the most dense carved bead I have ever held, What is this thing??

rebel0718

Jun 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone.

Most of my treasure hunting involves estate sales and scrap yards. I am not a bead collector at all, but I was at a scrap yard a couple of weeks ago and when I was at the checkout counter, I noticed what looked like necklace at first. Being a father of 2 girls, I asked to see it, hoping for an inexpensive gift. When the clerk handed it to me, I was immediately intrigued. Strung through a very old looking cord, was a triangle shaped carved bone, and an extremely dense hand carved bead. The bead measures only 7/8" in diameter, but it weighs nearly 1/2 of an ounce. To me, the carving looks Asian. Maybe Chinese? I tried to do some research on them and the closest thing I could come up with was a netsuke bead. That would explain the cord that had been strung through it. I'm guessing it is made of either ox, or rhino horn but really have no evidence to support that idea. If anyone could shed some light on what these might be, or point me in the right direction to continue my research on them, I'd be grateful. Thanks for your help!!

100_9244.JPG 100_9247.JPG 100_9249.JPG 100_9250.JPG 100_9251.JPG CAM00613.jpg CAM00614.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rebel0718

Jun 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never really thought about jade as a possibility. I guess when I think of jade, I only think about a green color. I'll test it and see if I can rule it out. Thanks for the idea!

Upvote 0

bammer

Apr 5, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also possibly a gemstone material, looks like it could be corundum(sapphire), aluminium oxide. A sapphire feels heavier than it looks.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread