The New Orleans Mint Treasure

Tobin

Greenie
Feb 10, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My true personal story I spent years researching and writing was posted on treasurenet several years ago in the hope a real treasure hunter would realize the details in the story actually came from personal experience and archive information acquired in Ft. Worth, Texas where the New Orleans mint records are stored. The story gives details on how just as the New Orleans mint was changing from U.S. Government hands to Confederate control In January, 1861, thousands and thousands of British gold sovereign coins were exchanged for $20 1861-O gold U.S. coins, and then the gold coins were given to an officer of the mint. In April, 1861 that officer took the gold exchanged and buried it just West of Harbor Drive outside of Waveland, Mississippi to protect it for the South.

The story explains where he buried it, and the strange events that prove where it is today.

I had several inquires asking: "Why don't you go dig it up?" My answer was simple: "I am 83 and in poor health."

I am now 84 and can no longer walk. If someone will take the time to go to the archives for the New Orleans Mint in Ft. Worth, Texas and study The Gold Book, the reality of the true first person story wii sink in.

Ground-penetrating radar could be used in the Bayou Phillips subdivision to locate the treasure of rare 1861-o $20 gold pieces worth a billion dollars.

Study the story and you will have a real treasure!

[email protected]

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting story. When the war broke out the south needed rifles. They bought Enfield rifles from England and paid in gold. The last thing the CSA gov would have done would be to bury gold double eagle from the NOL mint. They needed every ounce of gold they had to buy rifles and other war material. My coin book shows 17,741 1861-O double eagles minted. A mint state coin goes for $275,000 so they are indeed rare.

OP
OP
T

Tobin

Greenie
Feb 10, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting story. When the war broke out the south needed rifles. They bought Enfield rifles from England and paid in gold. The last thing the CSA gov would have done would be to bury gold double eagle from the NOL mint. They needed every ounce of gold they had to buy rifles and other war material. My coin book shows 17,741 1861-O double eagles minted. A mint state coin goes for $275,000 so they are indeed rare.

ToddsPoint: The "Gold Book" in Ft. Worth, Texas showed the dates in January, 1861 when British gold sovereign coins were brought into the New Orleans mint and traded for $20 United States coins. In my story "The New Orleans Mint Treasure" published on Kindle, I show pictures from the "Gold Book" which is the only remaining record of what took place at the New Orleans mint during January, 1861 until the Civil War began.

The thousands and thousands of British Sovereign gold coins were brought into the mint and exchanged for the gold coins in the mint. The only gold coin minted in 1861-o was $20 gold coins.

All the literature details how a "representative" of the New Orleans mint was given the equivalent value in gold United States coins for the huge influx of British gold sovereigns.

Who was the representative? It was Johnson Kelly Duncan, Director of Public Works for the mint! His Father in law was a wealthy British banker.

Duncan was headed toward the Capital of the Confederacy with the gold on April 15, 1861. When he got to Mississippi a major storm flooded the roads and made them impassible. He couldn't return to New Orleans, and he couldn't keep going. So his best choice to keep the gold for use in the new war was to bury the gold and come back for it when it could be safely delivered to the Confederate government.

The gold coins were buried in what is now known as Bayou Philips Estates along Harbor Drive, and the Brigadier General, Johnson Kelly Duncan, in his Confederate uniform returned to New Orleans and went to war. He was captured and died in Tennessee before he could go back for the buried treasure.

We owned 16 acres just North of Bayou Philips Estates. The first hand story we had heard one night came from a 99 year old Choctaw Indian who lived North of our 16 acres. He had watched from the woods on a very rainy night in April, 1861 as a Confederate officer came up Harbor Drive, turned off the road, and buried something. Telling his story, he was blind, he simply pointed over his shoulder toward our property.

In 1994 I wrote "The New Orleans Mint Treasure." I didn't know the most important piece of the puzzle.

We had sold our 16 acres in 1980.
As my Father and I would drive by our 16 acres we noticed big Keep Out No Trespassing signs all over the place.
My Father said: "Maybe they are looking for something?

In 1994 I checked the property deeds back to 1980. The deed for our property had been bought by a family named Duncan. They were great relatives of Johnson Kelly Duncan, the man I thought buried the gold! They were searching for the gold!

You would think the historians for our government would like to study these details it took me years to uncover. Surely someone should want to find the gold?

If you want to know how many $20 United States gold 1861-o coins were minted by the United States: there is no data. Go search on AI and you get a dumb answer, provided by a firm that wants to sell copies!

But if you ask on AI: How many $20 gold coins were traded in January, 1861 for British gold sovereigns, you get what I spent years and years to discover, word for word, referencing my true story!

I am 84 now and recovering from 8 cancer operations, so I am just glad to still be here and able to get someone inspired enough to go dig up a billion dollars worth of gold coins!

I think it is on 8th Street to the West of Harbor Drive just South of the 16 acres we used to own outside of Waveland, Mississippi.

[email protected]

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That’s a great story. I hope someone takes up the challenge. The 1861-O double eagles are indeed rare. I think there are similar stories that happened in ‘61 at the Charlotte and Dahlonega mints. Records missing or figures never recorded. Very serious times in US history.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
As you can see the possible location is private property. The alleged location is covered in trees and bush and not very practical for ground penetrating radar without some major clearing. So the only chance for an effective search is with agreement of property holder and some land clearing. It would most likely be a hard sell to the land holder.

X6.JPG

X5.JPG

X7.JPG

X1.JPG

X2.JPG

X3.JPG

X4.JPG

Crow

OP
OP
T

Tobin

Greenie
Feb 10, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you can see the possible location is private property. The alleged location is covered in trees and bush and not very practical for ground penetrating radar without some major clearing. So the only chance for an effective search is with agreement of property holder and some land clearing. It would most likely be a hard sell to the land holder.

View attachment 2113667

View attachment 2113668

View attachment 2113669

View attachment 2113670

View attachment 2113671

View attachment 2113672

View attachment 2113673

Crow
Read the rest of the story! I think the gold is buried along the left or right side of one of the driveways to the West of Harbor drive along 8th or possibly 7th avenue. 8th and 7th avenues are public streets and I think you could search them without permission?

[email protected]

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Tobin Interesting story.

Here is some pictures of the land of west side of harbor drive between 7th and 8th streets.

between 7th abd 8th streets over view.JPG

Looking west below.

between 7th abd 8th streets.J side of the road PG.JPG

Looking north west below

between 7th abd 8th streets.J side of the road north west side PG.JPG

Looking west between 7th and 8th street.

between 7th abd 8th streets looking west.JPG

Looking north west between 7th and 8th street.

between 7th abd 8th streets.JPG

The problem is I see power lines and utilities easement below running up the side of harbor drive below. perhaps even sewer line.

Between 6th and 7th and 8th street..JPG

Its not just turn up and dig it up. And some thing that cannot be done discretely out of view either.

Crow

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait..... i think........ oh..... ehhhhh.....

Nawww.....

Thought i saw a lump in the road pavement.

:P.... :)

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That side of the road has been excavated several times. You have cable running through it. Usually as standard practice they would survey the line of excavation. If there was any thing there they would found it.

Your can see the shadow of the culvert below.

Between 6th and 7th and 8th street.. drainage culvert JPG.JPG

on each side of 7th and 8th streets there buried cable. Not counting possible water and possible sewer connection.

Between 6th and 7th and 8th street.. buried cable JPG.JPG

You can see the line running alongside of the road. from 8th to 7th street.

Between 6th and 7th and 8th street. ground .JPG

The land appears to be lot number 430. Not doubt there is utilities easement through it.

between 7th abd 8th streets over view lot 430 JPG.JPG

Sorry Pardon the pun you might be sh.. out of luck.

Crow

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread