The Lost Moscow treasure of Emperor Napoleon

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear All

After replying on another thread in connection with an enquiry on Lithuania, I felt the topic of the so called ''lost Napoleon treasure'' is worth a thread on its own and I would really want to hear from the veterans of the forum on the subject.

Napoleon had definitely gathered a huge treasure in his Europe-wide campaigns but I am specifically referring to the large treasure hoard that Napoleon amassed from Moscow and which some believe might have been hidden in or around Vilnius in Lituania amid his historic and terrible winter retreat and disaster,,some legends also refer the second city Kaunas in connection with Napoleon treasure. I post one link on the subject of Vilnuis related to Napoleon's treasure.The link explains version 4 of the whereabouts of the treasure,and you can see also the the other 3 versions. One thing is for sure based on historic facts-a big treasure hoard had left Moscow but it did not reach Paris.It would be nice to hear your opinions,,Vilnius and Kaunas in Lithuania seem the likely places in my opinion.

http://voiceofrussia.com/2010/11/26/35693683/

regards
tintin_treasure

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A treasure of that mass would be difficult to transport, let alone conceal. Surely under such harsh traveling conditions, parts were "pocketed". Still, the vast majority must be somewhere?
Keep us posted...
Peace

OP
OP
T

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the second possibility of around Kaunas-Lituania, I read in a book ''Secrets of the World's Undiscovered Treasures '' where the authors refer Kaunas in connection to Napoleon treasure and the persistent treasure legends rumored in the area.

tintin_treasure

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
intin-treasure, excuse me for being a kill-joy, but .... treasure stories are a dime-a-dozen. There's no shortage of "lost mine" and "lost treasure" type stories, that are all iron-clad. They're fun to read, and they simply must be true. Eh ? If you want to read a whole host more of them to chase, just pick up any treasure magazine from the 1960s or '70s. They were FULL of stage-coach robbery stories, lost mines, legends, etc... Throw in a few faded newspaper clippings, and a drawing of a miner posed next to his buro, then ....... it simply must be true, eh ?

The reason why they are so easy to take as gospel fact (and conveniently explain away or dismiss any counter-evidence), is that the human mind wants SO hard to believe in treasures. Afterall, no one wants to be "left out", right? So before long legends take on a mind of their own. JMHO.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its true Napoleon was known for NOT sharing his treasure, especially tater tots.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T Net!

Unless you live in that area it's going to be a long commute to go seeking that one!
If you just enjoy discussing the possibilities and all that's great!
Everybody should have a dream treasure to pursue for the fun and thrill of trying to match wits with the hider of the cache.

My thoughts on most large treasure caches is, was it really put there, has it been found or moved, what are my chances of finding it? If you do find it you better have a very good exit strategy for removing it.

I would rather go after the smaller ones, I have a better chance of finding one or several, and I'd be just as happy, free, and alive!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Costs an awful lot to feed an army in winter. There was probably nothing left to bury except dead Frenchmen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions