Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello again!

I found myself with about 1 hour before I had a lunch date w my oldest relative from my grandfathers family. I helped him get his new laptop setup, and connect his email ect.

Anyways, I was going to do a easy in-town hunt, and I saw a current low tide of 5ft ( a high low tide ) - and I figured I would try to preciously unproductive but accessible street end beach. The downtown shoreline of Puget Sound townships at the turn of the 1900s were fish plants, lumber mills, wharfs and mosquitoe fleet docks. I don’t hunt these places very often because I usually just find large boat and dock pieces. At this spot, the best I’ve done is a kung-fu throwing knife, and junker ring. That was a year ago or so.

I walked onto the beach with a PMDA - positive metal detecting attitude. One of the phrases that passed through my brain was that I was going to look for a silver dollar. I dug a few high conducting lead wads. A fishing sinker and brass nails. I walked to where the rocks where a little larger, and I liked the deeper larger targets there. I was willing to dig any target, I wasn’t cherry picking silver dollar signals people! Sensitivity was on 13 or so. I’m Not sure what was interfering so bad, but because of all the junk and iron here, I had to run it low.

What I remember before I dug the only coin of the day was that the signal was pegging the machine, but it was smaller than a popcan. I pulled some gravel back and pinpointed a nail or two in the peripheral. I pick the machine and found the high toned signal about half a foot to the left. I stab and scrape. My orange pinpoiner is still turned on from honing in on thoes nails, but I don’t need the orange stick. I see a freakin Morgan dollar in the ground. It wasn’t too far from the top of the beach, so it wasn’t full purple in color.

With this Orange and black stained dollar in the hole, ready to be harvested and examined, I dare not even touch it until I called someone to be on the phone with me. My dad picked up and I cheered to him about the dollar I dug on a beach he has been familiar with for 70 years. “What’s year is it?” He asks, I tell him, “jeepers, I don’t know” and With that I now have permission to pluck the precious coin. “1893” I tell my pops. I was happy to have a coin from the 1800s. I only have a few this old. I flip it and it registers an ‘s’ mintmark. I assume it’s a common coin. I’m actually excited to dig a Morgan I can fondle. While on the phone, I look at the online price guide and see the numbers. I look at the date and mintmark to double check. I double check the guide and mintage number. I google it. The numbers add up - 100,000 minted. I realize on the phone w my dad that I dug the key date Morgan dollar!

1893 - s Morgan dollar

DE96ECC9-5C9C-4FEE-B0E7-10A824ABE66E.jpg
6A29F1B6-2578-4A7D-83EB-44C8A42ADCD4.jpeg

I went to my cousins and helped him out, and got to do a little show-and-tell w the dollar the retirement home. The guys at our lunch table liked it.

I’ll be back soon to this spot, but my hopes are not too high! I really think a gold coin could be possible though - I just need to keep my PMDA ;p

Last edited:
Upvote 53

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a nice Morgan dollar find! It's rarity and value is more than most gold coins. My banner vote is in! :icon_thumleft:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find though ED grade still an awesome find Thanks for thegreat story also Banner also

Last edited:

93civEJ1

Greenie
Feb 18, 2019
TN
Detector(s) used
Harbor Freight 9 Function
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what does Banner mean?

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CoinFetcher, what an incredible find. This coin in certified mint condition can run in the $100,000 plus range. I am curious what your coin will be rated. What a great story and pictures. Keep up the PMDA and keep finding silver. Thanks for sharing. The history behind that coin would be amazing.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should get big bucks for that one .1893 Morgan dollar is banner for sure.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
One has to wonder if the coin was dropped (lost) by someone on their way to Alaska during the Klondike Gold Rush and if so, whether they made it there and back and whether they found a fortune in Gold or came back destitute!:icon_scratch:

Last edited:

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My understanding is that a find is a note worthy find as determined by Treasure Net Moderators. Members can weigh in by casting their own vote by clicking the reddish looking cell at top right of each post. Members don’t really have a final vote but their input is apparently considered. I hope this is helpful.

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One has to wonder if the coin was dropped (lost) by someone on their way to Alaska during the Klondike Gold Rush and if so, whether they made it there and back and whether they found a fortune in Gold or came back destitute!:icon_scratch:

That's an excellent speculation "huntsman53". Stands to reason that dollars could have been lost around the piers & docks at "The downtown shoreline of Puget Sound townships" because of all the hustle & bustle of "The Rush", especially getting on & off boats in cold, inclement weather. Many of the poor souls never came back at all. Great find by "CoinFetcher"

I'm going to post a picture but it comes out blurry. If one clicks on the image, it will enlarge & become clear & sharp. I don't know how to overcome that. Cheers.
1893-S Morgan unrestored.png

Attachments

• 1893-S Morgan.png
    1893-S Morgan.png
    240.6 KB · Views: 128

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a follow up to the previous post; I printed "Before Professional Restoration" on the image in case "Coin Fetcher" decides to go
that route. I know their are differences of opinion as to restore or not restore, but if "restoring", one should NEVER attempt
to do it personally if it is a rare coin. Better to pay the fee to professionals like PCGS so as to get an "official" documentation and
grade opinion etc. (If they deem it gradable & restorable at all). That being said, because of the aforementioned story/speculation,
it may be better to just leave it as found. There may be collectors out there that like it that way because of its unique character &
story of where it was found. The coin is a great relic from that area going to & from the historic few years of The Klondike Gold Rush.
Cheers.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Send it one of the professional services. You will destroy the value - don't do anything to it. BANNER.

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
Please dont do anything with it..... Send it in to let PCGS decide what to do. If you remove the oxidation layer you will lose much detail. They will likely label it environmentally damaged and you can request it be slabbed anyway as it appears to have AU details. Its a great key date filler for someone that can afford a MS coin.

OP
OP
CoinFetcher

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just talked to my buddy Paul who owns a coin shop, and he told me to call NGC. Apparently they’re on Florida time so I’m going to wait until tomorrow. I’m going to get it encapsulated and noted as genuine, asap!

I’m still in the ‘pinch me’ state! I’ll be more grounded once after a little distance from the epic day!

I hunted all day today, and did not find any silver dollars ;p

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would drill a hole in it and make a necklace

Sure I would

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just talked to my buddy Paul who owns a coin shop, and he told me to call NGC. Apparently they’re on Florida time so I’m going to wait until tomorrow. I’m going to get it encapsulated and noted as genuine, asap!

I’m still in the ‘pinch me’ state! I’ll be more grounded once after a little distance from the epic day!

I hunted all day today, and did not find any silver dollars ;p

Sounds good. Best wishes for more epic finds !!!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread