The mysterious death of Adolph Ruth

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon Matthew: Regarding the Gold Discovery in the area of Government Well around April of 1931, Have you ever researched the individual people who were directly and indirectly involved with its discovery and development? Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon Matthew: Regarding the Gold Discovery in the area of Government Well around April of 1931, Have you ever researched the individual people who were directly and indirectly involved with its discovery and development? Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Hello Gregory,

Yes, I looked into this some years back and it is itself another unexplained mystery involving some of the same people involved in the Adolph Ruth disappearance.

On April 5,1931 Ray Howland and three associates filed claim on a lode gold deposit approximately one half to one mile south of Government Well. A small ore sample was assayed which Howland claimed horned (high end) at $10,000 per ton and low end at several hundred dollars per ton. No one knows exactly how rich the sample was but it was probably not even anywhere near the low end value. This discovery raised some local interest because it was along the same north-south trending veins that ran through the Black Queen and southward down to the Mammoth, Wasp and Bulldog mines.

Howland's three partners were Ivan Davis, a laborer who was in Arizona for his health, Wes Gray who owned a concrete business in Phoenix and Mesa Dentist George Crandall.

Nothing much ever came of the claim, it never produced a paying quantity of ore even though it was worked on and off for a few years by a couple different owners.

The real story and mystery of this mining claim was the fact Dr. Crandall was the sole investor in the mining effort.
As if it wasn't strange enough that both Adolph Ruth and Charles Knickerbocker died mysteriously within 60 days of each other in 1931, Dr. George Crandall, a formerly healthy man of 44 suddenly and unexpectedly died in Mesa the evening of September 27, 1931.

Three people Ray Howland knew and had connections with concerning mines all died in less than 100 days.
All three were involved in searches for the Lost Dutchman Goldmine and all three died under unnatural circumstances.

Matthew

Last edited:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Hello Gregory,

Yes, I looked into this some years back and it is itself another unexplained mystery involving some of the same people involved in the Adolph Ruth disappearance.

On April 5,1931 Ray Howland and three associates filed claim on a lode gold deposit approximately one half to one mile south of Government Well. A small ore sample was assayed which Howland claimed horned (high end) at $10,000 per ton and low end at several hundred dollars per ton. No one knows exactly how rich the sample was but it was probably not even anywhere near the low end value. This discovery raised some local interest because it was along the same north-south trending veins that ran through the Black Queen and southward down to the Mammoth, Wasp and Bulldog mines.

Howland's three partners were Ivan Davis, a laborer who was in Arizona for his health, Wes Gray who owned a concrete business in Phoenix and Mesa Dentist George Crandall.

Nothing much ever came of the claim, it never produced a paying quantity of ore even though it was worked on and off for a few years by a couple different owners.

The real story and mystery of this mining claim was the fact Dr. Crandall was the sole investor in the mining effort.
As if it wasn't strange enough that both Adolph Ruth and Charles Knickerbocker died mysteriously within 60 days of each other in 1931, Dr. George Crandall, a healthy young man at age 44 suddenly and unexpectedly died in Mesa the evening of September 27, 1931.

Three people Ray Howland knew and had connections with concerning mines all died in less than 100 days.
All three were involved in searches for the Lost Dutchman Goldmine and all three died under strange and unnatural circumstances.

Matthew

thats the area where doc rosencrans and carrol ingle had claims

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats the area where doc rosencrans and carrol ingle had claims

azdave35,

I drew a map one time and placed all the Goldfield mines on it. If you connected the dots you would pretty much follow the gold bearing veins all the way from Government Well down to the Mammoth/Wasp.

I'm not 100% certain if Howland's claim was the Lazy Doc or not, it sticks in my mind it was farther south, I may be mistaken, it's been a long time since I was on that ground.

Goldfield Mines Matt Roberts.JPG

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
azdave35,

I drew a map one time and placed all the Goldfield mines on it. If you connected the dots you would pretty much follow the gold bearing veins all the way from Government Well down to the Mammoth/Wasp.

I'm not 100% certain if Howland's claim was the Lazy Doc or not, it sticks in my mind it was farther south, I may be mistaken, it's been a long time since I was on that ground.

View attachment 1476208

matthew...there is a fault line that roughly parallels highway 88 on the west side for about 3 or 4 miles...it is also block faulted which can cause trouble for a miner....most of the deposits found out there are close to the surface and very rich......in the old days everyone figured they were rich pockets that petered out in 50-75 foot...later on they discovered the area was block faulted....the ore wasn't pinching out...it was actually shifted...once that was discovered they were able to relocate the vein and keep working

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
azdave35,

View attachment 1476208

another interesting tidbit....ray howland had claims in the estrella mountains 13 years before ruth died.....from what i can tell its the same claim that milton rose worked..the one with the stone cabin...since rose would have been only about 15 at the time howland must have had the claim first...

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
deducer,

"March 2, 1931, Leroy F. Purnell stakes out the Mountain View claim". "May 17, 1936, Leroy F. Purnell and his pack burros are off to the Little Colorado to search for gold......."
From Tom Kollenborn's "The Chronological History......"

It would seem that Purnell, at least, thought he was a prospector.

Take care,

Joe

In that era, I'm sure most men turned to prospecting at one time or another. Very few were full-time prospectors, and Purnell/Keenan were described as having a variety of jobs, wrangling, working at the gas station, etc. Doesn't seem as if they spent that much time in the Superstitions to know it like the back of their hands.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
In that era, I'm sure most men turned to prospecting at one time or another. Very few were full-time prospectors, and Purnell/Keenan were described as having a variety of jobs, wrangling, working at the gas station, etc. Doesn't seem as if they spent that much time in the Superstitions to know it like the back of their hands.

deducer,

While I like your response, it ignores the facts, as we know them. It seems pure speculation that they didn't spend much time in the Superstitions. Whichever way they brought Ruth into Willow Spring, it would only be considered easy, by folks who know the trails available. Any greenhorn who attempted to travel to the spring could easily get lost. Some may need to reread Ruth's letter to his wife.

I doubt many casual prospectors filed actual claims.

Take care,

Joe

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
deducer,

While I like your response, it ignores the facts, as we know them. It seems pure speculation that they didn't spend much time in the Superstitions. Whichever way they brought Ruth into Willow Spring, it would only be considered easy, by folks who know the trails available. Any greenhorn who attempted to travel to the spring could easily get lost. Some may need to reread Ruth's letter to his wife.

Take care,

Joe
you'd be surprised how many inexperienced prospectors file claims..usually on worthless ground..most of the claims on paper these days are either big companies blanket claiming entire sections or casual prospectors that will never work the claim....there are very few active hardrock claims being worked....people dont realize what miserable hard work mining is until they actually start doing it

starman 1

Jun 3, 2010
Weekend at Bernie`s/ Superstition Mountains

Hello Old Pueblo,

Have you ever seen the movie, "Paint Your Wagon". Remember the scene when the prospectors throw the dead gentleman out of the grave when gold is discovered. If you haven`t catch it and you can get a real understanding of the Ruth business. 1. A cluster**** of magnificent proportions. 2. How groups with completely different goals and objectives can come together when gold is involved.

You have a basket full of questions and for the moment I will deal with a few.

What is important about Ruth is where his body did not end up.(W. Boulder Canyon). Also the interval in keeping folks away from a certain area of the range. Basically there never was anything on Peter`s Mesa that could be found with the information available. But there was a place where something was found.
:laughing7:

The gold left the range through various avenues and ended up under the Federal Reserve in New York. There are records of the transfer with a few names that are well interesting. Finding those documents is another matter. Who melted the gold down is of little importance.

The map in the public view shows the Salt River and two destination points one being Horse Mesa and the other being W. Boulder Canyon. The other map deals with the area primarily around Peter`s Mesa and shows trails from a south/north perspective while the other map shows the range from a north/south perspective. Some of the symbology can be traced to both the 2 Trail Maps already out there and several symbols found on another set of artifacts found in Arizona.

Yes the date of Ruth`s disappearance and his death are several months apart. Keep in mind my movie reference maybe Ruth was thrown out of said mine and then carted around the range ending up on Peter`s Mesa, and finally scattered to the wind by mountain lions.

It seems it did take a few trips to decide where to stash Ruth.

Hello Mr. Roberts

Perhaps what is mysterious about Mr. Ruth`s death is not so much his death since given the circumstances was inevitable. What is mysterious is the strand of history that connects the deaths of those around him. How long did these murders persist, and were there murders that on the surface have no direct connection to Ruth? Perhaps there is someone mentioned in this thread who`s diary would help. Sad with his passing a good man was lost.

I did receive several pm`s regarding a supposed treasure that seems to be stashed in W. Boulder Canyon. Can`t really say if this is the same treasure several folks are referring to. There were things that were later recovered in a side adit that were far more valuable than gold. Also the gold recovered was far older than folks think is possible. Symbols on the gold bars were ancient. There were massive Gold deposits in the Western Superstitions that were mined in ancient times. The proof is all around, and another searcher has pointed that out recently.

Have a good day,

Starman

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

Hello Old Pueblo,

Have you ever seen the movie, "Paint Your Wagon". Remember the scene when the prospectors throw the dead gentleman out of the grave when gold is discovered. If you haven`t catch it and you can get a real understanding of the Ruth business. 1. A cluster**** of magnificent proportions. 2. How groups with completely different goals and objectives can come together when gold is involved.

You have a basket full of questions and for the moment I will deal with a few.

What is important about Ruth is where his body did not end up.(W. Boulder Canyon). Also the interval in keeping folks away from a certain area of the range. Basically there never was anything on Peter`s Mesa that could be found with the information available. But there was a place where something was found.
:laughing7:

The gold left the range through various avenues and ended up under the Federal Reserve in New York. There are records of the transfer with a few names that are well interesting. Finding those documents is another matter. Who melted the gold down is of little importance.

The map in the public view shows the Salt River and two destination points one being Horse Mesa and the other being W. Boulder Canyon. The other map deals with the area primarily around Peter`s Mesa and shows trails from a south/north perspective while the other map shows the range from a north/south perspective. Some of the symbology can be traced to both the 2 Trail Maps already out there and several symbols found on another set of artifacts found in Arizona.

Yes the date of Ruth`s disappearance and his death are several months apart. Keep in mind my movie reference maybe Ruth was thrown out of said mine and then carted around the range ending up on Peter`s Mesa, and finally scattered to the wind by mountain lions.

It seems it did take a few trips to decide where to stash Ruth.

Hello Mr. Roberts

Perhaps what is mysterious about Mr. Ruth`s death is not so much his death since given the circumstances was inevitable. What is mysterious is the strand of history that connects the deaths of those around him. How long did these murders persist, and were there murders that on the surface have no direct connection to Ruth? Perhaps there is someone mentioned in this thread who`s diary would help. Sad with his passing a good man was lost.

I did receive several pm`s regarding a supposed treasure that seems to be stashed in W. Boulder Canyon. Can`t really say if this is the same treasure several folks are referring to. There were things that were later recovered in a side adit that were far more valuable than gold. Also the gold recovered was far older than folks think is possible. Symbols on the gold bars were ancient. There were massive Gold deposits in the Western Superstitions that were mined in ancient times. The proof is all around, and another searcher has pointed that out recently.

Have a good day,

Starman

God help me......I do love this story!

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
God help me......I do love this story!

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Sure is.
The never ending---ever changing story, that manages to include everyone and everything.
It's all ......(well) .....good.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All these hints alluding to "something" bigger than the LDM being at the center of the stories about Ruth's death.
Why not put that down on the table and take it from there ? See where it goes.
So far....at most....additional gold deposits and/or (Peralta ?) mines would have been what Ruth was searching for and hoping to find.
Maybe a large cache of gold ore as well ?
But all that was already part of the legends, when he disappeared.

Last edited:

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
deducer,

Take care,

Joe

It wasn't hard to get to Willow Springs from First Water over the old Quarter Circle U trail that went to Carney Springs. Difficult to traverse but not hard to follow, back then.

Also considering that Willow Springs was a source of water, year round, I'm sure Barkley made sure his hands knew where exactly it was.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
It wasn't hard to get to Willow Springs from First Water over the old Quarter Circle U trail that went to Carney Springs. Difficult to traverse but not hard to follow, back then.

Also considering that Willow Springs was a source of water, year round, I'm sure Barkley made sure his hands knew where exactly it was.

deducer,

Don't believe Carney Spring trail was ever easy. A greenhorn could easily turn off that trail. At the same time, don't believe those boys were ever Barkley "hands". If they were, it was probably very short term. Tom Kollenborn would likely be the best source for that information.

"Doesn't seem as if they spent that much time in the Superstitions to know it like the back of their hands."

Good luck,

Joe

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
All these hints alluding to "something" bigger than the LDM being at the center of the stories about Ruth's death.
Why not put that down on the table and take it from there ? See where it goes.
So far....at most....additional gold deposits and/or (Peralta ?) mines would have been what Ruth was searching for and hoping to find.
Maybe a large cache of gold ore as well ?
But all that was already part of the legends, when he disappeared.

Wayne,

I often feel like we are being led to these stories, like cattle, into a soon to be familiar pasture. My guess is some of it could be in preparation for a soon to be published book. That might be a reason for not putting it "on the table".

Nice job catching the "hints".

Take care,

Joe

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

deducer,

Your point about the distinction between a trail being difficult to traverse but not hard to follow is well taken and exactly the case in the Willow Spring camp issue.

There is no doubt whatsoever Ruth was taken in to Willow Spring on the west side of the mountains through First Water and not the south side through the Quarter Circle U ranch.

How do we know that ? First it was established by Keenan and Purnell in statements to the Maricopa County Sheriff's investigators. Secondly if you read what Adolph Ruth wrote about the trip into the Willow Spring camp you will know without question he is describing the terrain from First Water to Willow Spring. Anyone who has spent any time in the mountains and over that route knows that Ruth is describing Tim's saddle perfectly.

The route from First Water to Willow Spring is as you stated, a hard trail to traverse but an easy one to follow. In fact, the first half of the trip to the hairpin just beyond Parker Pass is one of the easiest in the Superstitions. In 1931 you could still drive a car to that point. From that hairpin you took a well worn trail to the right that leads up onto Tim's saddle and from Tim's saddle down the other side into Old West Boulder Canyon where you simply follow up the canyon to Willow Spring. You can't miss the spring because you ride right through it. It is the ride up over Tim's saddle and down into Boulder that is physically demanding. The entire distance is about 2 and 1/2 miles.

Matthew

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
deducer,

Don't believe Carney Spring trail was ever easy. A greenhorn could easily turn off that trail. At the same time, don't believe those boys were ever Barkley "hands". If they were, it was probably very short term. Tom Kollenborn would likely be the best source for that information.

"Doesn't seem as if they spent that much time in the Superstitions to know it like the back of their hands."

Good luck,

Joe

From "Legacy of Adolph Ruth" by Tom Kollenborn, 2001:

Adolph Ruth now planned to search for the Peralta Mines or the Lost Dutchman. He arrived in Arizona in mid May of
1931 and finally convinced a couple of cowboy-prospectors working at the Barkley Ranch (Quarter Circle U Ranch), against the best judgement of the ranch’s owner, to pack him into the mountains. Leroy Purnell and Jack Keenan packed Ruth into a place called Willow Springs in West Boulder Canyon around June 14, 1931. Shortly afterwards Ruth dis-
appeared.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
From "Legacy of Adolph Ruth" by Tom Kollenborn, 2001:

deducer,

That was not the first or last time that Tom would describe Purnell and Keenan as "cowboy-prospectors". Someone considered them prospectors. I know I have read or heard that the two had not worked for Tex. Not sure how accurate that is.

Good luck,

Joe

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
deducer,

Your point about the distinction between a trail being difficult to traverse but not hard to follow is well taken and exactly the case in the Willow Spring camp issue.

There is no doubt whatsoever Ruth was taken in to Willow Spring on the west side of the mountains through First Water and not the south side through the Quarter Circle U ranch.

How do we know that ? First it was established by Keenan and Purnell in statements to the Maricopa County Sheriff's investigators. Secondly if you read what Adolph Ruth wrote about the trip into the Willow Spring camp you will know without question he is describing the terrain from First Water to Willow Spring. Anyone who has spent any time in the mountains and over that route knows that Ruth is describing Tim's saddle perfectly.

The route from First Water to Willow Spring is as you stated, a hard trail to traverse but an easy one to follow. In fact, the first half of the trip to the hairpin just beyond Parker Pass is one of the easiest in the Superstitions. In 1931 you could still drive a car to that point. From that hairpin you took a well worn trail to the right that leads up onto Tim's saddle and from Tim's saddle down the other side into Old West Boulder Canyon where you simply follow up the canyon to Willow Spring. You can't miss the spring because you ride right through it. It is the ride up over Tim's saddle and down into Boulder that is physically demanding. The entire distance is about 2 and 1/2 miles.

Matthew

Ruth wrote: "It sure was rough, sometimes straight up and down. Several times my burro slid down stiff legged and from six to ten feet." Admittedly, It's been years since I made the trek over Tim's Saddle, but, as I recall, that more nearly describes the trip from Carney Spring and down into Willow Spring than it does Tim's Saddle. From Parker Pass, If you take the old trail on the north side of todays well traveled path, those stiff legged slices are common. That's a ways from Tim's Saddle.

It could be I need my memory nudged.

Good luck,

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread