The Lessons I Learn Detecting...

FooserPaul

May 9, 2008
Somewhere in CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Hello all!

Let be start by saying I'm noobsauce here... meaning... Hi my name is Paul and I've been an addict for 2 months now... :-)

I started detecing with a Bounty Hunter LandStar... I found clad... a 1911 Bronze Australian Penny and a few wheat pennies... as I read I knew I wanted a high end detector... and after spending a few weeks reading and asking on the boards... I settled on Minelab's X-Terra 70.... I found a 1951 Silver Roosie and a few days ago Dug a nice '34 Walking liberty...

Yesterday with the family we were in a town across the river from us. We were driving around enjoying the day and my mine is scopping detecting locations :-)

I spot an old school... a few parks... I head over to that older school built in the 1890's. I was dugging clad... 70's to the 90's... 2 nickles, 4 dimes... 7 pennies... I decide to try the playground out back... but it appears to be use as a park by the local community being as the school is closed and I'd need a smaller coil than my 10.5 MF DD.

I head back to the front of the school, but closer to the building.. I am getting lots of faint signals... and depth is all over the place... I keep going... You know... in a hurry for that big find!

The next faint signal... I pinpoint... rescan... 40-42 and but there, its not there... I decide to pull the plug to scan... Its there... its not there... I pull one scop of dit and I see the mercury sitting there at an angle...

What did I learn.... ???

1st Merc Head 1941S.jpg

Go SLOW, Learn -n- Trust your Detector and.... ENJOY THE JOURNEY!

I only had about 90 minutes there... I'll be back after the picnic tonight... I'm sure there is more "JOURNEY" there for me to enjoy :icon_king:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the post nice pics :thumbsup:

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
I'm curious, FooserPaul. You started with a Land Star and "graduated" to an X-Terra 70. I have a Land Star and a few weeks ago almost bought a 70.

My reason for not buying it is that it doesn't have any coin icons and I don't feel like becoming an encyclopaedia of numbers, I need a little help from the machine to tell me what it guesses is in the ground. as long as I'm detecting in America and the majority of buried coins are American. The 70 is impressive, no doubt and I still look at the instruction video once in a while. Still a contender.

Wh did you switch from the LS to the 70? What was the LS lacking and did you find it with the 70?

Silver Fox

OP
OP
FooserPaul

FooserPaul

May 9, 2008
Somewhere in CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
LandStan vs the XT70... from my limited experience... Let be start by saying that I took them out and used them side by side for about 4 hours just to compair...

Basic Differences...

LandStar manual ground balance only works in All Metal Mode. Not only does the XT70 GB work in all modes, but it will track and adjust ground balance as you hunt and move to different ground on your hunt.

XT70 has a beach mode to compensate for the salt.

XT70 v/XFLEX and its coils with the chip in then << Great flexibility over the BH LS.

XT70 can work at 3kHz, 7.5kHz and 18.75kHz... The higher frequency allows you to work in greater mineralized soil and it best for gold hunting... BH LS is a fixed frequency MD'or.

XT70 has 28 Discrimination segments... BH LS has 8 or 10 as I recall...

XT70 has 3 built in discrimination patters and your can accept and reject specific objects... the LS BH only allow your to discriminate out all objects below and DISC setting...

XT70 has visual and audio pinpointing, BH LS only audio...

XT70 has up to 99 tones for target ID, HB LS has 3

XT70 uses 4 AA" batteries with a 40 hour life, BH LS 2 9V for about an 8-10 hour life.

XT70 has a prospecting mode...

XT70 is great when you have multiple objects in close radius... It will separate and identify them individually...

I'm sure there are more.. but its 6:30 in the am and I'm working on my 1st cup of Joe...

I still think that the BH LS is a good detector... my daughter uses it with me... the XT70 help the detectorist with a little more discerning information and can help with the allowing multiple freq's, modes and higher degree of discrimination...

Just get the coil over a good target and know your rig...

Paul

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
FooserPaul said:
- snip -
Paul
Sold! :thumbsup: :-\

Seriously, though, I gotta wait for the FISHER F5 to be proven. Then I'll probably decide between the two. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Silver Fox

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread