The Mem Magnet does it again plus Relics, Long on words = short on finds

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So we (Dirt Fishing Wolf, Lowbatts, Watercolor, and myself) hunted a couple areas with old homesites.
Very little remains of any structures other than some concrete foundations in some spots, and miscellaneous large and very large pieces of iron including a rear end off a vehicle, a transmission probably for the same vehicle, a couple engine blocks in another area (What - they never heard of Victory Auto Wreckers?). As usual Tim had provided a couple of aerial view maps of the areas we intended to check out and I think we managed to avoid them once we started swinging the coils.

In one spot I got my first honey hole of the season.
Don't get too excited... It was all pennies - 17 in total and I think three were wheaties.
I say I *think* three were wheaties because I didn't clean them off after the first few, and my total wheat count for the day was 6 so who knows how many came from where. And there may be another two that Lowbatts lost - possibly in the jump seat area of my truck.

It was strange that my detector didn't tell me the quantity - I think the next generation of processors should do that. Once they get the radiation thing solved. But seriously, if they can send all the info they send wirelessly - text, voice, photos, movies, internet etc - on phones - why can't our detectors tell us how many targets under the coil, what those targets are composed of, and how deep they are? Maybe it will be an I-phone app for $2.99 and we can just duct tape an I-phone on a stick and wave it over the ground.

Other finds for me included the ornate victorian style dresser or furniture pull - I think the two screw eyes at each end are not original to the piece. The hub cap shaped thing could be from a wagon or maybe one of those old steel pedal cars that kids rode around in? The name on it is Hamilton. Piece of a spoon, a horse or ox ring thing, house address numbers 0 and part of 7, the seal from a gas meter, not sure what the double D-shaped thing is, and then while hunting the really really really far away site I also found a Geo-Cache with a pencil and paper and a little trinket inside - I think it was a small fridge magnet - the camo container was tied between a couple of horizontally positioned trees. And I found it without a GPS!

Our biggest "find" still remains there until we figure out how to get all the original heavy gauge copper power line down from the poles and into the truck... probably a few thousand pounds of it.
I think it would be in the best interest of NATURE to remove such an offending eyesore - just like the people we saw that were removing iron fence posts and barbed wire for the nature conservancy.

All in all a great day for detecting with friends!

Attachments

• 4-11-10.jpg
    4-11-10.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 185
  • Victorian.jpg
    Victorian.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 175

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Mem-homing gnome strikes again!

Are the dogs still screaming, Clarice?

Foot powder and dammitol to the rescue, we will return!

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great digs Mayo, that cashe of cents was waiting for you and your mem. magnet to come along. Glad you got them. Had alot of fun out on the old sites with you guys, the sites looked very promising. Is Tim salting your pickup with lost cents?
HH
DFW

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was fun to get out there yesterday. . . there's got to be some good
coinage still waiting for us when we make a return trip.

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Gotta be some Seated hiding under the iron around there, keep digging it up! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread