The mysterious death of Adolph Ruth

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The quote was from the Emilio letter to Erwin Ruth , and goes like this :

My uncle said his father never wanted American to have the old mine but now he thinkgs (sic) your family deserve it if you can afford to work it praticly (sic).

My uncle beleive (sic) that much gold still therer and can be found if you could dig for enough to reach this old mine where they worked it years ago.

I believe it is Emilio who is referring to that mine as an "old mine," and not his uncle. Emilio would be right to call it an old mine in 1932.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe it is Emilio who is referring to that mine as an "old mine," and not his uncle. Emilio would be right to call it an old mine in 1932.

I only gave you the source like you asked . To me seems how Emilio transfer what his uncle said him , but all this letter could be just Emilio's imagination .
IMO , if one mine would be opened and worked by my family over few generation , I would call it just a " mine " , but if my family would find and work a mine , I would call it an " old mine " .

Last edited:

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well......in support of Emilio AND his uncle referring to "the" mine as the old mine......Here's a copy of R. P. Kelley's 1860 map. This map was published in 1860 and taken from Kelley's notes compiled from earlier ventures. There certainly were "old mines" in the area. Nope, don't think this one is the LDM. After all, it wouldn't be lost if it was included on the map. But there were old mines existing before 1860. In my opinion, long before 1860. But that's just my thoughts.

1860 map.jpg enlarged area 1860.jpg

Attachments

• 1860 Territory of Arizona.jpg
    1860 Territory of Arizona.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 204

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Well......in support of Emilio AND his uncle referring to "the" mine as the old mine......Here's a copy of R. P. Kelley's 1860 map. This map was published in 1860 and taken from Kelley's notes compiled from earlier ventures. There certainly were "old mines" in the area. Nope, don't think this one is the LDM. After all, it wouldn't be lost if it was included on the map. But there were old mines existing before 1860. In my opinion, long before 1860. But that's just my thoughts.

View attachment 1467389 View attachment 1467397

nice map...looks like those old mines would be in the south mountains just south of phoenix

starman 1

Jun 3, 2010
Hello Mr. Roberts

"Starman, I think you know Ruth was involved in something much bigger than the Lost Dutchman gold mine".

Matthew

Yes he was. I guess the question is what was it?

Perhaps what Mr. Ruth meant when he said he came, he saw has multiple meanings. One meaning is he came, he saw.....the way.

The way was lighted by a map. A map like no other.

Sadly enough he paid for this with his life. Not the first and not the last.

Have a good holiday.

Starman

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matthew, thank you for a well written, thought provoking piece. It definitely opens new areas to ponder in the mystery of the death of Adolph Ruth.

I don’t have any answers or even much in the way of insight to add to the events surrounding his death.

As I am often want to do <g> I do have points of trivia to add to the mix. Not much to help you find a lost mine. But; perhaps I can help fill in some holes in seeing more of the totality of the man, Adolph Ruth.

Best sources available, Ancestry.com, family histories, the writings of James R. Kearney and such, it appears Adolph Ruth was born in Germany in about 1854, immigrated and was raised in New York. Some sources indicate he married first, Dalia, and his first child was a son, Charles. What became of these two individuals I do not know.

In 1881 he married second, Clara Belling (sometimes referenced as Beiling) in upstate New York. Their daughter, Stella was born in 1882, a son Erwin was born in 1887, and a son Earl was born in 1896.
The family moved to Missouri in 1888 and spent a brief time farming there. Shortly they moved to Kansas City where Adolph worked as a barber and sold barber supplies.

I have been unable to independently verified this but according to the writer and historian, James R. Kearney, Ruth wanting to better his fortunes and attended Kansas City Veterinary College graduating as a DVM in 1903. Mr. Kearney’s work is well sourced so I have no reason to doubt his statement. I find it entirely reasonable in that Ruth was in the right place at the right time for this to happen. Ruth, in later documents was often referenced as Dr. Ruth.

It was during this time that (apparently) Ruth began to fudge his date and place of birth. It is thought this was to better his chances of being admitted to college as a younger man and of native birth.

After graduation Ruth took employment with the USDA in the newly established Animal Inspection dept. conducting and overseeing the intake, inspection, slaughter, and packing preparation of meat products in Kansas City.

Ruth was transferred (at his request) to Richmond, VA in 1917. The family rented a home at 3 S. Auburn Avenue in the Museum District, an upper middle class neighborhood of the time. It is located about 1 ¼ mile from what was then the Richmond Stockyards. I’m certain this was Ruth’s primary base of operation and reason for being stationed in the Richmond area.

It was from Richmond, VA that Adolph and Erwin Ruth made their 1919 trip to the Borrego area of California to look for the mine from the Gonzales’ maps. This is our first real glimpse into the impetuous and impulsive nature of Ruth the man in his later years. Ruth did not receive nor ask for time off from work. He did cajole his physician into writing a recommendation that he “rest” which he forwarded to his employer as they drove out of town. He didn’t wait for approval of that rest period, he just left, AWOL, in search of the Gonzales mine. It was in the canyons of this California desert area that he wondered off alone in late evening and fell into a crevice severely breaking his right thigh. A San Diego hospital performed the surgery to install a metal plate repairing his broken leg. He returned to work nearly 8 month later. It must have been just as hard to fire Federal workers then as it is now. <g>.

Ruth’s heart apparently was not into his work and it spiraled downhill from this time forward. The quality of his work suffered and complaints from his co-worker and supervisors abounded. He was transferred to Charles Town, WVA and in 1921 to Wheeling, WVA. In June of 1922 his pay was cut because he couldn’t satisfactorily perform his duties. He retired in July of 1924. Keep in mind he was a full 70 years of age at the time having “fudged” his date of birth on his employment records.

Post retirement he and Clara moved to Washington D.C. to be closer to their daughter Stella. The 1930 census shows him as head of household with Clara and Stella in residence on 37th Street.
It was from here that Ruth determined to make the fateful trip to Arizona. And the rest, is history.

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old,

This is very valuable information to the mystery of Adolph Ruth thread and thank you for researching this and posting it for everyone to add to their information. Some of this I was aware of but you have provided me with something I have been unable to track down and I feel is something key in the mystery. The exact timeline of when Adolph Ruth retired and moved to Washington D.C. You found he retired in July 1924 (age 70) and sometime after that retirement moved to D.C. to be near his daughter Stella. By 1930 he was residing in D.C. with his wife and daughter living with him.

Sometimes what you might not think has much insight answers questions and fills in blanks for others interested in the subject.

This fits perfectly with Collins Morse statements of first contact with Ruth and Ruth's first trip to Arizona to visit with him (1927-1928 time frame). By 1927 Ruth was most likely in D.C. and with his daughter Stella living with him he could leave his wife for periods of time and know someone was around to look after her and take care of her. I had always wondered when Ruth retired and would he have been free to travel to Arizona as early as 1927-1928. Also your finding his daughter Stella living with them at least by 1930 answered another question I had about why Adolph Ruth might leave his wife for long periods as she was almost 80 herself.

Matthew

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
IMO , if one mine would be opened and worked by my family over few generation , I would call it just a " mine " , but if my family would find and work a mine , I would call it an " old mine " .

That is true, but keep in mind the mine hadn't been worked for 80 to 90 years, so in that regard, it would be an "old mine" wouldn't it?

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Matthew, thank you for a well written, thought provoking piece. It definitely opens new areas to ponder in the mystery of the death of Adolph Ruth.

I don’t have any answers or even much in the way of insight to add to the events surrounding his death.

As I am often want to do <g> I do have points of trivia to add to the mix. Not much to help you find a lost mine. But; perhaps I can help fill in some holes in seeing more of the totality of the man, Adolph Ruth.

Best sources available, Ancestry.com, family histories, the writings of James R. Kearney and such, it appears Adolph Ruth was born in Germany in about 1854, immigrated and was raised in New York. Some sources indicate he married first, Dalia, and his first child was a son, Charles. What became of these two individuals I do not know.

In 1881 he married second, Clara Belling (sometimes referenced as Beiling) in upstate New York. Their daughter, Stella was born in 1882, a son Erwin was born in 1887, and a son Earl was born in 1896.
The family moved to Missouri in 1888 and spent a brief time farming there. Shortly they moved to Kansas City where Adolph worked as a barber and sold barber supplies.

I have been unable to independently verified this but according to the writer and historian, James R. Kearney, Ruth wanting to better his fortunes and attended Kansas City Veterinary College graduating as a DVM in 1903. Mr. Kearney’s work is well sourced so I have no reason to doubt his statement. I find it entirely reasonable in that Ruth was in the right place at the right time for this to happen. Ruth, in later documents was often referenced as Dr. Ruth.

It was during this time that (apparently) Ruth began to fudge his date and place of birth. It is thought this was to better his chances of being admitted to college as a younger man and of native birth.

After graduation Ruth took employment with the USDA in the newly established Animal Inspection dept. conducting and overseeing the intake, inspection, slaughter, and packing preparation of meat products in Kansas City.

Ruth was transferred (at his request) to Richmond, VA in 1917. The family rented a home at 3 S. Auburn Avenue in the Museum District, an upper middle class neighborhood of the time. It is located about 1 ¼ mile from what was then the Richmond Stockyards. I’m certain this was Ruth’s primary base of operation and reason for being stationed in the Richmond area.

It was from Richmond, VA that Adolph and Erwin Ruth made their 1919 trip to the Borrego area of California to look for the mine from the Gonzales’ maps. This is our first real glimpse into the impetuous and impulsive nature of Ruth the man in his later years. Ruth did not receive nor ask for time off from work. He did cajole his physician into writing a recommendation that he “rest” which he forwarded to his employer as they drove out of town. He didn’t wait for approval of that rest period, he just left, AWOL, in search of the Gonzales mine. It was in the canyons of this California desert area that he wondered off alone in late evening and fell into a crevice severely breaking his right thigh. A San Diego hospital performed the surgery to install a metal plate repairing his broken leg. He returned to work nearly 8 month later. It must have been just as hard to fire Federal workers then as it is now. <g>.

Ruth’s heart apparently was not into his work and it spiraled downhill from this time forward. The quality of his work suffered and complaints from his co-worker and supervisors abounded. He was transferred to Charles Town, WVA and in 1921 to Wheeling, WVA. In June of 1922 his pay was cut because he couldn’t satisfactorily perform his duties. He retired in July of 1924. Keep in mind he was a full 70 years of age at the time having “fudged” his date of birth on his employment records.

Post retirement he and Clara moved to Washington D.C. to be closer to their daughter Stella. The 1930 census shows him as head of household with Clara and Stella in residence on 37th Street.
It was from here that Ruth determined to make the fateful trip to Arizona. And the rest, is history.

Old, good to see you posting again. Your input as usual, is invaluable. I hope you'll post more and often.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
There is one angle that hasn't been explored here and it's Glen Magill's theory that while Purnell and Keenan packed Ruth to Willow Springs, they didn't take him out in the mountains. Two prospectors did: George Lusk and his unnamed partner.

According to Curt Gentry (via Magill) it was those two who initially "acquired" the original maps from Ruth, and these reportedly ended up with Lusk's widow.

I have often wondered about the timeline as far as just exactly when Purnell and Keenan packed Ruth, and when they were seen joyriding in his auto.

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is true, but keep in mind the mine hadn't been worked for 80 to 90 years, so in that regard, it would be an "old mine" wouldn't it?

Yes , it would be.

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upon further investigation and a little help from my friends I wanted to update my post regarding the life and times of Adolph Ruth.

The individual that married Delia and had a son Charles is not the same as “our” Adolph Ruth. I was hedgy about that but included it because different family trees from family members carry this information. However; this Adolph that married Delia, is not our guy.

Just wanted to update the information so as not to further perpetuate an incorrect reference.

Lynda

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
adding info to olds' info

i think this AR is our AR
Adolph Ruth
Occupation barber
Event Date 1876
New York Naturalization Index (Soundex)
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVTW-NPFK

Adolph Ruth Clara Belling
Occupation Tonsorial Artist
United States Census, 1880
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MZDY-HD3

TONSORIAL ARTIST.
barber
Tonsorial | Define Tonsorial at Dictionary.com
=========================

the mistaken AR
Adolph Ruth Delia Ruth
Adolph Ruth born usa
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MZD5-8B1
----------------------

just thought these AR are prob same AR
and prob our AR earlier date
seems someone made a mistake with listing ship

Adolph Ruth
Ship Name Bremen
Departure Port Bremen & Southampton
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KD7K-XSN

Adolph Ruth
age 16
Birthplace Germany
United States Census, 1870
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M8J5-VYT

i could not find another ship Bremen for yr 1871
about ship bremen
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Bremen_(1896)

i have not looked through these
German Departures 1870s
German Departures - 1870
New York Passenger List Arrivals
Transcribed in Volumes 1 - 6
ISTG - New York Arrivals

Last edited:

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
George Lusk, anyone?

There doesn't seem to be much information on him or his nameless partner- certainly nothing posted in any of the forums.

I am starting to walk back my hypothesis on Purnell being the culprit. There are a few things that stand out to me. While experienced in a variety of trades, neither Purnell or Keenan were real prospectors, nor had either spent extensive time in the mountains. Consquently they wouldn't have been helpful in guiding Ruth or in understanding his maps.

Also, as dumb as they may have been, I don't think they would be so dumb as to take Ruth's car for a joyride after dispensing of him. Frontier justice was still the rule of the day back then, and that sort of incrimination would be more than good enough to warrant a "hanging" offense. This is not to say they weren't involved- I hypothesize that they purposely guided Ruth to Willow Springs where he was to "meet" with prospectors who would take him out into the mountains, knowing full well that Ruth probably wasn't coming back out.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
George Lusk, anyone?

There doesn't seem to be much information on him or his nameless partner- certainly nothing posted in any of the forums.

I am starting to walk back my hypothesis on Purnell being the culprit. There are a few things that stand out to me. While experienced in a variety of trades, neither Purnell or Keenan were real prospectors, nor had either spent extensive time in the mountains. Consquently they wouldn't have been helpful in guiding Ruth or in understanding his maps.

Also, as dumb as they may have been, I don't think they would be so dumb as to take Ruth's car for a joyride after dispensing of him. Frontier justice was still the rule of the day back then, and that sort of incrimination would be more than good enough to warrant a "hanging" offense. This is not to say they weren't involved- I hypothesize that they purposely guided Ruth to Willow Springs where he was to "meet" with prospectors who would take him out into the mountains, knowing full well that Ruth probably wasn't coming back out.

deducer,

Here's and interesting find over on Ancestry.com:

Lusk, Ludie Arizona Republic Sect E Page 9 17 July 1999
Lusk, Ludie Arizona Republic Sect B Page 6 18 July 1999
Lusk, Ludie Mesa Tribune Sect A Page 15 17 July 1999

Probably just another coincidence.:dontknow:

Good luck,

Joe

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
what was George Lusk age @ the time
several are listed for az. came from mich,
ok., ks. and i think mo.

Thirsty44

Greenie
Apr 9, 2009
There is one angle that hasn't been explored here and it's Glen Magill's theory that while Purnell and Keenan packed Ruth to Willow Springs, they didn't take him out in the mountains. Two prospectors did: George Lusk and his unnamed partner.

According to Curt Gentry (via Magill) it was those two who initially "acquired" the original maps from Ruth, and these reportedly ended up with Lusk's widow.

I have often wondered about the timeline as far as just exactly when Purnell and Keenan packed Ruth, and when they were seen joyriding in his auto.

In my copy of Gentry's The Killer Mountains, there's a discussion of Adolph Ruth's 1931 trip into the Superstition Mountains on page 98 (Chapter 5). Gentry states that two prospectors, George Lusk and John Harris, packed Ruth from the Barkley ranch into the mountains. However, there's an asterisk by the names, and a footnote reads "For reasons which will become obvious, aliases have been used here".

I've always taken that to mean that the names Lusk and Harris were just made up by Gentry as pseudonyms for Leroy Purnell and Jack Keenan.

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good evening Thirsty44: You bring up a good point. Since Curt Gentry was a well know author, and relatives of Purnell and Keenan might still be alive, had he used there real names, he would have left himself and the publishers open to a hefty liable law suit. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread