Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Welp, my friend tried to access Lime Creek from Lime Creek Road and got stuck in deep snow covering the road. He didn't get but a few hundred feet from US-550. Guess we will have to wait on photos until things melt off a bit. To be continued....

Hello Matt there is perhaps many people here await with interest.

Crow

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a little thought experiment I have been running on this story. Lets assume for a moment that piece of sugar quartz the size of your fist, laden with free gold, WAS indeed found where Twilight Creek and Lime Creek meet. That would be a fairly heavy specimen. Now supposedly Carson found his vein up at the head of Twilight Creek. However, there is a basin up at the head of the creek, and also a small mountain pond in the middle of it. These kinds of ponds/small lakes are very common up in the high country, and usually aren't more than 20 feet deep or so. But where they start draining down the watershed (at least on the surface) there is always an area of ground higher than the bottom of the pond. Otherwise the pond would not form in the first place, and the runoff would never accumulate there.

So then, does that mean the vein must be in a place where any chunks like our fist sized specimen of ore in question would NOT fall into such a pond? If the vein were in the upper basin in a place where ore eroding from it were to fall down into that pond, wouldn't it remain there in that pond until the lip holding the pond back were to erode away?

Of course, it may have taken that fist sized chunk of ore thousands of years to arrive at the bottom of Twilight Creek. But I can't help but wonder how it would get there at all if it were to fall to the bottom of a basin pond. Which MAY mean the vein was located in an area where ore chunks could erode out and fall down the watershed without falling in pond areas.

Last edited:
OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or Carson may have simply dropped a piece of ore down near the bottom of Twilight Creek! :laughing7:

OR there may be more than one vein outcropping in the Twilight Creek watershed. Just exploring all the possibilities.

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It also occurs to me it may be worthwhile to explore the lowest, deepest points in those basin ponds on the Twilight Creek watershed. There are two such ponds...

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Here is a little thought experiment I have been running on this story. Lets assume for a moment that piece of sugar quartz the size of your fist, laden with free gold, WAS indeed found where Twilight Creek and Lime Creek meet. That would be a fairly heavy specimen. Now supposedly Carson found his vein up at the head of Twilight Creek. However, there is a basin up at the head of the creek, and also a small mountain pond in the middle of it. These kinds of ponds/small lakes are very common up in the high country, and usually aren't more than 20 feet deep or so. But where they start draining down the watershed (at least on the surface) there is always an area of ground higher than the bottom of the pond. Otherwise the pond would not form in the first place, and the runoff would never accumulate there.

So then, does that mean the vein must be in a place where any chunks like our fist sized specimen of ore in question would NOT fall into such a pond? If the vein were in the upper basin in a place where ore eroding from it were to fall down into that pond, wouldn't it remain there in that pond until the lip holding the pond back were to erode away?

Of course, it may have taken that fist sized chunk of ore thousands of years to arrive at the bottom of Twilight Creek. But I can't help but wonder how it would get there at all if it were to fall to the bottom of a basin pond. Which MAY mean the vein was located in an area where ore chunks could erode out and fall down the watershed without falling in pond areas.

Well, if you DO have a "Run-Off", you MAY well have some "Placer-Gold" in your future... ready for some "GOLD-panning"...?

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you kidding me? I always have a gold pan with me in the high country!

I am wondering if I shouldn't perhaps take some waders up Twilight Creek so I can metal detect the ponds. The upper one looks like it may be too deep for waders, but the lower one looks shallow. Of course, that water up there is usually cold as ice, so waders might help.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

I am wondering if I shouldn't perhaps take some waders up Twilight Creek so I can metal detect the ponds. The upper one looks like it may be too deep for waders, but the lower one looks shallow. Of course, that water up there is usually cold as ice, so waders might help.

YEP! ICE COLD! Brrrrrrrr!

Apr 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lost Carson Mine

Please PM me, I will be traveling up that way and am a young experienced hiker looking for an adventure. Looking to spend a few days in the locations mentioned near twilight peak.

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Feel free to take Lime Creek Road from US-550 over to the hairpin bend closest to Lime Creek/Twilight Peek. Then descend to where they meet, see if you can cross Lime Creek there, and start ascending Twilight Peak. If there is no hiking or game trail there, the biggest challenge will be thick tangled brush in the lower part of the watershed. There is your adventure. Don't go up unless you are well equipped, and acclimated to high elevations.

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, I found some info about some people who bushwacked up Twilight Creek all the way to the top of West Needle Mountain. Found out the hardest part was crossing Lime Creek, and waiting to hear from them about a place they said was safer to cross. But these are seasoned climbers who climb 14ers all the time, so don't expect it to be a cakewalk at all! But evidently the Carson Mine area can be accessed! I would not recommend anyone attempt doing so if they are not already living and hiking at high elevations! Trust me, you will not enjoy the experience if you come up from the flat lands, and are not in peak physical condition.

TwilightCreek.jpg

That is looking down at lower Twilight Creek basin pond.

TwilightCreekUpperBasinLake.jpg

That is the upper basin pond.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Feel free to take Lime Creek Road from US-550 over to the hairpin bend closest to Lime Creek/Twilight Peek. Then descend to where they meet, see if you can cross Lime Creek there, and start ascending Twilight Peak. If there is no hiking or game trail there, the biggest challenge will be thick tangled brush in the lower part of the watershed. There is your adventure. Don't go up unless you are well equipped, and acclimated to high elevations.

Have another "Hiker" with you, too. ALWAYS! HH! Good Luck!

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard from the guy who hiked up there along Twilight Creek, and he said the worst part is the very thick brush. He warned me he picked up several ticks from it. So be prepared if you try this.

rschneider3

Greenie
Apr 16, 2014
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
I've been reading through the thread, and enjoy the story. I would also like to get myself out there sometime to check it out. I have been through 550 a few times, and boy is that area rich with mines. So not extremely familiar with the area, but I do assume most of the traffic through there is from tourists with no real intention on panning for gold.

One thing about the sheep herders story... They set up base camp and Lime Creek and Twilight, I understand that sheep roam quite a big area, but I'm not certain they would have gone past the section of Twilight Creek that flows down the rock face about half way up. If you are heading up the creek to the summit, you'll notice the valley continues to the East while the actual creek comes from the North cascading down the rock face. Anyway, my point is, is that the sheep herder wouldn't have left his flock below timber line to go far in search of a mine or whatever he was doing. The vein may be closer to the tree line than we are thinking.

-Rick
Fort Collins, CO

Badlands Hunter1

Tenderfoot
Apr 30, 2015
Dakotas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am wondering if any of you folks have tried panning these particular drain ages. It could be that some places would hold gold like in the bigger pond mentioned away from the waterfall side. There could possibly be sediments with gold trapped on the down-stream side of a couple of the largest pools if there is significant amounts of rich ore falling into one or the other of these streams. (Though other streams in similar areas are cleaned out by the sheer volume of the water torrent.) May not work but thought it would be a place to start. If gold flecks are found in sand deposits you are likely on to something. Firstly the torrents probably ground-up what was much larger and secondly one of the few streams that can hold gold under these conditions indicates a richer ore-body feeding it from somewhere upstream. Just a thought. I have minimal experience with conditions like those, although I have seen those super-rugged, jagged mountains in a quick fly-over a time or two. It is super high big country where the world stands on edge and nothing but rock, 99% granite, and fragments thereof. And hopefully some quartzite with rich veins of gold in it. Here in the Black Hills the gold is i i'm on similar minerals. Like areas with quartz among granite and pyrite, according to my little experience.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

You make a very good point! I believe that you are correct in your leaning towards that the outcropping of Sugar Quartz with Gold in it, must in fact be below a point where any eroded out Gold would end up in the pond. That in itself should clear a lot of area that a person might have searched but now knows that the Gold deposit(s) should be below any areas where the Gold would end up in the pond. From when I earlier searched out this area on Google Maps, that is a lot of land that a person could have wasted time on searching.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread