupiter wreck fits the description of the:

“SAN MIGUEL ARCANGEL”

Dispatched by the Viceroy of Peru, the “San Miguel Archangel” sailed as primer aviso under Juan Ramirez de Miranda, pilot Diego García and Captain Juan de Ostalaca from Portobelo for Spain on September 18, 1659. Six and half months later, the ship had not arrived in Spain and was feared to have wrecked. It was decided to send duplicates of all the correspondence on the next aviso to Spain in April 1660. On the backside of the letter there is a scribbled note “ The aviso ship under Juan Ramirez de Miranda wrecked on the coast of Florida” Included with this document is another longer report (23 pages) entitled “Testimonio sobre el despacho del navío “San Miguel Arcangel” que se despachó de aviso a los reinos de España por el Virrey del Perú a cargo de Juan Ramirez de Miranda” This deals with the financing and preparation of the ship to sail to Spain and there is no reference to what happened to it after leaving Portobelo. A list of the boxes of correspondence loaded on the ship is included. Nevertheless, it should be read through carefully in case there is any information on the ship itself. Juan Ramirez appears to have been a notable in Portobelo. In 1661, he was named notary of the city of Portobelo. It is suggested that further research on this man might shed some light on the aviso because he undoubtedly had cargo on board.
Source: A.G.I. – Santa Fe 43, ramo 3, n.10. Also: Panamá 58, n.1 Confirmación de oficio: Juan Ramírez de Miranda. 14 enero, 1662

Now let’s make a pause and go to Ecuador……

The Spanish galleon “Jesus Maria de la Limpia Concepcion”, better known as the “Capitana”, was lost in 1654 after striking a reef system off Chanduy Ecuador. The huge galleon served as the command ship, the "Capitana" of the 1654 South Sea Armada, and due to her size and stature, carried the bulk of the fleet’s treasure. Estimates place the amount at nearly 10 million pesos of silver, well above the annual production of the combined mints of the Spanish Viceroyalty of Peru. Most of the “Capitana's” treasure was promptly salvaged by the Spanish and part of her cargo was placed in the “Maravillas” to be lost again in 1656. The 1654 “Capitana” was rediscovered in 1997 by one of Dave Horner’s divers Rob McClung aboard Don McKay’s 100ft salvage vessel the “R/V Explorer”. Archaeologist John de Bry, examined the coins found and said the coins were struck between 1648 and 1652 in the mint at Potosi, Bolivia, which was at that time part of the vice royalty of Peru.

The Jupiter Wreck site was visited by Dave Horner and Don McKay in the late 90’s when it was discovered that the 80 pound silver bar minted in Lima, Peru with complete markings and a dated 1652 was part of the register manifest of the 1654 “Capitana”.

Further research revealed that the Count of Salvatierra is known to have loaded the 1654 “Capitana” with contraband treasure. The Count salvaged some of the treasure in the name of the King from the ship lost on the coast of Ecuador, but underreported the amount recovered and diverting a goodly portion to his own pockets. The Count Alba de Liste, who became Viceroy after Salvatierra’s death in 1658, mounted a second recovery expedition of the Chanduy wreck in 1659. Two hundred fifty thousand pesos were reported to have been recovered in this operation. The silver bar found at the Jupiter site taken from the Chanduy reef wreck was either part of Salvatierra’s plunder from the Chanduy reef wreck, shipped by his widow, the Countess, in anticipation of her return to Spain or salvaged by Count Alba de Liste in 1659.

Another interesting fact is that one of the 2 finger gold bars found at the Jupiter wreck had several coins encrusted to it and the coins were dated 1652.

So here we have found a connection between the 1659 “San Miguel Archangel” and the 1654 “Capitana.”

Now let’s make another pause and go to Bahamas…….

The “Nuestra Señora de las Maravillas” sailed the Almiranta of the homebound Spanish fleet in January of 1656, the “Maravillasas” was officially filled with over five million pesos of treasure (and probably much more in contraband, as was usually the case). That treasure included much of the silver salvaged from the South Seas Fleet’s “Capitana” of 1654 that wrecked on Chanduy Reef off Ecuador. The ill-fated treasure sank once again when the “Maravillas” unexpectedly exacerbated by strong winds ran into shallow water and was subsequently rammed by one of the other ships of its fleet, forcing the captain to try to ground the “Maravillas” on a nearby reef on Little Bahama Bank off Grand Bahama Island. Most of the 650 people on board the ship died in the night, and the wreckage scattered. Spanish salvagers soon recovered almost half a million pesos of treasure quickly, followed by more recoveries over the next several decades, yet with over half of the official cargo still unfound.

Now that we know of the connection between the 1654 “Capitana” and the Jupiter wreck one would understand why so many 1652 and earlier coins have been found in the Jupiter site. But is also very interesting the fact that many 1656 coins have been found in the Jupiter site.

I read an article online that talk’s about a Captain Bouchlas who found artifacts in the Jupiter area that match the manifest of the Maravillas. He them proceeded to apply for permits but it was too late because Peter Leo had already found the wreck and had permits in the area. Captain Bouchlas believes that the gold and intrinsic archaeological artifacts found at the Jupiter site match the manifest of the 1656 Maravillas he strongly believes that the Jupiter wreck is one of the two vessels that recovered treasure from the “Maravillas” at Memory Rock. These two vessels in order to gain water supplies traveled straight to Florida sailing on the same Lat 27 plus or minus degrees which put you right at the Jupiter lighthouse where they wrecked. Mr. Bouchlas claims that he can pinpoint the exact location of the so called “Golden Madonna” in Jupiter.

Steven Singer is his book ‘Shipwrecks of Florida” on page 134 has a listing of 1659 San Francisco y San Antonio a Spanish aviso vessel that wrecked at Gega present day Jupiter. Indians rescued 33 survivors. Source research by Dr. Eugene Lyon.

Victoria Stapells report provides a list of possible ID’s for the Jupiter wreck and interesting enough this is one of them:

“SAN FRANCISCO Y SAN ANTONIO”

In 1657 Bernardo Somoza requested that his ship, the “San Francisco y San Antonio” of 60 toneladas cargo capacity and built in Seville (Spain) be granted a license to sail to Tierra Firme as an aviso (courier ship). The outgoing manifest for this ship is in the section Contratación of the Archivo General de Indias. In it, there is information on the ship, artillery, ship fittings and a complete crew list as you will read in the transcription and translation included further on in this report. This aviso left Seville in February 1658 for the ports of Cartagena and Portobelo. There is no evidence that it returned.

Knowing that this report provides information on the artillery it makes me wonder if anyone has compared the amount, length, weight, etc. of cannons found in the Jupiter site to the amount, length, weight, etc. of cannons carried by the “San Francisco y San Antonio”

I would love to see the rest of this report, I am sure that it provides many important clues for further research on the “San Francisco y San Antonio”

Also in Victoria Stapells report:

In the different Audiencias of the archives, there is mention of two or three avisos which sank in this time period but for which we have no name:

- 33 men survived the wreck of this courier ship off the coast of Gega, Florida in 1659
Source: A.G.I. - Santo Domingo 233

- Mention of an aviso “which was lost” in a letter dated Panama, May 27 1659.
Source: A.G.I. – Panama 36

Intersting facts:

-Both ships were aviso vessels (couriers) sailing alone.

-Both ships left the port of Portobelo.

-If you look on a map at the spots in Bahamas where 1656 treasure has been found you will notice that they are almost in a straight line with the Jupiter inlet.

-Many 1656 coins have been found at the Jupiter wreck site.

-Many finger gold bars have been found in the “Maravillas” similar to the 2 bars found at the Jupiter wreck site.

Gold "finger" bar from the Maravillas (1656), 336.3 grams, 19-1/4K. About 7" x 1" x 1/4". A very wide and flat ingot with one end chisel-cut twice (a bit crudely) and the other end rounded but with two small, cylindrical assayer's bites, the marked surface with 3 fineness markings of XIX in a box...

Many questions come to my mind:

Was the “San Miguel” traveling with the “San Francisco y San Antonio”?

Did they stop to salvage the “Maravillas”?

Did they both wreck in Jupiter?

How much treasure is still to be found at the Jupiter wreck site?
(It is well documented the fact that the register cargo of the 1654 “Capitana” was 3,000,000 pesos to later find out that it was carrying over 10,000,000.)( For almost 8 years annual salvage expeditions were sponsored by two viceroys Don Garcia Sarmiento de Sotomayor, Count of Salvatierra from 1648 to 1655 and his successor Don Luis Henriques de Guzman Count de Alva of Aliste, Viceroy of Peru from 1655 to 1661. it is well documented that during those 8 years 3,339, 751 pesos were reported as salvage. Knowing there was so much contraband onboard I wonder how much was really salvage and never reported.

How much of this contraband goods were loaded into the “San Miguel Arcangel?

If the “San Miguel Arcangel” did in fact stopped to salvage the “Maravillas” How much more did it salvage?

If the so called “Golden Madonna” does exist could it really be at the Jupiter site?
(I heard that the “Golden Madonna” doesn’t exist. The story I heard is that Gene Lyon pulling Marx leg told him that the “Maravillas” was carrying a “Golden Madonna” and the next thing Gene knew Marx had written about it in one of his books)

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Slight clarification to the above, regarding the Capitana:

Rob McClung was not one of Dave Horner's divers. He was in charge of dive ops off my boat, the 'R/V Explorer'. The recovery was a joint venture among three groups; influencial locals (in Ecuador); Lou Ullian, Dave Horner and the permit holder in a second group; and Rob and me in the third group.

After our success on the 'Capitana', Dave and Lou invited me to work the Jupiter site with the "Explorer"--which I did.
Don........

OP
OP
Chagy

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Don,

Do you know of any finger gold bars recovered from the “Capitana” on any of the salvages conducted by the Spaniards?
Did you guys find any finger gold bars?

Chagy…..

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Chagy:
I don't recall there being mentioned any gold bars on board the 'Capitana'--at any time. We found silver ingots (60+ pounders) and a couple (?) gold escudos (Seville mint); and, as has been noted before, thousands of silver pieces of eight, as a partial list of recovered artifacts.
Don........

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Chagy
Great report. I wonder though why there would be so many 1658 and 1659 coins evenly scattered through the recoveries if this were a boat salvaging a wreck from 1656. No doubt there was some cargo from the Capitana. And also, who would try salvaging in December or January? We are only able to get in one or two days a month in the winter with diesel engine blowers and hookahs, I couldn't imagine sailing great distances to sit around and wait for a couple nice days to salvage. Just my two cents worth. Like all the research, though.
Seahunter

OP
OP
Chagy

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dear SeaHunter,

I have to agree with your arguments about the winter time. On a ship that wrecked between 1659 and 1660 one would expect to find allot of 1658 and 1659 coins. Based on other wrecks the usual find is coins from the same year of the wreck or a few years prior. Unless the cargo had been waiting for years to be picked up. On this particular case we know why we have coins from 1648 to 1652 and logical to have 1658 and 1659 but it does make you wonder why so many 1656. Any ways its just a theory based on the facts. To me the most interesting thing is the finger gold bar with the 1652 coins encrusted. I don’t think that salvaging the 1656 wreck was the main objective but I am sure that the same people who had interests in the cargo of the “Capitana” loaded into the “San Miguel” also lost cargo in the 1656 wreck and I am sure they knew where it was. Obviously The “San Miguel” was the 3rd attempt to send this cargo to Spain. As always just my humble opinion.....

All the best,

Chagy……

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's one scenario. Salvaged items from both shipwrecks were sent to Havana, and then loaded on the Arcangel for shipment back to Spain.

OP
OP
Chagy

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Seahunter said:
Hello Chagy
Great report. I wonder though why there would be so many 1658 and 1659 coins evenly scattered through the recoveries if this were a boat salvaging a wreck from 1656. No doubt there was some cargo from the Capitana. And also, who would try salvaging in December or January? We are only able to get in one or two days a month in the winter with diesel engine blowers and hookahs, I couldn't imagine sailing great distances to sit around and wait for a couple nice days to salvage. Just my two cents worth. Like all the research, though.
Seahunter

If the “San Miguel” wrecked on Dec or Jan then she had to stop somewhere for sure because she left Portobelo on Sept 18. 1659. For example the Atocha left Portobelo on July 22 she called first at Cartagena then sailed north to Havana arriving in Cuba on Augt 22. The “San Miguel” was an aviso vessels that would travel allot faster……

Jeff

I am glad you liked the report

Dell

It is a proven fact that the “San Miguel” was carrying cargo from the 1654 “Capitana” her main cargo had coins 1648 to 1652 and I am sure it also had 1653 and 1654 So that would explain why the is a 10 year date difference on the coins....

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Just a couple points of clarification.....

The Peter happened across the anchor and cannon on July 13th, 1987.

The Admiralty Arrest was affected on July 26th, 1987.

I was first appointed the Federal Substitute Custodian of the Shipwreck until later
after JWI, Inc. a Florida Corporation was formed by Earl Young, Peter Leo, Dr. Cecil Mc Iver
and myself. The Admiralty Court was then partitioned and JWI. Inc. was named the
Federal Substitute Custodian and my name then personally removed as the sole custodian
I think in August of 1987.

Four years - not two years passed that we continued to work the shipwreck site, as the Federal
Substitute Custodians of the Shipwreck site from my marina until 1989 then the Jupiter Historic
Shipwreck Research & Recovery Center - I secured on the water just up the street from the Marina
I had sold.

We did not resolve our differences with the state until 1991 and only then did we agree to a working
relationship with the State - based upon the State accepting our rights and ownership secured by
the Federal Admiralty Action.

Eleven Cannons have been found on the Jupiter Shipwreck site to date. One remains on site recently
re-found by a director and sub contractor of JWI.

Over 15,000 coins and artifacts have been recovered to date from the Jupiter Shipwreck site.
Hardly any of these coins or dated specimens are pre-1652. Most are Post 1656. All are Spanish
colonial vintage. Few are old world variety.

Research from Victoria had the San Fransisco e San Antonio making it back to the Spains - so it
did not sink at Jupiter Inlet. Attached is a photo of Victoria, Peter and I in Seville discussing the Research in
The second photo attached is of Peter and I at the Calico Personal Numismatic Library
in Barcelona.

The reference to the 33 three survivors was taken from Dr. Eugene Lyon's synopsis not Victoria's
archival research.... Back then she was kind of a newbee.

I'm going to stop here for now because I do not wish
to come off as a Know-it-all
but folks.... I actually was there.... :laughing7:
from the beginning....
putting my neck and financial resources on the line... :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• pict0019.jpg
    pict0019.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,953
  • pict0019.jpg
    pict0019.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,715
  • pict0010.jpg
    pict0010.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1,750
OP
OP
Chagy

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Capt dom

All the information I posted here is public information that I have read online over the years and some of it is very old. So I tell it as I read it. I am sure you have been there since day one so thank you for clarifying and providing us with the correct information.

You wrote: Research from Victoria had the San Fransisco e San Antonio making it back to the Spains - so it did not sink at Jupiter Inlet. Attached is a photo of Victoria, Peter and I in Seville discussing the Research in1989.

Then you wrote: The reference to the 33 three survivors was taken from Dr. Eugene Lyon's synopsis not Victoria's archival research.... Back then she was kind of a newbee.

I may be wrong but it seems you are contradicting your self. Any one who reads this will understand that this information:

- 33 men survived the wreck of this courier ship off the coast of Gega, Florida in 1659

Comes from Victoria’s repot in 2006

This is a cut and paste from your own website.

http://www.jupitercoins.com/WreckHistory.html

Historical research based on documents from the Archivo General de Indias. Sevilla, Spain Victoria Stapells Johnson September 2006

In our archival search to identify the name of the “Jupiter wreck”, the starting point in the Spanish archives was the section Contratación (issues related to trade with the Indies) and specifically: the Libros de Registros for the time period of the mid 17th century. In these bound volumes are the names of many (but not all) of the ships which plied back and forth across the Atlantic during the years of the Carrera de Indias. In most cases, there is a note in the margin beside a ship which wrecked in the course of a journey. As regards the ship at Jupiter Inlet, silver and gold coins and particularly a silver bar marked no. 820 found at the site, indicate a point of departure from Tierra Firme. Hence, the ports of Cartagena and Portobelo were checked most carefully. In this initial stage of research, there is no evidence to suggest this wreck being of a ship returning to Spain from Mexico.

Of the ships which meet the profile for the “Jupiter Wreck” based on the document search at the Archivo General de Indias, six are “aviso” ships. By decree of the crown in 1525, avisos were the ships designated to carry official correspondence back and forth between Spain and her over seas colonies. Two courier or aviso ships were despatched each year from Spain to Nueva España (Mexico) and Tierra Firme (north coast of South America). Small ships which generally did not exceed 100 toneladas, these vessels were capable of sailing quickly and efficiently. Aboard, they carried all manner of crown documents to the colonies. On the way back to Spain they carried a variety of papers: correspondence from the colonial treasury accounts, court cases, reports from the Viceroys, court cases, religious correspondence and so on. Another very important part of an aviso’s job was to inform the authorities of the presence of lurking enemy ships ready to attack the treasure laden fleets returning from the Indies. Passengers were not allowed on board officially although there were plenty of exceptions. Of course avisos also carried some cargo: on the way out from Spain, this would include items needed in the colonies such as wine, oil, wax, textiles and funds for garrison payrolls. Iron work or tools were taken as ballast. On the return trip, one can imagine that a certain amount of contraband was loaded on these ships in the form of silver or gold. This was common practice on all ships during the colonial time period.

In the time frame of the Jupiter wreck, there were FOUR ships which sailed as avisos and appear to have wrecked on their return trip to Spain from Tierra Firme ports.

SAN FRANCISCO Y SAN ANTONIO
In 1657 Bernardo Somoza requested that his ship, the San Francisco y San Antonio of 60 toneladas cargo capacity and built in Seville (Spain) be granted a license to sail to Tierra Firme as an aviso (courier ship). The outgoing manifest for this ship is in the section Contratación of the Archivo General de Indias. In it, there is information on the ship, artillery, ship fittings and a complete crew list as you will read in the transcription and translation included further on in this report. This aviso left Seville in February 1658 for the ports of Cartagena and Portobelo. There is no evidence that it returned.

Note: there is another San Francisco Y San Antonio which sailed to Caracas with the Tierra Firme galleons under the marqués de Villarubia in 1658. This was a Dutch ship, 267 toneladas, her owner was Manuel Bozardo. It returned to Spain safely.
Source: Archivo de Indias (A.G.I.) - Contratación 1005, 1202, 1617
SAN FRANCISCO Y SAN DIEGO
In the fall of 1659, this aviso sailed to Tierra Firme. The owner of the San Francisco y San Diego was Francisco Velazquez del Campo. This ship had been built in Jamaica and at 235 toneladas, was quite a bit bigger than Bernardo Somoza´s ship. It was considered to be a good strong ship for the trip but we know nothing about her return journey.
Source: A.G.I. – Contratación 1005

SAN MIGUEL ARCANGEL
Dispatched by the Viceroy of Peru, the San Miguel Archangel sailed as primer aviso under Juan Ramirez de Miranda, pilot Diego García and Captain Juan de Ostalaca from Portobelo for Spain on September 18, 1659. Six and half months later, the ship had not arrived in Spain and was feared to have wrecked. It was decided to send duplicates of all the correspondence on the next aviso to Spain in April 1660. On the backside of the letter there is a scribbled note “ The aviso ship under Juan Ramirez de Miranda wrecked on the coast of Florida” Included with this document is another longer report (23 pages) entitled “Testimonio sobre el despacho del navío San Miguel Arcangel que se despachó de aviso a los reinos de España por el Virrey del Perú a cargo de Juan Ramirez de Miranda” This deals with the financing and preparation of the ship to sail to Spain and there is no reference to what happened to it after leaving Portobelo. A list of the boxes of correspondence loaded on the ship is included. Nevertheless, it should be read through carefully in case there is any information on the ship itself. Juan Ramirez appears to have been a notable in Portobelo. In 1661, he was named notary of the city of Portobelo. It is suggested that further research on this man might shed some light on the aviso because he undoubtedly had cargo on board.
Source: A.G.I. – Santa Fe 43, ramo 3, n.10. Also: Panamá 58, n.1 Confirmación de oficio: Juan Ramírez de Miranda. 14 enero, 1662

JESÚS MARÍA
This aviso under Juan Bautista de Echevarría, sailed from Portobelo and was last seen in the Bahama Channel (Straits of Florida). The ship was leaking and was feared to have been lost in a storm. On its return trip to Spain, first it had sailed from Portobelo to Havana and then set off from the Cuban port on March 3, 1661
Source: A.G.I. – Indiferente 1182

In the different Audiencias (colonial government papers) of the archives, there is mention of two or three avisos which sank in this time period but for which we have no name:

- An aviso sailed from Portobelo on July 25, 1660 and wrecked “off the coast of Florida”. It is possible that this is the same ship as the one at Gega
Source: A.G.I. – Panama 22

- Mention of an aviso “which was lost” in a letter dated Panama, May 27 1659.
Source: A.G.I. – Panama 36

Anyways Dr Eugene Lyon seems to know something we don’t since Steven Singer wrote on his book ‘Shipwrecks of Florida” on page 134 1659 San Francisco y San Antonio a Spanish aviso vessel that wrecked at Gega present day Jupiter. Indians rescued 33 survivors. Source research by Dr. Eugene Lyon.

Victoria may have been a newbee when she did the report for you but to me Dr. Lyon is one of the best if not the best….

All the best,

Chagy……….

Panfilo

Feb 20, 2007
Chagy:
Marx states that in 1991 they found 29 gold bars from the Maravillas wreck and if you study them you find a founder stamp of Ribera/ Zaragoza which it would appear refers to the famous Zaragoza gold mine here in Colombia. That makes sense that the gold bars were not found aboard the Capitana but on the Maravillas as they would have been loaded in Cartagena after the accident on the Pacific side.
Panfilo

( )

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
And as I summarized, Dr. Lyon's synopsis of research
all the research we contacted with he, to provide
told a more complete story of a Sargent of Arms, I think
his name was Juan de something or other...

He came down to Gaega in a galley presumably rowed by
native Americans - from Saint Augustine, after hearing of
the wreck and its survivors....
who rescued 33 survivors - who then ordered him to
bring them to Havana.

The Sargent was siting his meritorious services years after the event,
in an attempt to gain a pension or stipend for his valued services
provided to the crown and house of trade.

What I am talking of was all known to us back in 1989 / 1990.
What you are quoting in - I can only guess from the period of 2006
From Victoria Staples Johnson is an expansion on the original work
Dr. Lyon's had her do in his and our behalf.

Peter and I went there (to Seville) because we wished to be part of the process
including the research - we were commissioning.

Dr. Lyon's subcontracted Victoria's services because he was then too busy working
on a deadline for a National Geographic Article.

My wife puts together our web site. She cuts and pastes like a lot of people
who research...

I've had a few wives.... Attached is a photo of the one I had at the time
when we were in Seville....

but, later, she ran off with a short order cook!

I prefer the wife I have now....
If you wish to go back to the beginning
Take a look at:

Attachments

• pict0014.jpg
    pict0014.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,845
OP
OP
Chagy

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Panfi

You know what is very interesting that out of the 2 gold bars found in the Jupiter site one had 3 small crescents punched into the bar and the other one was marked 400 Z1 Z

Could that Z be from Zaragoza

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
GOOD POINT ! :sign13:

At first I thought the bars were knock offs :o :o

planted at the site! {Now by no means am I attempting
to speak ill of Mc Sherry and his wife}.

I was a bit skeptical of them {the bars} as they were discovered very
close an announcement Marex was about to make about
a limited partnership offering with a $3,000,000.00 cap - of
which $1,000,000.00 was to go to the JWI research and
recovery effort.

I brought them to United Technologies and had them look into
the scribe marks you are talking about to see if there were any
trace metals from a modern day knife. :icon_scratch:

The spectrograph analysis came back clean and the bars appeared
to be genuine. Unfortunately the fund raising offering turned out
to be bogus - When it was shown to me I clocked the fund raiser
broke his jaw - and so ended the Marex relationship....

Mc Sherry was sent to the Bahamas where he went on to find the
other gold bars that very season for Marex.... :laughing7: :laughing7:

You gotta laugh about hine site! ;D :icon_sunny: :read2:

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Thank you Chagy :notworthy: :notworthy:
for helping to focus on what is really
important and that is the mystery of the Jupiter shipwreck
is yet to be fully explained and that the best part of this project
is still in front of all of us!

Whether it is the Sea Hunter crew or my crew the Adventure of Discovery
is still out there for all of us to share and enjoy..... :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Now this next photo is the real carrot!!!!

It is what we all should hope to find while working on the Jupiter Shipwreck
site!

Good luck when you are out there
and thanks once more
for doing your part! :notworthy: :notworthy:

Attachments

• 1659-60 liam golds (1).jpg
    1659-60 liam golds (1).jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 1,686
OP
OP
Chagy

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In 1657 Bernardo Somoza requested that his ship, the “San Francisco y San Antonio” of 60 toneladas cargo capacity and built in Seville (Spain) be granted a license to sail to Tierra Firme as an aviso (courier ship). The outgoing manifest for this ship is in the section Contratación of the Archivo General de Indias. In it, there is information on the ship, artillery, ship fittings and a complete crew list as you will read in the transcription and translation included further on in this report. This aviso left Seville in February 1658 for the ports of Cartagena and Portobelo. There is no evidence that it returned.

I would love to see the rest of this report. It may have important clues for further research....

OP
OP
Chagy

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Things that make you go Hummm?

“SAN MIGUEL ARCANGEL”

Dispatched by the Viceroy of Peru, the “San Miguel Archangel” sailed as primer aviso under Juan Ramirez de Miranda, pilot Diego García and Captain Juan de Ostalaca from Portobelo for Spain on September 18, 1659. Six and half months later, the ship had not arrived in Spain and was feared to have wrecked. It was decided to send duplicates of all the correspondence on the next aviso to Spain in April 1660. On the backside of the letter there is a scribbled note “ The aviso ship under Juan Ramirez de Miranda wrecked on the coast of Florida” Included with this document is another longer report (23 pages) entitled “Testimonio sobre el despacho del navío “San Miguel Arcangel” que se despachó de aviso a los reinos de España por el Virrey del Perú a cargo de Juan Ramirez de Miranda” This deals with the financing and preparation of the ship to sail to Spain and there is no reference to what happened to it after leaving Portobelo. A list of the boxes of correspondence loaded on the ship is included. Nevertheless, it should be read through carefully in case there is any information on the ship itself. Juan Ramirez appears to have been a notable in Portobelo. In 1661, he was named notary of the city of Portobelo. It is suggested that further research on this man might shed some light on the aviso because he undoubtedly had cargo on board.

It seems that since it was an aviso vessel send by the Viceroy of Peru there was no need to stop in Havana. It sailed straight from Portobello to Spain. (Great opportunity to smuggle goods)

On Juan Ramirez testimony he mentions financing, preparation and a list of boxes with correspondence. There is no mention of precious metals and it seems that the location of the wreck was not important since it was only carrying correspondence.
There is no mention of a request for a salvage expedition.

Juan Ramirez de Miranda knew the exact location of the wreck. It makes you wonder why a wreck that was so close to shore never got salvage.

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Why it wasn't salvaged???

"Pissed off mean indians".....

Remember the Spanish never subjugated the southern
native american indigenous populations....

Knowing how bureaucrats operate..... :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :dontknow: :dontknow:
It is pretty evident that is one retired viceroy was smuggling stolen property and another
viceroy got his dick in a vice for opening up a mint with out complete acknowledgement from
da King...... :BangHead: :violent1: :BangHead: :violent1:

Everybody associated with this event wanted it to go away......
and, slip into oblivion. :wave:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread