Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The meat and Potatos of the gun bill that the senate will introduce.

Summary of 2013 legislation

Following is a summary of the 2013 legislation:
Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:
120 specifically-named firearms

Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one military characteristic

Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds

Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:
Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test

Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test

Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans

Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.

Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:
Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment
Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes and
Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons

Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:
Background check of owner and any transferee;
Type and serial number of the firearm;
Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm wondering if the people who refused to listen to me three years ago when I first started posting this stuff are listening to me now.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Of course registering grandfathered weapons is so they can locate them on band list #2,3,4&5. Frank

111-2 700 head of old man.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
You need a 3/4 majority to amend the constitution so that will never happen. Frank

111-2 700 head of old man.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A new admendment to constitution requires 2/3 vote of both houses of Congress to even propose an Amendment and 3/4 of the states to vote in favor of it, that would mean need at least 37 states in favor.... I don't see 37 states doing that at all............

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure why you think a new amendment or change to constitution would be necessary? The government/courts have been interpreting the 2nd amend since the beginning. There has been major major restrictions on fully auto weapons since the 1920s, etc. this was done in response to the broad availability of military automatic weapons that were finding there way into criminal hands. And the belief that these weapons had little legit use by citizens. I don't think there was a huge argument when this was done nor do I believe there are many folks out there who believe this should be changed.

Like automatic weapons, if society/gov/courts believe that assault rifles, high capacity mags, flash suppressors, or bayonet mounts do not serve a legit purpose in the hands of citizens they can restrict without trampling the 2nd.

I'm not pro or con but simply stating a constitutional legal opinion. The 2nd amendment has NEVER guaranteed ownership of any type of "gun". On a side note for the pro activists, i do believe the winds are changing. Personally id give up some of the weapons and accessories on the fringe of non military usefulness before the crackpots on the left look to take away everything. I do believe that the latest out of the NRA is very out of touch and is not doing thr cause any favors.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
stockpicker the way they work is one type of gun at a time. It's like the old saying you give them an inch and they will take a foot! They nibble away at what they don't like. It's like the car safety group. 40 years ago, the speed limits on the roads around here were 50. Now they are 25, 30, or 40. The roads are vastly improved and the cars are fantastically improved. The beltways are at least 3 lanes each way but sections are 50 MPH. There is no rime or reason or bargaining with special interest groups. They just want to take away your rights and have it their way. Look at our national parks and forests. The greens want them for their private hiking trails. The roads are being closed right and left. You just can't bargain with some things in life like freedom. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grandfathered and registered. What a load of crap. Frankn is right, not only will they know where all the rifles are for later confiscation, they will turn every one that doesn't register into a criminal. Instead of stopping criminals, they will create several million new ones.

I have collected quite a few guns over the years, inherited my Dad's collection, and Grandad's, if they ever come to my house to "register" my rifles, I'll be on the evening news. "Arsenal"..."Compound"..."stockpiled ammunition" are words they will use as they haul me away.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And that's the fear. My guess is that no one would ever make the argument to go after single shot hunting rifles or sporting shot guns. Personally I believe the vast majority of sportsman would be best off just to be honest and say that they don't need 100 round mags, assault weapons or bayonets (though I guess those deer can get real close) and stop fighting what the vast majority of Americans view as a bad fight. I think if the NRA was more proactive and was willing to deal with reasonable measures on very very finge weapons and assessories they would not find themselves in the position they are in. Don't let them play the "slippery slope card" on you - ie first they will ban 100 round clips and next goes little Johnny's 22. That's an invalid logical argument and used to scare the uneducated.

Fully autos have been basically banned for decades and decades and that has not led to a total ban on all fire arms - right?

Do away with some needless boy toys before the entire mainstream hunting and target shooting sports are hurt because some extremists think they need bayonet mounts ! Just my opinion as a hobbiest.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So would you wait, sell your whatever-an-assault-weapon-is-anyhow-and-by-who's-definition now, register the thing (s) or use your Sawzall to cut them into little tiny pieces?

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd never cut them up given their value. That being said you could prob make some good cash selling the things right now given all the fear of bans.

If my memory serves me right I remember when they tightened the rule on handgun ownership and my dad turned in his 38 he had on the top shelf for "home defense" to the police station.

Who knows how all this plays out. Obviously we are at a point where it's a big big hot button. Could cool down and go away. God knows the press and politicians will have something else to worry about as we hop off the fiscal cliff!! I would watch to see if the folks who oppose guns are able to create a strong national organization to go toe to toe with the NRA and big gun biz.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
0121stockpicker, you're right God does know.....

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to say it stockpicker,but thinking realistically,it isnt going to go away.It has only started and it will get much worse.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Sorry to say it stockpicker,but thinking realistically,it isnt going to go away.It has only started and it will get much worse.
It's also a great emotional diversion from paying attention to the fiscal cliff we are about to dive over .
>Better be watching your wallet as closely as you are watching your arms .

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe the gov will kill two birds with one stone and just tax the hell out of guns and bullets - just like they do to cigs. Surprised it hasn't happened already!! Good luck to everyone out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread