The Mayo-thon hunt

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
So we set out to a local park that I haven't hunted before, but really had no reason to suspect decisive goodies there. Spent several hours, lots of strange and unusual finds, the biggest rhinestone cowboy belt and buckle I've ever found, oh boy. Lots of clad, multiple pocket spills, keyring and my first derringer! It looked like brass or other than steel composition and split in two in my hand so I'm guessing toy/cap gun.

Broke for lunch, scouted the town, went to a park we've been to before. Haven't pulled silver there in a few years. After an hour of clad-handing the dirt I found a good luck token, "good for one wish" and handed it to Mayo. Before I could stop him he uttered those words,
"I wish we'd find some effin' silver!"

Geez, he burned my wish right in front of me off my token....

About ten minutes later I got this bouncy quarter signal (thanks Fiend!) and got to the old gravel parking layer under the dirt several inches down. Out popped a merc! Yeah! Sign me up boys, I'm diggin' silver with ya!

It was on end in gravel at about 5 inches and has some horrid corrosion near the fasces, most likely parking lot goo from decades past.

Attachments

• fatedsilver.jpg
    fatedsilver.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 159
  • fatedsilverback.jpg
    fatedsilverback.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 154

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Tim your on the silver chart!! What a guy letting someone else make a wish on your find. Good wish Mayo

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
WTG on getting over the "1st silver" hump.
Wish I could find a token like that! :thumbsup:

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS ON YOUR FIRST SILVER FOR THE YEAR!

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Nice Job :thumbsup:
The hasty wishing reminds me of a joke my dad told when I was probably 7 or 8. 3 different people (you can guess there was some sort of type/class/demographic each one belonged to). There was a magic hill that if you jumped off the cliff and made a wish, then you'd become what you wished for. The first fellow wished to be a millionaire, and so he was. The second person wished to become politically powerful, and it happened. The third fellow jumped of the cliff, before he thought about what he wished for and so he uttered "Oh S..." and that's what he became... Fortunately, Mayo's wish, though hasty, was at least for something good. The hasty part was including effing ... because that is one fugly dime. Congrats on it though!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now's when we all sit back and prepare to be amazed as he kicks it into high silver output gear!!! Awesome job buddy!!! :icon_pirat:

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well Tim got the make a wish token and the silver but I got the token(s) shown below.
I don't know - maybe my minelab is stuck on CLAD mode.
I wound up with two of the NCV tokens, 29 mem cents, 3 wheaties, 4 dimes, 1 nickel, 2 quarters, the used car lot shown below, and the large aluminum disc is a tobacco tin lid, the smaller one says DARWIN NO 40. Also not pictured was half of a toy pistol that was the biggest toy pistol I've ever seen. It may have been part of the belt and buckle set that Tim found.

When Tim showed me the token he got, I read it and it was like a command... "MAKE A WISH"
so I was compelled to, and I did. I just didn't specify how soon we get the silver, so I guess I have to wait a little longer. The very next silver I get will be attributed to the make a wish token. I'll even buy lunch.

It was fun in the woods with the gang signs all over the trees (I didn't realize there were nature gangs) and the mattress on the trail could provide hours of interesting viewing if someone sets up a wildlife cam on a nearby tree. Lots of potential.

Attachments

• NoCashValue.JPG
    NoCashValue.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 86
  • UsedCars.JPG
    UsedCars.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 121
OP
OP
Lowbatts

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yeah baby steps are the way for me. Feast or famine mode coming soon. But Kermit, it's Mayo who just about has the ETrac tweaked and we're about to witness the gnome's roaming ability as he kicks into high gear.

I got my silver for the year and am content to go back to totlot living until construction season brings them out for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread