Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm ordinarily not a complainer about things, but this new website is an enormous PITA.

I can navigate around and figure out most things, and not all things are bad. For instance... the auto save while you're typing a new post up is of great help... but it doesn't off-set the other annoying things on this site. Just to name a few:

I can't seem to stay logged in regardless of clicking on the "remember me" box

When I get to the homepage, or any other page for that matter, the page loads slowly and I can't do anything until it's finished. Mostly I'm waiting ont he banner to come up and the rest of the top part of the page. It's not my internet connection either!

Let's not forget the annoying LARGE block of ads at the top of the page that completely takes up a lot of valuable real estate on the website. Regardless of what page I'm on, I have to always scroll down the page just to see recent threads.

On the old layout, I had saved a few threads to my favorites... like some interesting threads from 2008 or even some of my own. If that's still here, I sure as Hell can't find it.

Like most of you, I frequent just a few areas of this site. Classifieds, Beach and Shallow water, Garage Sales, PMs... and with the old layout, with the quick links at the top of the page, facilitated jumping around faster. But maybe I'm just complaining too much. It is what it is.

I'm not saying that everything here is bad. I gave it some time to adjust, but to be honest here folks... I'm finding myself coming here less and less.

And now that we're waist deep in the new layout, I'm seeing why I loved the other layout so much. It was much easier to navigate.j

It is what it is I suppose. The new owners like this software better as it is probably more versatile and familiar to them than the old system. I can respect that... but we GOTTA do something about the layout. Keep the code if you want, but how about you try to mimic the old site so people are familiar with where things are?

Either this is going to be a LOOOONG learning curve for me, or I'll just wind up leaving this place and move my posts to other websites.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobby pins,
Favorites are going to be added back you will have your bookmarks, if you clear your cookies you should be able to stay logged in after you login.

Go to the board titles treasurenet f a q, check out the thread titled software bugs and help.

Last edited:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have been having problems with this new site. been trying to figure out how to add my new finds to my profile but so far not gettig anywhere.

OP
OP
Bobbypins

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I also have been having problems with this new site. been trying to figure out how to add my new finds to my profile but so far not gettig anywhere.

Here's what I don't get....

The new owners buy Tnet and immediately turn everything over to a new software. I can understand that and fully understand why they would do something as drastic as that. What I DON'T understand is why they would switch everything over without first making a demo site to ensure functionality. WTF do I know... maybe they did. But there's a lot of issues and bugs that takes an IT person to figure out.

I don't know about you, but I damn sure don't click on those annoying google ads that are at the top of EVERY friggin screen, and if people do click on them, I'm fairly certain that it was a fat-finger on a mouse.

And now there's ads in between posts on a thread.... and guess what.... I don't click on those either. It just takes up space, isn't relevant to the topic, and just makes the website look all greedy. Damn... I paid for this membership, and I've donated hundreds more because I liked the site the way it was. Instead now, I have to endure constant bombardment from irrevelant ads.

I can overcome some things... the logging in part is annoying, but I could endure that even if clearing my cache works(or enabling whatever in my internet options, check marking this or that... whatever). It boils down to having a new software that is SEVERELY annoying a lot of members. I'm not the only one who feels like this, but I'll make a prediction that if things don't get better soon, I see Tnet being second place soon.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobby, I agree with you completly. I can't stand this site. I have to scroll over 3" left and right on every post to every comment. I go away for two weeks and come back to this. In the past I probably hit this site several times a day (don't tell my boss) I have been back one week and this is the 3rd time I have even visited. It is just too much work to read and track down posts that I have been following.

Changing the subject. What is the weather like in Okinawa now? I just spent 2 weeks in central Japan. (Yamanashi & Shizuoka prefectures) My first morning the sign said -4* c and it was raining. I am from So CA and it was cold but I was prepaired.

Back to your topic. I have to scroll lt & rt just to read my post for typos. This was my favorite t-hunter web site. I think I have to look for another.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I don't like this new site at all. Give me the old site because it was much easier to navigate. This new site stinks.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Click "settings" at the top of the page
Scroll down a little and click "edit profile" on the left
Scroll down, fill in the form
Scroll down and click "save changes"

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm ordinarily not a complainer about things, but this new website is an enormous PITA.

I can navigate around and figure out most things, and not all things are bad. For instance... the auto save while you're typing a new post up is of great help... but it doesn't off-set the other annoying things on this site. Just to name a few:

I can't seem to stay logged in regardless of clicking on the "remember me" box
Follow Treasure_Hunter's advise and that should be taken care of.

When I get to the homepage, or any other page for that matter, the page loads slowly and I can't do anything until it's finished. Mostly I'm waiting ont he banner to come up and the rest of the top part of the page. It's not my internet connection either!
I'm stumped by this. The site has been flying for me. Most of the posts on the subject that I've seen agree that its flying.

Let's not forget the annoying LARGE block of ads at the top of the page that completely takes up a lot of valuable real estate on the website. Regardless of what page I'm on, I have to always scroll down the page just to see recent threads.
We had several ads up top before too. I can't recall, they weren't on all pages? You can always just click the little "new" symbol at the beginning of the thread and it will bring you right to the newest (for you) post.

On the old layout, I had saved a few threads to my favorites... like some interesting threads from 2008 or even some of my own. If that's still here, I sure as Hell can't find it.
Go to your Profile, click on Settings on the top. You'll see "My Subscriptions" on the left. That should show all of your threads that you were following previously and any new ones.

Like most of you, I frequent just a few areas of this site. Classifieds, Beach and Shallow water, Garage Sales, PMs... and with the old layout, with the quick links at the top of the page, facilitated jumping around faster. But maybe I'm just complaining too much. It is what it is.
If you go to the top, just under "Forum" you'll see "The Hunt Starts Here". Several of the top Boards are clickable from there. Other favorite Boards could also be bookmarked. One of the main reasons I see folks having trouble finding things on here is due to the fact that they are going to the "Home" page when in fact the Boards show under "Forum".

I'm not saying that everything here is bad. I gave it some time to adjust, but to be honest here folks... I'm finding myself coming here less and less.

And now that we're waist deep in the new layout, I'm seeing why I loved the other layout so much. It was much easier to navigate.j

It is what it is I suppose. The new owners like this software better as it is probably more versatile and familiar to them than the old system. I can respect that... but we GOTTA do something about the layout. Keep the code if you want, but how about you try to mimic the old site so people are familiar with where things are?
Most things are still in the same area when looking under the "Forum" tab. Some were moved to try and organize things a bit. If you can't find something just ask. :thumb_up: There are still changes being made daily too, changes that bring things back closer to what was before.

Either this is going to be a LOOOONG learning curve for me, or I'll just wind up leaving this place and move my posts to other websites.

My replies are in blue.

No disrespect to Marc intended but I'm just happy to see the information was not lost in another hardware failure, to see that the site isn't held together with bubblegum and toothpicks anymore. I'd rather have to get used to something new if its for the better, and this has been for the better.

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Firefox it has no problem remembering my id and password, just click and enter how simple is that , unlike other sites I dont type anything here

OP
OP
Bobbypins

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Bobby, I agree with you completly. I can't stand this site. I have to scroll over 3" left and right on every post to every comment. I go away for two weeks and come back to this. In the past I probably hit this site several times a day (don't tell my boss) I have been back one week and this is the 3rd time I have even visited. It is just too much work to read and track down posts that I have been following.

Changing the subject. What is the weather like in Okinawa now? I just spent 2 weeks in central Japan. (Yamanashi & Shizuoka prefectures) My first morning the sign said -4* c and it was raining. I am from So CA and it was cold but I was prepaired.

Back to your topic. I have to scroll lt & rt just to read my post for typos. This was my favorite t-hunter web site. I think I have to look for another.

The weather here has been overcast and rainy lately. It affects my workouts more than anything, as I like to get out and run a few miles about 4 days a week.
I remember one of your posts a couple of weeks back about you going to mainland. As I recall, you were going to do some shopping around the flea markets for some stuff to bring back and resell. Did you find anything good?

I also remember a post you wrote on from a few months back... about scrapping the copper in old tube tvs. As it happens, I just did my first one since I came across a free tv. But let me say this.... that's some work for the little bit of copper I did get. Don't get me wrong... a pound here and a pound there adds up, but jeesh... it was harder to dispose of my trash. This IS japan you know. I just took it to the dumpster on base.... LOL

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dan,

Something isnt right, you should not have to be scrowling to type, and see your message, I don't have to... Sounds like a setting..... Have you tried using "go advance" when you want to post? I can see the entire message box, no scrolling......

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Bobbypins - logging in issue: Delete your cookies; Close your browser; Re-start your browser; Navigate to TNet and log-in; Problem solved.

Advertisements - (new owners won't like the recommendation, but you are a paying Charter Member and have already contributed your 2 cents) Use Firefox; Install AdBlock Plus extension; Never see an advertisement again; You're welcome.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobbypins - logging in issue: Delete your cookies; Close your browser; Re-start your browser; Navigate to TNet and log-in; Problem solved.

Advertisements - (new owners won't like the recommendation, but you are a paying Charter Member and have already contributed your 2 cents) Use Firefox; Install AdBlock Plus extension; Never see an advertisement again; You're welcome.

Be sure to close any treasurenet screens before you reset your cookies..

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Firefox it has no problem remembering my id and password, just click and enter how simple is that , unlike other sites I dont type anything here

It's what I do, but strangely for the few few days I had no problems and now I fairly regularly have to click to log in.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember one of your posts a couple of weeks back about you going to mainland. As I recall, you were going to do some shopping around the flea markets for some stuff to bring back and resell. Did you find anything good?

I also remember a post you wrote on from a few months back... about scrapping the copper in old tube tvs

I am only posting because I asked a question. I had to reduce my image to 75% so i do not have to scroll lt & rt, now i can barelly read the words.

Bobby, I did not have time to track down any antique stores while in Japan, my wife kept me very active going places. In Matsumoto we walked past a used book store and I told my wife we have to stop. She ended up spending as much as I did 5,000 Y total. I bought 4 old movie posters/brochures from the late 1930'S all were U.S. movies. My best a John Wayne movie Stagecoach all in Japanese.

I do not do TV or monitors because of the tiny amount of copper and what is there my recycler pays little because it if "fine" wire.

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am only posting because I asked a question. I had to reduce my image to 75% so i do not have to scroll lt & rt, now i can barelly read the words.

Bobby, I did not have time to track down any antique stores while in Japan, my wife kept me very active going places. In Matsumoto we walked past a used book store and I told my wife we have to stop. She ended up spending as much as I did 5,000 Y total. I bought 4 old movie posters/brochures from the late 1930'S all were U.S. movies. My best a John Wayne movie Stagecoach all in Japanese.

I do not do TV or monitors because of the tiny amount of copper and what is there my recycler pays little because it if "fine" wire.

Cyberdan,

What resolution do you run? Can you take a screenshot of what you are seeing? This side to side scrolling makes no sense to me unless something is not looking right on your setup.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What resolution do you run? Can you take a screenshot of what you are seeing? This side to side scrolling makes no sense to me unless something is not looking right on your setup.
running at 800 X 600 I know that is pretty coarse but if I go any higher all my programs become tiny. Even at that resolution I am happy with all the images I come across, still very good detail. Can't do a screen shot.

On ALL OTHER chat groups I do not have this problem.

jimmatt_43

Feb 2, 2007
This site is painfully slow and sticky for me too.I was going to open a pay pal account just so I could donate,now I am not so sure.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been here every day since the switch and I have no clue why people think it's "slow".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread