Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
last 3 weeks have been skunks on halves and dimes..........well did my dimes and they were skunk..AGAIN!

started my halves, went thru over a half of the box with nothing, then got 1-40% half. A couple rolls later I spotted a solid silver rim and I was hoping for a walker but never dreamed I would get what I did.......

....1938-D....in sweet shape too. It has a real odd toning, but the condition is great. I'd guess it is an easy XF...what do you think?

No matter what it grades at, all I know is 2 things........491,000 minted, and I got it for 50 cents!!!!!!!

:hello2: DSC02484.JPG DSC02483.JPG

Upvote 0

OtraVez

Aug 14, 2011
Akron, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you did a little dance after finding that :D I know I would.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find, all of my walkers have been 1942p, not to mention I only found 3 over the years, ha.
HH
Buff

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find! I'm jealous. I've found 10 Walkers... all different dates.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been awhile since anyone pulled a key date Walker here. Congrats Goes4ever!! I know you're not suppose to clean rare coins but can that (vinyl residue?) be easily removed? I think the last one to find a 38-D on here was Treasurefiend.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice i know every time i find one it makes me smile.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Easily XF! I have to pay $100+ for a coin like this.

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope you did a little dance after finding that :D I know I would.
It is a must do action when one finds a key or a semi key date coin. When I found my 1926S penny I did a dance, but I did it in my mind. Otherwise people around would seriously think that I'm syko for dancing over some old penny like crazy.
Beautiful shape, I would say XF-40.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, nothing wrong with a big silver Walker!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
First a key date 1916 D merc, now a key walker, how lucky can a guy get? Nice coins! I found a 38D walker myself by rollhunting, although I found it in a roll of halves that I bought for more than face value off a line teller. Congrats on the find and keep em coming!

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been awhile since anyone pulled a key date Walker here. Congrats Goes4ever!! I know you're not suppose to clean rare coins but can that (vinyl residue?) be easily removed?

Only with Acetone and nothing else, no rags, no rubbing, no poking. Simply let it set in a covered Acetone bath for a couple of minutes and then rinse with fresh Acetone then rinse with running water. Pat dry with a microfiber cloth and that is all that should be done.

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only with Acetone and nothing else, no rags, no rubbing, no poking. Simply let it set in a covered Acetone bath for a couple of minutes and then rinse with fresh Acetone then rinse with running water. Pat dry with a microfiber cloth and that is all that should be done.
will acetone remove that ugly blotchy stuff? I think it really hides the details, the pics do not do this coin justice, it is simply stunning..........and I do remember when treasurefiend found his 1938D :hello2:

OtraVez

Aug 14, 2011
Akron, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
will acetone remove that ugly blotchy stuff? I think it really hides the details, the pics do not do this coin justice, it is simply stunning..........and I do remember when treasurefiend found his 1938D :hello2:

Try it with a crappy coin first :D There are several nice how-to's using this method on coin talk.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It should it might require a longer soak. Make sure to cover the Acetone (From a paint store, not nail polish remover) or it will evaporate. Make sure that you wear gloves when working with that stuff, the rubber ones I had dissolved right in front of my face....

Also make sure that you rinse the coin in fresh Acetone before you rinse in running water. Soaking a coin for a couple of days will not hurt it whatsoever, just have faith that it will work as I have seen some
serious results using this method.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
OMG.... you must be special... with your MD'ing finds, and your CRH'ing finds.... What were you doing in a past life is all I wanna know?

Congrats... dude, do not, I repeat do not do anything to that coin.... (Unless you are professional)... In a very short amount of time, I have built a good relationship with a few coin dealers around me, and any of them would gladly help me with a project like that for free... There are just to many things you can do wrong in a situation like that.... PM me if you care for, or need any specific details. I hope u havent already. Even something as simple as tap water running over it can F' that coin up..... Do you have any idea what it is in your tap water? whoever suggested that? I know mine has all sorts of shiz, chlorine, flouride, who knows what else, but last time I "rinsed" harmlessly a good lookin coin, it turned brown and green...... USE Distilled water only.

Chris.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread