The little old lady with silver, Fact or Fiction?

wheres_wheatie

Sep 2, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/ Carrot
Fact!!!
Went to my local drop off bank yesterday and the teller told me their branches in the town over all have coin sorting machines (for teller use) and I would not have to wrap coins if I used them. I went today with $1000- in halves from 2 skunk boxes :-[
It worked great the tellers used a chair to wheel the boxes into the backroom and told me it would be a few minutes(took about ten the tellers have to change out the machine every 200- for some reason). While I was waiting I could hear dumping change echo throughout the bank(my coins being dumped). In the middle of all the noise I heard the distinct sound of silver. Thought to myself oops... what have I done but the sound did not come from the back. I saw a little old lady walking from one of the tellers cash in hand and out the door so I walked past the teller and she was stacking silver half's into her coin tray. I walked up and said "can I buy those from you". She seemed to know exactly what they were and why I wanted them. She even pointed out one was a proof.
Total:
26- 40%
1- proof

More then I have gotten from my last twelve boxes! Only wish I had a chance to talk to the old lady could have given her more then face and who know if she has more? should I steak out the bank or what... ;D

Upvote 0

Joliet Jake

May 10, 2005
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Great find, and the teller sold them to you at face value rather than keeping them for herself, nice.

Here is my "little old man" story, from yesterday:

I was at my bank returning a sack of halves from my last box search (got $500 back, guess what smelly animal that box was). As I am leaving, I notice the very old guy behind me has a bunch of white plastic grocery bags at the counter. He is returning loose change from one, and a coffee can of change from another. As I walk out, I hear him say "I have some silver ones in here". I see he has a third bag and tell him "You really should take those to a coin shop, as they will give you much more than face value." He said he just wanted to get rid of them. I looked in the bag, and Jack and Ben were mixed with a bunch of silver washington quarters! I again said he should take them to a coin dealer, and when he said he wasn't interested, I offered him twice face value for the lot. He was surprised, and said "sure". We took his coins to an empty desk, and I counted 19 silver halves and 34 quarters. I offered him $40 for the lot, and he was thrilled. He said he had more coins at home (lots of old nickles, Immy!), so I gave him my phone number. When I got home I found a few of the quarters were 1965-1969s (not silver), but still, I was happy to rescue the silver from the coin counting machine.

I normally hate paying more than face for coins, as CRH is all about free (face value) silver, but this guy was very old (I am old, and he was real old looking to me, ;) ) and I felt good that at least he got something extra for coins he probably had stored for 40 or more years. I do wonder how many wheaties and silver dimes he had in that coffee can.

Total count 2 Bens, 12 1964s and 5 1965s halves, and 26 silver '61-'64 Quarters .
Like you said Wheatie, more than I've found in the last month!

This is probably where most of the silver we find in boxes comes from.

Attachments

• TF-OldManCoins.jpg
    TF-OldManCoins.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 223

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
Nicely done!

Those quarters look like they have a tape mark where they were held in a Whitman Folder. Did you get lucky and get a 32D?

Joliet Jake

May 10, 2005
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
65gt350 said:
Those quarters look like they have a tape mark where they were held in a Whitman Folder. Did you get lucky and get a 32D?

Yes, definitely tape marks on most of 'em. Big quarter stack is 1964, next biggest 1963, next biggest 1962, and one 1961.

No tape marks on any halves.

prizm II

Dec 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites prizm II
Two great stories and I think what CRH is all about, we are not here to rip off people for their silver. We take it where we find it but also help others get a fair deal to. Good Karma.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread