Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone I know owns the property. Not too far from me. I have detected there before and have pulled out enough aluminum to make a truck tanker! With the old machine, it was aluminum city. With the Deus, it's a new day dawning. Went out a few times over the last month. It's a mowed lawn and very few monsters around.

Started pulled memorials out of the lawn, almost everything after 1972. A couple nickels, no dimes or quarters. A nice red new pulltab, very few other pulltabs.

This past week things changed. Found an area near the road that very old iron is now coming out of. I can't figure out what most of what it is but did get a 200 year old ox shoe today. Mover 50' and got a Merc and 20 more feet and a seated liberty quarter. So now things are fun. Moved to another area of the lawn and have found a bottle dump! Think it's WWII era, we got 1 whole bottle out of the ground then covered the hole back in. Found a silver ring, a gold plain ring, lots of 1980's toy cars, pieces of guttering, a horseshoe, extremely old barbed wire, it's almost dust now, a tombac button, square nails and (give me a break) 4 ounce lead fishing sinker.

Definitely going to explore some more. Got 200 year old relics next to 2 year old ones!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Place was built on an older site, fill brought in and spread out. The spot that you found wasn't covered so it's producing old. Trees are a great indicator of natural soils or fill being brought in, if you see the upper root system around the base of the tree its great indicator of no fill. If the tree looks like a pole stuck in the ground, well they've used fill in the area. Good luck on the next visit.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fill makes sense. Place is also sounded by tons of history. Was told once a place a quarter mile away had Revolutionary War soldiers stationed near it. Was a crossroads during the Yorktown Campaign.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I found an old musket ball once in a soccer field, the field was raised ten feet from the rest of the land. That was my first "old" find. In your case I think that your site was filled in in some areas, and not touched in others. Stick to the areas that you think haven't been developed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread