1.5 MB · Views: 138

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You may have to lightly sand the whole sheath to make it look even. The tape has a glue substance in it. Lightly with some 320 grit. After it's off, a little saddle soap. Nice buy.

OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the hand hook has a marking - I see Bangor Maine - and other stuff .

Attachments

• DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 95
  • DSCF0005.JPG
    DSCF0005.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 116
  • DSCF0008.JPG
    DSCF0008.JPG
    879.2 KB · Views: 96

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
though Someone else may Step in & say "no Don't" :tongue3:
I'd personally try WD 40 to get rid of the duct Tape Crap.
& I'd Think the Oil would also rejuvenate the Leather.
I like WD for removing Sticky Substances.
Just not sure I'm Right on it's Reaction on Leather.

as for whoopie pie's.I would have said no thanks. I Haven't had one of those since I was about 15.
I Think I liked the First One, and pigged out on them.
But at some Point the Chocolate got to be Too much
and Made me ill. Never ate them Since.
There is an Amish Family along my travels,
has a sign out that says they Sell them Every Friday.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
History of the Snow & Nealley Tool Company from the Victory Seed Company

History of Snow & Nealley

The city of Bangor was a hub of Maine's thriving logging and shipbuilding industries. Charles Snow and Edward Bowdoin Nealley saw a growing demand for durable, high quality tools. They opened a shipping chandlery in 1864, and thus Snow & Nealley was born. With Edward Nealley managing operations, the company quickly became very successful. During Edward's 33-year tenure, Snow & Nealley introduced the popular axes and mauls that would become the cornerstone of the Snow & Nealley brand.

Founder, Edward Nealley
William Pope Nealley, Edward's son, succeeded his father as president in 1897, and recognized that while the advent of steam had eliminated the shipping industry's need for chandler's skills, the logging industry still thrived upriver from Bangor. With the Bangor & Aroostook Railroad and the North American Railway opening vast forests for development, steel tools were needed everywhere in Maine.

The young Nealley eventually bought out Snow, and the company prospered under William's guidance. The growing middle class that emerged after World War I created a demand for tools to use around the farm and at home. Snow & Nealley responded by introducing new axe models for home use. In 1920, William discussed the possibility of marketing Snow & Nealley's products through a catalog owned by a southern Mainer named Leon L. Bean. The collaboration between Snow & Nealley and L. L. Bean endured for decades.

When William died in 1933 shortly after the Great Depression gripped Maine, his son Edward Bowdoin Nealley II took over as corporate president of Snow & Nealley. Edward ran the company for the next 23 years, managing it successfully through the Great Depression, World War II and Korea.

In 1956, Edward's son, William "Bill" Bowdoin Nealley was named the company's fourth president. During the next 25 years, Bill managed the company through various challenges including a fire that leveled the Snow & Nealley factory in the late 1950's. When Bill died in 1984, his wife Lois Nealley became president and encouraged the development of a line of Snow & Nealley garden tools, which today comprised more than 70% of the company's business into the turn of the 21st century.

An avid gardener, Lois drew on her enjoyment and intimate knowledge of the hobby to influence the design of Snow & Nealley's garden tools, testing every new prototype in her own garden. Ergonomically designed handles and special long handles for older gardeners or those who may be confined to wheelchairs were among the successful concepts Lois introduced.

Foundry In Action
All tools are forged in brick furnaces, sharpened by hand on stone grinding wheels, and carefully assembled.
These innovations, coupled with transitions in Maine's economy in the 1980's, marked the shift to garden tools as Snow & Nealley's primary product line.

Unfortunately, in the global economy that American companies are now forced to compete against, the playing field is not level and the cost of manufacturing tools here has become cost prohibitive. The garden tool line was discontinued on February 2, 2004. The company will focus their efforts on continuing to produce axes.

Last edited:

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi mojjax,

This Shrade Walden knife was more intended as an small game processing knife and was sometimes called the "Sharpfinger". This is owing to the fact that you can place your index finger behind the raised point at the top back of the blade and it seems that you're using your finger to make the cuts.
I'd try "Goo Gone" on the tape residue, usually available at Wally World and most grocery stores in the cleaning products isle.
If you wanted to restore/refresh the handle consider 400 wet or dry used with diluted saddle soap.
Depending on how far you want to go to restore the blade use either wet/or dry wrapped around a firm back, oak (1/2" x 1/4") form, or metal finishing stones 1/2" x 1/4" lubed with something like K1 kerosene or WD-40 (which is a carcinogen). They are available from "Falcon Tool" that caters to the injection molding industry. If you use something like a belt sander (Not Recommended) always keep the blade cool by quenching it in water often. Finally sharpen the blade on a 2 sided whet stone with kerosene for lube and finish on a leather strop.
Throughout my career I used to cut knife blanks out of old rotary sawmill blades and this was one of the most blanks. I'd give them away to the guys in the metal and plumbing shops and teach them how to finish them. Unfortunately the best one I ever made was weaseled away from me my a woman from New Zealand but that's another story.
I also a made Puma Style weight forward blade but I never shared them.

Good luck----Phil

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The knife is very cool. Free whoopie pie is hillarious thought

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a cool knife. I like the old hook too. Couple of good buys. Congrats

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The knife is very cool. Free whoopie pie is hillarious thought
Yeah, I don't guess I've ever heard of a whoopie pie before. Must be a northern thing. Moon pies were big when I was a kid.

Nice scores on the hook and knife. I think I have that same knife and sheath.

OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jeff , WD40 worked great . It turns out there's some images on it - a stag head , a fish , and a pheasant .

Attachments

• DSCF0009.JPG
    DSCF0009.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 86
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like the hand hook! :occasion14:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
is a whoopie pie what I think it is?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whoopie pies around here were sort of a Sandwich made of Chocolate Cake Instead of Bread.
And Marshmallow Instead of Meat. & way too much Sugar

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mobile, AL has their MoonPie drop every New Year's eve. Suck it NYC.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I knew as soon as I read the words, "whoopie pie" it had to be written by someone from Maine. Love to see all your picks Mojjax. Before I went on my diet I would have bought two somethings. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread