The Mesuno hoard- Magdalena River

Panfilo

Feb 20, 2007
Strictly from an academic perspective, I would like to share this interesting historical episode that happened in 1936, a find on the Magdalena River near the city of Honda here in Colombia. As one reads the newspapers and published contemporary reports of what is known as the “Mesuno hoard” some doubts and questions do arise. Very little has been studied with a scientific view of trying to understand what really happened and where those macuquinas came from.

Sedwick Coins summarizes it this way: "The name of this hoard comes from “El Mesuno,” the local name for a bend in the river where, in 1935, many hundreds of Bogotá cob 2 escudos were found in the riverbank. The latest of the coins, most of which did not show their peripheral dates, was 1636. No one knows how or why the hoard was lost; but it is known that Honda was where freshly struck coins from the Bogotá mint were offloaded from mules and put aboard riverboats to take the coins to Cartagena, on the Caribbean coast, where the coins were loaded onto galleons ultimately headed for Spain. Whether due to the sinking of a vessel or not, the “Mesuno Hoard” has been one of the world’s most important sources of gold cobs—basically the only source for Bogotá gold cobs of the early 1630s."
There are some minor errors here, the most recent coin is from 1642, the hoard was found in 1936 and there is no bend in the river where the coins were found though there is a sort of “rapids” there. Actually the Mesuno is an island in the river. The published accounts tell the storybook tale of three brothers who were fishermen and one “saw the glitter of the gold coins while fishing”, found an iron coffer and the coins, a gold chain and a few other golden artifacts. The three brothers later spent all the 2,000 coins in “ladies of the night” and getting drunk. All the coins were two escudos from 1629 to 1642. This is a local newspaper file:

http://www.epm.net.co/~ihenao/Pdf/El Mesuno R.pdf

The first question that came to my mind, having traveled the Magdalena River many times, is that its waters are very turbulent, receiving the rain flow of the upper Andes, carrying much sediment and debris. I have pictures of my father in that river in the same time period of 1936 and it was equally turbulent. How deep can one see a coin in that river? Maybe ten inches I would suspect. So did the coins come from a capsized “champan” (as the river going vessels of the time were called) or did the river erode one of the banks and the iron coffer fell into the shore and eventually broke up. If the coins were in fact in a vessel one would think they would not end up in the shallow shore part of the river and with time they would be ever deeper, covered by the sediment. Would an iron box withstand 300 years in a river and not corrode itself completely? The “Casa de la Moneda” museum, where the majority of the coins are housed, has not been able to document a wreck on the Magdalena that coincides with those years, 1642, 1643 or so.
These are some of the questions and the facts of the Mesuno Island hoard.
Panfilo

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks Panfilo. That was really interesting. :icon_thumleft:

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to bump up this old thread since I recently visited Honda on the Rio Magdalena and the island of Mesuno located a couple of kilometers down stream from Honda proper. First, an observation- the water level of the Magdalena can and does vary a great deal, based upon rainfall. Some of you may be aware that Colombia is in the midst of a drought and the waters level of the Magdalena is very low now. I walked the basin of the river earlier today and most of it is dry. The deepest part of the river next to Isla Mesuno came up to my waist. Another point is that because the level of the river fluctuates so much, what was a deeper part of the river 6 months ago, could (and is currently) be shallow or dry at times. Thus, the story about the boy discovering the coins just by sight is possible.

In terms of your questions about the iron box, it depends. I know of a guy in Panama who found a colonial spanish helmet (the conquistador kind) fully intact (although rusted) because it was found buried deep in sediment at the bottom of a river.

I hope to get back to search around Mesuno soon.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread