The New Guy from Texas

TXXpress

Greenie
Mar 11, 2024
West Galveston Bay, TX
I'm taking up metal detecting as a new hobby after I retired. The wife says I need to get out of the house more. I'm a retired sales rep that talked all day. I'm wearing her ears out she says... LOL My Father-In-Law (RIP) was a metal detector for many years. He peaked my interest in metal detecting. I've got alot to learn as I've already discovered. I'm located down here on the Texas Gulf Coast, so most of my time will be digging up trash along the beach. I've already mastered detecting tent stakes, beer can tabs, and beer bottle caps on recent trips. I hope to learn alot from y'all and have a few laughs along the way. Be Safe Out There!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...retired...located down here on the Texas Gulf Coast...
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at FORUM: TEXAS for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I'm taking up metal detecting as a new hobby after I retired. The wife says I need to get out of the house more. I'm a retired sales rep that talked all day. I'm wearing her ears out she says... LOL My Father-In-Law (RIP) was a metal detector for many years. He peaked my interest in metal detecting. I've got alot to learn as I've already discovered. I'm located down here on the Texas Gulf Coast, so most of my time will be digging up trash along the beach. I've already mastered detecting tent stakes, beer can tabs, and beer bottle caps on recent trips. I hope to learn alot from y'all and have a few laughs along the way. Be Safe Out There!
Howdy!

Where you hunt is the key to success. How you hunt, and what you hunt with, are certainly important. But the most important element is to fish in a well-stocked pond.

Old farm sites and ranches, country fair locations, circus and carnival lots, are all a good place to start. Research on rainy days and hunt in the sun.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Attachments

• Bill Mahan 1 of 3.JPG
    Bill Mahan 1 of 3.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Bill Mahan 2 of 3.JPG
    Bill Mahan 2 of 3.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Bill Mahan 3 of 3.JPG
    Bill Mahan 3 of 3.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 3

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to the forum. If you're hunting mainly on the beach, keep in mind that gold generally reads just like foil an pulltabs so keep digging those trash signals and you'll eventually be rewarded. It can though get discouraging at times if it seems like all you ever find is trash.

OP
OP
TXXpress

TXXpress

Greenie
Mar 11, 2024
West Galveston Bay, TX
Howdy!

Where you hunt is the key to success. How you hunt, and what you hunt with, are certainly important. But the most important element is to fish in a well-stocked pond.

Old farm sites and ranches, country fair locations, circus and carnival lots, are all a good place to start. Research on rainy days and hunt in the sun.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
Thanks for all the infotmation Old Bookaroo. I'll read those article when I get a break from my chores.

OP
OP
TXXpress

TXXpress

Greenie
Mar 11, 2024
West Galveston Bay, TX
welcome to the forum. If you're hunting mainly on the beach, keep in mind that gold generally reads just like foil an pulltabs so keep digging those trash signals and you'll eventually be rewarded. It can though get discouraging at times if it seems like all you ever find is trash.
Thanks for that info. I had read that "dig everything" in a few beach detecting books, and thus do it. Thank goodness digging on the beach isn't that difficult.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome !
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread