chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting a new site yesterday and the finds were few and the field was pretty quiet... there are a few things we found... my partner found a 1902 Indian Head

I found a local business token from this area
a ROGERS silver plated spoon
7 brass tractor valve stems... I assume they are tractor

so what I want to know is if theses items I found go back further than the 1902 Indian Head penny...

I posted the tractor valve stems and the spoon to help date the field... The token is the important artifact here.... at least for me.

now the token has a name on it and I have a few references I found on the net to a man named B.F. Allen but he was in the Iowa and Chicago area and was an investor in banking. What I'd like help in finding if its the same man and how did he get into mens clothing... I know after 1877 he moved out west but I don't know what happened to him then... I'd like to find more.

http://livinghistoryfarms.blogspot.com/2010/08/40-famous-iowans-bf-allen.html

http://surnamesite.com/biography/allen.htm

I don't know if its the same man... the only reference I have is his name... nothing else matches... I'd like to know more about this token and the man.

Chukers

Attachments

• Stems.JPG
    Stems.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 756
  • Spoon Final.jpg
    Spoon Final.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 764
  • front.JPG
    front.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 844
  • Back.JPG
    Back.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 845
Upvote 0

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: The man is the key to this token...

Yours looks every bit as good as the one pictured on eBay......that equals $45!! Nice find!

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cleetus said:
Cool! A Habberdashery Token :blob7:

a what?

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Roland58 said:
Yours looks every bit as good as the one pictured on eBay......that equals $45!! Nice find!

I got dozens and dozens of tokens it would be nice if they all would sell for that... but like most of you I'd never sell them unless I had to!

thanks

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Chukers,
Your profile indicates you are from Eastland. I suggest you contact the Reference Desk as your library. If they can't direct you to the history of Mr. Allen's store, then I'd ask them for the name and number of your local historian--and then contact that person.
And, no doubt, someone in the Eastland County Museum & Historical Society could assist you.
Good luck,
Don...

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

The valve stems are from Truck Tubes, screw on to tube type :icon_thumleft:

SS

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Score! Easy money! Awesome token. If I had found it I would probably keep it for the fact that its advertising a old company that use to exist. tokens are kind of like old bottles. Bottles with actual store names embossed on them are worth much more then those with just Eastland Tx. For example. VERY COOL TOKEN!

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon said:
Chukers,
Your profile indicates you are from Eastland. I suggest you contact the Reference Desk as your library. If they can't direct you to the history of Mr. Allen's store, then I'd ask them for the name and number of your local historian--and then contact that person.
And, no doubt, someone in the Eastland County Museum & Historical Society could assist you.
Good luck,
Don...

I am working on that... I am on a Facebook page "remember Eastland" kind of thing and Its full of (500+) people that were born and grew up in Eastland... so far none of them remember it... and some of those people were born and grew up as far back as 1920... so the hunt continues!

Thanks for the Ideas

Chukers

chinasmith

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2012
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
There won't be anyone alive today who recalls using the B. F. Allen token. This type of token was in use in the 1890's to 1910's period. An "outfitter" in this case is a clothing store, which may also have sold hats. Try a Google search of "b. f. allen" +eastland and see if that pulls up anything. Good Luck!

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chinasmith said:
There won't be anyone alive today who recalls using the B. F. Allen token. This type of token was in use in the 1890's to 1910's period. An "outfitter" in this case is a clothing store, which may also have sold hats. Try a Google search of "b. f. allen" +eastland and see if that pulls up anything. Good Luck!

Good Idea.... but still nothing... I haven't given up... I know there is some info on this place somewhere out there.

Chukers

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Cool finds :icon_thumleft:

There is a BF Allen listed in the Eastland, TX US Census for 1920. Showing as born about 1879 and employed in "Dry Goods". Wife is named Mildred. Also found this ad in a the Dallas Morning News (5/27/1923)

dc9cib.jpg

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bramblefind said:
Cool finds :icon_thumleft:

There is a BF Allen listed in the Eastland, TX US Census for 1920. Showing as born about 1879 and employed in "Dry Goods". Wife is named Mildred. Also found this ad in a the Dallas Morning News (5/27/1923)

dc9cib.jpg

wow! great research... that could be the same store... those kind of places had a little bit of everything like walmart does now days.... think back to little house on the prairie and Mr. Olsen's Store... it could of been like that...

that is so much more than I found or knew.... thank you very much!

Chukers

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It does sounds like a Haberdasher token....

A haberdasher is a person who sells mens items like clothes, ties... as well as mens needs like a fine razor and aftershaves and tonics etc.... and in the early days... probably a bottle or other novelties if it were a bit seedy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread