The mysterious death of Adolph Ruth

starman 1

Jun 3, 2010
Hello Mr. Roberts,

Great thread, goes without saying.

So how many folks did this little den of thieves murder? Seems from your thread at least two. Going forward suspect at least several more.

One group going after the ldm, the other going after something more important. And the irony is what they both needed would forever be denied them, the one thing that lead to both places.

Of course that is the trail that connects Ruth and Walter. Ruth knew about both. Walter knew more. if fact what better way than to protect the other than to file a claim on the ldm. And just think Walter was part of a third group.

Have a good day.

Starman

Last edited:

oldpueblo

Jun 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Starman, are you referring to a map being the connection between Ruth & Gassler?
Did Gassler have Ruths' map or did he have another one exactly like it?

Why didn"t Gassler ever file a claim on the LDM?
I beleive I know, but which LDM are you referring to?

Thanks in advance,
Old Pueblo

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Mr. Roberts,

So how many folks did this little den of thieves murder? Seems from your thread at least two. Going forward suspect at least several more.

One group going after the ldm, the other going after something more important. And the irony is what they both needed would forever be denied them, the one thing that lead to both places.

Of course that is the trail that connects Ruth and Walter. Ruth knew about both. Walter knew more. if fact what better way than to protect the other than to file a claim on the ldm. And just think Walter was part of a third group.

Have a good day.
Starman

Starman_1,

Beyond any doubt, there was something involved that went much farther than simply an old man wandering around in the Superstition Mountains looking for a gold mine.

If you dig deep enough into the facts of the matter, putting aside all the rumors and false information that became the story, you get a clear picture of who actually was involved with Adolph Ruth and why he came to be in Arizona in the first place.

Adolph Ruth at the age of 76, in poor physical condition and living on a modest pension didn't just wake up one morning and decide he was going to buy a new car and drive to Arizona to look for the Lost Dutchman gold mine.

He came to Arizona because he was told it was urgent for him to be there, that a major discovery had recently been made there and Adolph Ruth was already a big part of that discovery.

Ruth was living in Washington D.C. with his 77 year old wife and his daughter. Ruth had retired and was living on a $42 a month government pension. He had no savings or net worth yet he purchased a brand new Essex automobile. In fact, Ruth didn't have to worry about the cost of the automobile because someone else paid for it.

When he arrived in Arizona he went straight to the man who had invited him and had paid for the automobile. At the home of the man who invited Ruth to Arizona he met the man who had made the recent important discovery, Charles Knickerbocker. The date was May 13, 1931. By July 12, 1931, less than two months later, both Adolph Ruth and Charles Knickerbocker would be dead, both having been found dead from unexplained circumstances.

Matthew

Last edited:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
matthew...are you thinking these people sent for ruth and bought him a car because ruth was in possession of a certain map that they needed?

i am the horse

Apr 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Mr. Roberts,

Have a good day.

Starman

Sorry but i must be a little slow. Who filed a claim on what they thought was the ldm? Im a little behind the curve here. Enlighten me if you will. Or not. My head hurts trying to take in all this stuff. Im all googled out.

starman 1

Jun 3, 2010
Murderer`s Club/Arizona style

Hello Mr. Roberts,

Yes this has all the ingredients of quite the cloister ****.

And indeed it was.

Now throw in the existence of monuments high up on the east side of W. Boulder Canyon that contained two stone maps that takes you all the way to the end of the trail and one can see why Ruth started where he did and died where he did. I believe he saw those maps and sketched out a copy and left them there, for the simply reason he could not carry them.

What I have never quite figured out is how he knew they were there. And yet later in time folks would get into those monuments to only find the originals had been replaced.

Really quite funny

This takes us from Boulder Canyon to Peter`s Mesa, but what about the discovery that brought Ruth to Arizona? Was it something hidden in a mine high up on the east side of W. Boulder Canyon or was it the location of a LDM on Peter`s Mesa. All I can say is what was in that mine in Boulder took at least 4 months to remove and keep in mind the urgency of completing this bit of larceny before Jan 1933. Executive order 6102. The number 634 is very important in all of this. One might say it weighed heavy on people`s minds.

Hello Old Pueblo,

Walter knew of the two maps that Ruth copied from W. Boulder Canyon. More importantly he understood them. Ruth was close but couldn`t figure out the star side of all of this. This is what I mean by Walter being further along the trail than Ruth.

This particular ldm that i believe Mr. Roberts is referring to is located on a fault line near Pistol Canyon. One might say it is right across the street.

And what is particularly of importance as Mr. Roberts has pointed out the LDM is only a small, very small part of all of this.

:laughing7:

Have a good day.

starman

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
matthew...are you thinking these people sent for ruth and bought him a car because ruth was in possession of a certain map that they needed?

azdave35,

It was established during the investigation of the disappearance of Adolph Ruth that Ruth had come to Arizona at the invitation of Collins Morse. Ruth had stayed with Morse in the late 1920's and the two were not strangers to each other. Ruth had left information with Morse that could lead to mines, treasure, caches somewhere in the Superstition Mountains. In February of 1931 a man working (grub staked) by Collins Morse made a discovery in the Superstition Mountains that was considered significant by Morse. The man's name was Charles Knickerbocker. By March 1931 Knickerbockers discovery leaked out to the public and press. By April Morse had contacted Adolph Ruth and requested he come to Arizona as soon as he could make arrangements. Morse said he would aid Ruth with those arrangements. By May 13, 1931 Ruth was in Arizona with Morse. It was never established by investigators exactly what significance Knickerbockers discovery was but Morse indicated the discovery was based on information Ruth had left behind in 1927-1928 and Morse believed Ruth held further vital information.

Matthew

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Hello Mr. Roberts,

And indeed it was.

Now throw in the existence of monuments high up on the east side of W. Boulder Canyon that contained two stone maps that takes you all the way to the end of the trail and one can see why Ruth started where he did and died where he did. I believe he saw those maps and sketched out a copy and left them there, for the simply reason he could not carry them.

What I have never quite figured out is how he knew they were there. And yet later in time folks would get into those monuments to only find the originals had been replaced.

Really quite funny

This takes us from Boulder Canyon to Peter`s Mesa, but what about the discovery that brought Ruth to Arizona? Was it something hidden in a mine high up on the east side of W. Boulder Canyon or was it the location of a LDM on Peter`s Mesa. All I can say is what was in that mine in Boulder took at least 4 months to remove and keep in mind the urgency of completing this bit of larceny before Jan 1933. Executive order 6102. The number 634 is very important in all of this. One might say it weighed heavy on people`s minds.

Hello Old Pueblo,

Walter knew of the two maps that Ruth copied from W. Boulder Canyon. More importantly he understood them. Ruth was close but couldn`t figure out the star side of all of this. This is what I mean by Walter being further along the trail than Ruth.

This particular ldm that i believe Mr. Roberts is referring to is located on a fault line near Pistol Canyon. One might say it is right across the street.

And what is particularly of importance as Mr. Roberts has pointed out the LDM is only a small, very small part of all of this.

Have a good day.

starman

starman,

It is, after all, just a story.:laughing7: Nice to see you weaving those two monuments into the story. Glad to be of assistance. Ruth never reached those two monuments, nor did he even try.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry but i must be a little slow. Who filed a claim on what they thought was the ldm? Im a little behind the curve here. Enlighten me if you will. Or not. My head hurts trying to take in all this stuff. Im all googled out.

i am the horse,

The man who's intent was to file claim on the Lost Dutchman was Walter Gassler.

At midnight on December 31, 1983 the Superstitions became a Wilderness area and the mining laws were suspended. If you wanted to file a mining claim and have it grandfathered in you had to file before January 1, 1984. Walter was in a rush to file this claim by the December 31 deadline.

But Walter could not go into the mountains that fall and needed to put up the claim boundary monuments and markers. That is what he asked me to do for him. He gave me the location claim paper and I was to set up the boundary markers and put the claim paper in a glass jar at the center of the claim. Walter was to go to the courthouse and file the claim before the December 31 deadline. That way if the BLM/Forest Service went out to look at his claim they would see that everything was in proper order.

Walter Gassler died in the Superstition Mountains on May 4, 1984 while going there to do work on his claim.

Matthew

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Mr. Roberts,

And indeed it was.

Really quite funny

Hello Old Pueblo,

Have a good day
starman

starman 1,

The one thing I've learned from all this is the people who look at this mystery today in 2017 have little or no understanding of the way people looked at it in 1931 when it was happening. There couldn't be more of a difference.

We today are totally skeptical and with our computerized access to every minute bit of history we tend to laugh at Ruth and Barkley and Adams and Morse and Knickerbocker, Holmes, Purnell, Kenan and all the rest for their "naive' belief in such a thing as the Lost Dutchman mine. It's hard for us to understand that these people actually believed whole-heartedly in a mine, treasure, cache somewhere in those mountains. The great depression of the 1930's only served to heighten those hopes and beliefs and actually gave some a chance that they might become wealthy when no other avenue for wealth was open to them. Those were desperate times and some very desperate men frequented the Superstitions in those days. We can barely understand those times and those peoples lives and motivations.

I don't know exactly what those people knew and believed about the LDM and treasure and caches in the Superstitions but I know they believed there was something there, it was valuable and they believed they had a chance at finding it. Whatever it was, the Lost Dutchman Mine was just a part of it and maybe if that mine were found it would open the door to other things even more valuable. Adolph Ruth and Charles Knickerbocker thought they knew where to look and they lost their lives within 60 days of each other in the process. These are not stories it was real life, it actually happened. I don't know what Ruth may have known, or Knickerbocker either, but whatever it was, there were others who believed it was important enough to kill them for it.

Matthew

starman 1

Jun 3, 2010
Hello Mr. Roberts,

Thank you for taking the time to re-create a bit of history that is rich on speculation and little on provable fact. Your point about trying to understand the folks that lived through this terrible time in American History is right on. In such a time treasure can do things to folks minds that in more reasonable circumstances would be hard to understand. I am reminded here of the movie, "Treasure of the Sierra Madre". Tough times make for tougher people. And I might add dead people. Perhaps the villagers at the end of the movie understood that true treasure is family, love, and at the end a life you can be proud of, regardless of what others may think.

Believe it is safe to say Knickerbocker and Ruth were both murdered and the cover up of the murder started at the top, these folks were playing for keeps about something of great value.

I would suggest that value meant different things to different people. Some were motivated by the 634 gold bars that were discovered stashed in a mine on the east side of West Boulder Canyon, others were motivated by 2 maps that ultimately led to a different kind of treasure with stops along the way. One being the LDM.

Did Ruth get into those monuments in W. Boulder Canyon. Yes he did. Was he alone no he wasn`t. The essence of one of those maps was used by Don Shade to find a mine. The same Don Shade, I believe who found Walter.

Who knows maybe that particular map is based on a tracing done by Ruth. Perhaps there are clues on that map that point to Ruth. Two as a matter of fact but one would have to take the time to search that trail.

Too bad Amos Hawkins is not still around. He could share stories that shed light on you efforts.

Hello Mr. Ribaudo,

Hope things are going well with you. I know at our age we have to take care of ourselves differently than when we were younger.

So why did Ruth start in Boulder Canyon and found his way to Peter`s Mesa? Why was it important that this happen. Perhaps because there was no other way, because what he found there led him to Peter`s Mesa and beyond.

Have a good day and in spite of your skepticism, which is always healthy, may the stars keep you safe.

Starman

'

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Hello Mr. Roberts,

Thank you for taking the time to re-create a bit of history that is rich on speculation and little on provable fact. Your point about trying to understand the folks that lived through this terrible time in American History is right on. In such a time treasure can do things to folks minds that in more reasonable circumstances would be hard to understand. I am reminded here of the movie, "Treasure of the Sierra Madre". Tough times make for tougher people. And I might add dead people. Perhaps the villagers at the end of the movie understood that true treasure is family, love, and at the end a life you can be proud of, regardless of what others may think.

Believe it is safe to say Knickerbocker and Ruth were both murdered and the cover up of the murder started at the top, these folks were playing for keeps about something of great value.

I would suggest that value meant different things to different people. Some were motivated by the 634 gold bars that were discovered stashed in a mine on the east side of West Boulder Canyon, others were motivated by 2 maps that ultimately led to a different kind of treasure with stops along the way. One being the LDM.

Did Ruth get into those monuments in W. Boulder Canyon. Yes he did. Was he alone no he wasn`t. The essence of one of those maps was used by Don Shade to find a mine. The same Don Shade, I believe who found Walter.

Who knows maybe that particular map is based on a tracing done by Ruth. Perhaps there are clues on that map that point to Ruth. Two as a matter of fact but one would have to take the time to search that trail.

Too bad Amos Hawkins is not still around. He could share stories that shed light on you efforts.

Hello Mr. Ribaudo,

Hope things are going well with you. I know at our age we have to take care of ourselves differently than when we were younger.

So why did Ruth start in Boulder Canyon and found his way to Peter`s Mesa? Why was it important that this happen. Perhaps because there was no other way, because what he found there led him to Peter`s Mesa and beyond.

Have a good day and in spite of your skepticism, which is always healthy, may the stars keep you safe.

Starman

'

Starman,

Having actually been to those two monuments, I know that Ruth did not see them. By the same reasoning, he could not have reached the other places you mentioned. Had someone given him a ride, they would have left tracks that Tex could not have missed. Do you know who destroyed those monuments? Both, by the way, looked like they were done by experts.......very tight joints.

I have not overlooked the fact that you folks watch these forums closely. You often take what some might consider minor comments and weave them into your narratives. While I seldom read fiction anymore, I will make an exception if and when your book is published. I am happy to place an advance order for a signed first edition. Your advanced education and intelligence, mixed in with some factual history, will make it a sure fire best seller. I suspect every present-day Dutch Hunter will see him/her self in the story.

Please don't forget me, (Signed book)

Joe Ribaudo

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One piece of the recorded history of the investigation into the disappearance of Adolph Ruth took an unexplainable turn on July 12, 1931.
Adolph Ruth had been "officially" missing for 27 days somewhere in the Superstition Mountains.

His son Erwin had come to Arizona to help in the search for his father. Erwin Ruth was staying at the home of Collins (Cal) Morse.
Morse was in part responsible for Adolph Ruth having come to Arizona and another man, a friend and employee of Morse, Charles Knickerbocker, was also involved with Ruth's business in the Superstitions.
On July 12, 1931 Erwin Ruth was to meet with Charles Knickerbocker at the Morse home. Knickerbocker was to help with the search for Erwin's father and had information that might help find the missing Ruth.
Adolph Ruth and Charles Knickerbocker had met, spoken with each other and Knickerbocker was a primary reason Adolph Ruth had come to Arizona.
Before that meeting scheduled for the 12th Erwin Ruth had yet to meet Charles Knickerbocker.

But that meeting never took place.
On the early morning of July 12, 1931, the day of the meeting, Charles Knickerbocker was found dead lying alongside a dark dead end road.
It appeared Knickerbocker had been struck by a car or truck sometime in the night and left to die by the side of the road. No driver stopped or reported the accident.
Investigators found Knickerbocker covered in blood with a blunt force head wound. His head and clothes were soaked with blood. But strangely there was no blood found anywhere on the road or ground where Knickerbocker lay.
No other evidence of any kind was found at the scene and investigators concluded he was simply struck by a car driven by an unknown person. Knickerbocker had no wife or family and the matter was closed.

Within 12 hours of the news of Knickerbockers death a man by the name of Ray Howland shows up unexpected and uninvited at the home of Collins Morse and asks to speak with Erwin Ruth.
Erwin Ruth and Howland had never met before.
Ray Howland proceeds to tell Erwin Ruth that he is well acquainted with the Superstition Mountains and may have important information concerning where to start looking for Erwin's father.

Morse and Erwin Ruth are both perplexed that a man has just shown up out of the blue offering the same thing that Charles Knickerbocker was supposed to meet with them about. A meeting that could not take place because Charles Knickerbocker was now dead.

Matthew

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the Mesa Tribune newspaper July 13, 1931

July 13, 1931 Monday Mesa Tribune Page 1 Columns 4 and 5

Dead Silence of Canyons Holds Secret Of Adolph Ruth; Howland Joins In Search

Derided by persistent white men, Apache gods of thirst, starvation and death stood unperturbed among the towering crags of Superstition mountain today while puny humans resumed the search for A. Ruth, 65-year-old government employee of Washington D. C. who entered the mountains last month and became a part of the silence of the canyons. Ray Howland lost mine hunter who is said to know every inch of the rough Superstition country, Saturday joined the search. Howland set out after conferring with the son and comparing maps. Howland's map purporting to show the location of the Lost Dutchman is identical to that carried by the lost prospector. Indians --- entreated to aid in the search for Ruth --- rebelled after a two week groping among...........

Matthew

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
From the Mesa Tribune newspaper July 13, 1931

July 13, 1931 Monday Mesa Tribune Page 1 Columns 4 and 5

Dead Silence of Canyons Holds Secret Of Adolph Ruth; Howland Joins In Search

Derided by persistent white men, Apache gods of thirst, starvation and death stood unperturbed among the towering crags of Superstition mountain today while puny humans resumed the search for A. Ruth, 65-year-old government employee of Washington D. C. who entered the mountains last month and became a part of the silence of the canyons. Ray Howland lost mine hunter who is said to know every inch of the rough Superstition country, Saturday joined the search. Howland set out after conferring with the son and comparing maps. Howland's map purporting to show the location of the Lost Dutchman is identical to that carried by the lost prospector. Indians --- entreated to aid in the search for Ruth --- rebelled after a two week groping among...........

Matthew

Matthew,

Hmmmmmm!

It does give one pause for thought.

Good luck,

Joe

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This from the Phoenix Gazette newspaper the evening of July 13, 1931 concerning the death of Charles Knickerbocker.
note * In the article the name of Adolph Ruth's son Erwin is mistakenly written as "Vincent".

July 13, 1931 Monday Evening, Phoenix Gazette Page 8, Column 1

MAN KILLED AS HE PLANS HUNT FOR LOST MINE

Indians Link Death With Warning To Keep Out of Superstitions

Whether Apache Gods of Thirst and Starvation have adopted modern methods in dealing with those violating the sacred fastness of Superstition Mountain was debated by Indians today in the wake of the death of Charles Knickerbocker, 60-year old prospector.

It was three months ago that Knickerbocker announced he believed he had found the phantom-like “Lost Dutchman” gold mine, hidden somewhere in the recesses of mysterious Superstition.
Time after time Knickerbocker entered the deep and twisting canyons and was believed to be preparing to follow up on clues found recently
which he felt would lead him to Arizona’ Golden Fleece – the “Lost Dutchman.”

Last night Knickerbocker was run down and fatally injured when he attempted to cross a highway at Claypool, a suburb of Miami.

GODS “GET THEIR MAN”

Regardless of the avenue of death, there was a feeling among Indians that Apache Gods managed to “get their man,” and that a curse placed against those violating an injunction to remain out of Superstition worked.

Knickerbocker’s death came on the eve of a renewed search for A. Ruth, 65-year-old government employee of Washington D. C., who entered the mountains June 15, and disappeared. The hunt will go ahead, according to Dr. Vincent Ruth, the amateur prospector’s son, but will be handicapped as Knickerbocker’s knowledge of Superstition was valuable.
In the meantime, the search of Ruth continued – minus the valuable aid and information which Knickerbocker only could have given the searchers

Matthew

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to add some details to the Charles Knickerbocker death - attached are a couple newspaper clippings and his death certificate.

As with seemingly everything else "Dutchman" related, I doubt we'll never really know the truth of what happened to Mr. Knickerbocker.

knickerbocker.JPG death certificate.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread