"THE LIONS" MINERAL WATER WORKS CO.LTD 1906

bcboy

Nov 2, 2006
British Columbia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
"THE LIONS" MINERAL WATER WORKS CO.LTD 1906

Hi there , I went bottle digging today and I dug up this bottle. It says "The Lions Mineral Water Works CO.LTD 1906". I Googled searched it but could not find any info on it and was wondering if anyone might know anything about it? Thanks.

Attachments

• thelions 012.JPG
    thelions 012.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 547
  • thelions 013.JPG
    thelions 013.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 550
  • thelions 014.JPG
    thelions 014.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 510
  • thelions 015.JPG
    thelions 015.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 524

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Re: "THE LIONS" MINERAL WATER WORKS CO.LTD 1906

What are the rest of the words on the bottle? Whats that say, Medal Brussels? How about above The Lions? Anything on the bottom? Just trying to narrow the search down. :thumbsup: Where was it found? In Canada? Thanks. jgas

OP
OP
bcboy

bcboy

Nov 2, 2006
British Columbia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000

Hi there, on the bottom of this bottle, it says "GOLD MEDAL BRUSSELS 1906" and abouve "The Lions" it says "NET CONTENTS 7 FL OZ" and on the very bottom of this bottle is an L with a picture of a star. Thanks

OP
OP
bcboy

bcboy

Nov 2, 2006
British Columbia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000

Here's a picture of the bottom.

Attachments

• thelions 016.JPG
    thelions 016.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 510

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

Wow, tough one here...I looked up Brussels for their World Exhibitions but theirs was in 1911 I think. So that might not work. Being that it says Gold Medal it obviously won a medal at a show for Mineral Waters. Not sure, but I am still searching. jgas

OP
OP
bcboy

bcboy

Nov 2, 2006
British Columbia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000

Hi there Jgas, I appreciate your help. I looked for awhile and have still not found any information about this bottle. I dug this bottle up at an old mining camp dump in British Columbia, Canada, I hope this might help. Thanks

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

bcboy ~

The reference below to a Canadian bottle maker's mark sounds like it might fit ... but with two exceptions: 1. The dates 1890-1898 (when this company was in operation) don't jive with your 1906 date. 2. It refers to "fruit jars" which doesn't jive either.

L.G.CO. arranged around a star with the words "ACME/Trademark 1893"... Lamont Glass Company, Trenton & New Glasgow, Nova Scotia, Canada (1890-1898). Seen on the face of fruit jars.

So I guess it's the ...( Canada - L.G.CO. - Star ) ... that makes me wonder if there is a connection of some kind. Some Google research may turn up more. So far this is the only thing I found that even came close.

Nice bottle in any event. Thanks for sharing.

SBB

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida

You haven't shown us the full lip, but I am assuming that it is a machine-made crown lip.

Working with that premise, I would guess that your mineral water bottle was made in the 1930s. It might be categorized with "deco soda" bottles. It is a nice-looking bottle, ornate even. The strong embossing is appealing.

If your bottle, and lots of deco soda bottles, were made in the 1930s, here's what I believe is more typical of the 1920s.

mineralwaterberrysprings.jpg

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA

It is clear from the first picture that it is indeed and ABM bottle

1930's seems like as good a guess as any......

However, if someone told me it was from 1920 or even 1950 I wouldn't argue with them :dontknow:

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other

Lions Mineral Water Works was in Vancouver BC.....

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Regarding the 1906 date ... Is there a volume amount on the bottle? I.E. 7 oz. / 10 oz.

There are exceptions to every rule, and the exception here is that a U.S. Food and Drug act would not necessarily apply to a Canadian product. However, there "may" be a connection. Below is a copy/pasted text explaining how "The Gould Amendment" to the U.S.F.D.A. act of 1906 required all food and drug related products (including soda bottles) to have the content amount on them. But note the deadline was not until 1914. I often use this for U.S. soda bottles as a means to date them. Typically any embossed soda bottle with the content amount (ounces) on it would likely date after the 1914 deadline.

On March 3, 1913, Congress passed H. R. 22526, generally known as the Gould Amendment to the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906. Although the Pure Food and Drug Act demanded a great deal of labeling information, it did not require the inclusion of volume specification. The Gould Amendment corrected that oversight when it stated that the "quantity of the contents be . . . plainly and conspicuously marked on the outside of the package in terms of weight, measure, or numerical count" but continued to explain that "reasonable variations shall be permitted." Although the law went into effect immediately, it clarified that "no penalty of fine, imprisonment, or confiscation shall be enforced for any violation of its provisions as to domestic products prepared or foreign products imported prior to eighteen months after its passage" (U. S. 1913:732). In other words, the industry actually had a grace period in required compliance until September 3, 1914.

OP
OP
bcboy

bcboy

Nov 2, 2006
British Columbia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000

Thanks everyone for your help in trying to identify his bottle, it seems to be a tough one, as no one has seen one before and theres no info on the internet so far that I can find on it. Just to answer SODABOTTLEBOB, yes there is a volume amount on the bottle, at the top it has listed 7FL.OZ. So thats very helpful to know for the rounds about date of this bottle. Im sure one day ill figure it out. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread