PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

I have always heard of the Lost Dutchman. However, never did any serious looking into it. I have concentrated on my own treasure leads and am analyzing a find currently. In this process, I am reading a lot of old publications looking for ancillary references. (I am a LUE hunter... Another mythical treasure LOL.)

Ok, down to the point of this post. I have read multiple Prospector Gazettes written by Karl VonMueller. He has specifically said in several of them that the Lost Dutchman is a myth. I cannot comment myself as I have never looked into it nor researched any facts on the origins.

Can anyone offer some alternate insights into this? I am now intrigued by this treasure just to have an alternate point of comparison.

Thanks,

Patrick

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LD hunters don't like to hear it, but it is somewhat accepted that the Dutchman was a high grader, and simply had a stash hidden somewhere.

He worked at the Vulture mine near Wickenberg, and the gold he had supposedly matched.:dontknow:

Takes the fun out of the story, but it is what it is.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, pure dribble. Of course, the REAL Lost Dutchman's "gold mine," is the Industry that has grown up around the myth. Museums, tourist traps all around Apache Junction and Tortilla Flats, and the books! Oh my, the books! Some of the best fiction writers in the world. Want to find the LDM? Write a book, get the gold! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Terry,

Your post reminded me of something I heard once. During the California and Colorado gold rushes, the people who struck it rich were not the miners, it was the people selling shovels.

Actually, I just thought it was a fairly legitimate treasure lead, as much as any of the rest. I am curious about the origins now. It's really strange how I know have this desire to go find it. LOL. Figures.. Where is that white whale again?

Thanks again.

Patrick

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
patrickD lost dutchman HA, HA, HA , NOT in the superstitions,look around apache junction,its no secret who;s got the gold..np

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PatrickD

Don't listen anything . If you really believe how LDM exist , read about and follow your way . But if you have any doubt , keep looking for Lue gold .
Good luck

Marius

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'morning Patrick, coffee ?? Everyone must have a dream once in their lifetime to play with and possibly follow. In our case it is obviously finding a lost treasure, mine, city, or whatever.

When I was a lil kiddie back in 1823, the Illiad was my favorite, seconded by The King Arthur series. As I grew older, I found that I had been beaten on Troy, sigh. The Holy Grail has too many competitors at the moment, so I settled upon another highly illogical story -- The lost, legendary mine of the Jesuits, La Tayopa.

That I was sucessful is another story, the point is that we all must have an illogical dream, the Lue is one, the Lost Dutchman is another, perhaps that sunken ship ??? Perhaps Atlantis?

'We', in here, have tentatively located Atlantis just about where she should be, off of the coast of Spain. Her remains are evidenced in the shallows on the Coast of Spain, whch also coincidentally is the migration point for the Aztecs - Aztlan - .

So, never lose your dream of an lost mine, city, etc., just because no one has ever found it "YET".

Sides, it is a heck of a lot of fun. The luck of the OIRISH is with you Patrick, go get her, just remember, you owe me a cuppa coffe..

Don Jose de La Mancha

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Hi Everyone,

I have always heard of the Lost Dutchman. However, never did any serious looking into it. I have concentrated on my own treasure leads and am analyzing a find currently. In this process, I am reading a lot of old publications looking for ancillary references. (I am a LUE hunter... Another mythical treasure LOL.)

Ok, down to the point of this post. I have read multiple Prospector Gazettes written by Karl VonMueller. He has specifically said in several of them that the Lost Dutchman is a myth. I cannot comment myself as I have never looked into it nor researched any facts on the origins.

Can anyone offer some alternate insights into this? I am now intrigued by this treasure just to have an alternate point of comparison.

Thanks,

Patrick

KVM was no dummy and his statement is telling. Most myths that withstand the test of time were sparked by some forgotten truth-event. IMHO, there is a truth behind the LDM rumors that is likely completely different than the unverified hearsay that has mushroomed since the 1890's and has been embraced by the public. Just look at this forum category - almost 200 threads with 10,000 posts and the experts are still arguing about the Dutchman's name. I believe there is something of great value hidden away in the Gila/Salt vicinity, but the accepted LDM lore (all of it hearsay) has been proven to be the wrong chase vehicle. At least with the LUE, there are fewer 'clues' to consider.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sprinfield

The Lue have few clues , but critical . I have a work about . Maybe one day will comes his turn .

Marius

Dirty Dutchman

Dec 27, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PatrickD

Dont believe the people that tell you it's not out there. Most of them are just trying to keep people out of the mountains while they're searching for the mine. That or they never found it, so they think it must not be there.

There is no documentation that proves Waltz ever worked at the Vulture mine. Here is what Tom Kollenborn wrote:

[COLOR=rgb(13.724999%, 12.157000%, 12.549000%)]"JoePoterie, an assayer at the Vulture Mine, once examined some of the ore. He said itwas the richest bonanza ore he had ever studied closely. He said it was far richerthan the Vulture Mine or Rich Hill. William “Bill” Cage also examined Waltz’s oreand agreed with Poterie about the richness of the ore. "

Clay Worst tells the same story about Poterie.

The best you can do is read ALL of the information available and make your own decision.

Good luck,
Travis
[/COLOR]

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We found the LDM a few years ago! I even have a photo to prove it. I just wish the flash had worked.. :laughing7:

Attachments

• nbn6.jpg
    nbn6.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 182

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry

You not need flash light when you are with Cindy . Tell her , a lot kisses from me , because I lose her telephone number .

Marius

sgriffith59

Nov 19, 2007
Staunton IL 62088
Detector(s) used
White MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the late 70's I had been all over superstitous mountains, including weaver's needle. Didnt find anything, however, desnt mean it does not exist. Gold has been found on the old Peralta trail.
I do not think this was a mine, but a stash by Jesuits or the Peraltas themselves. This is a harsh climate and subject to flash floods and changing landscapes. All legends are based upon some truths.
As a metal detectorist, I have learned to always keep an open mind because you never know what will pop up, and if you exclude something as hogwash you may miss it.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We found the LDM a few years ago! I even have a photo to prove it. I just wish the flash had worked.. :laughing7:

Terry:

Don't get me wrong, because we do have at least one mutual friend that I know of, who's opinion of you I respect.
Because of this, I also believe if we were to meet, that we would probably like each other.

I do have to say I'm a bit suspicious of your motives in stating there is lack of good evidence for the LDM in the Sups, or that Waltz obtained his gold from it.
After all, you make a living from guiding groups of people interested in finding their own gold into areas where government regulations allow you to do so.
And you do include the link to to your business website at the bottom of your posts. But these regulations do not allow you to conduct your tours (far more expensive than I could afford) within the Sups. So far as I know, only Feldman is allowed to do so, and probably only by virtue of a "grandfathering" clause.
Therefore the greater the numbers who happen to be drawn away from the Sups and the LDM...if you can convince them it doesn't exist...the greater your potential for customers. Or at least that's the way I see it.

BTW-- I do agree with the way you have titled your "other product" on the first page of your site.
We obviously share the same sense of self depreciating humour.

Regards:SH.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread