The new "thing"

Metal Head

May 2, 2008
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 , Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Explorer SE
The new "thing"

I went to the beach the other day and did some Mding.

As I was moving along some guy with his girlfriend threw some change in my path as he told her "watch this" as if something amazing was going to happen.

The thing is the whole feel of the situation was that he thought he was somehow belittling me to show off to his girlfriend. I just thought o.k. if he is gonna throw money away and all i need to do is scoop it then he is the idiot.

only 20 minutes later some teenagers were playing football on the beach, guys and girls. As I approached a girl in the game gave a nod to her friend sitting on the beach. Her friend came over and discreetly handed something off. I figured it was drugs or something. Then the game girl ran toward me and released three dimes into the sand in my path before changing direction. She tried to do it so that I would not notice but I saw the shimmer in the sun as she released them.

Now since someone had just done this earlier in an insulting fashion I figured that this was the same thing So I didn't even give them any pleasure in seeing me "detect" the change. When i got to the spot I just stopped and smiled at her as I scooped the spot that I had visually marked.

Anyway I just wanted to know if any one else has witnessed this. Obviously these girls have done this before as there was no verbal communication just a nod as if they agreed that they should do this anytime an Mder passes by.

Kind of silly. My whole take on it is that they get some kind of kick out of seeing someone "work" for thier pocket change.

I guess the joke is on me.

When gas hits $10 and there are no jobs available due to automation I guess the joke will be on them.

Metal Head

Upvote 0

Chi Town Bruce

Nov 4, 2006
Re: The new "thing"

Yes Metal Head,
They are jerking your chain at least you saw something was up.

On the coast of FL. they cut up coins to mess with us.

In Chicago, I have a group of active gals who drop there tops! no kidding !!
While in waist deep water, of course it's early and just me and the girls ;D

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I don't get that much down here ,, More curiosity and ??? than anything else . I'm a pretty stout guy and so are my hunting partners , Than tend not to fool with us carrying those big sand scoops if you get my drift ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Guzz1

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've gotten that a few times. About a year ago, a guy threw a nickel in my direction. I had seen him rifling through his pockets, then he turned to his girlfriend like to say "watch this" and he tossed it. I just scooped it up, looked at his very attractive girlfriend for a few seconds and walked away.

A few months ago I dug up a few coins not far from a couple in their 40's. After I recovered them, the guy starts laughing and points at himself gesturing that he had put them there for me to find. About 10 feet away I hit another pocket spill, at this time the guy comes over and asks me if I'm finding much. I told him that his planted coins may have brought me luck, because I had found more.

I try not to let these kind of incidents bother me. Now.... the BEEP BEEP BEEP (poor imitation of a metal detector) thing gets a little old. I mean come on, do they really think that's funny?

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I know you shouldn't tell anyone what you've found, but most people don't realize the types of things you can find with an MD. They think we're scrounging for pennies and dimes just to eat, or something. It's tempting sometimes to say "Thanks for the change, I dig everything and that's why I just found a massive platinum 2 carat diamond ring worth about $4K a few minutes ago." Then watch the wife or girlfriend look at her partner with that "why don't I have one of those...start swinging" kind of looks. Of course, this would be just a little fib, but it would probably shut them up. I haven't had anyone do anything "dastardly" to me yet...most leave me alone or are interested in what I'm doing. Actually, I take that back...one morning I was almost tackled by a drug-crazed freak, but I turned around in time to see him running full speed at me...I guess I wasn't as easy a target as he thought I was with the big scoop in my hand...once I saw him he stopped and started walking down the beach with a big evil grin on his face...he was about 30 feet away when I spotted him...head on a swivel.

HH!
TBGO

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When I have been close to the boardwalk here in ocean city NJ I have had a few teenagers say watch this and toss pennies at me..and I said back, sorry PAL, I dont dig nothing less then a quarter and walked on with my business.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would just just blow it off, remember all your silver, gold and diamond finds over the year, and laugh at them. It has ocassionally happened to me, usually young punks.

I have had a couple times where someone comes up laughing and ask me "you ever find anything good with that thing?" Since it usually happens during the day, I am not concerned, I will laugh and tell them "well the wife is wearing the 3 diamond rings I found last year", the other gold and silver rings with out diamonds are in my treasure chest......So yes, I do find good things.................... :thumbsup:

Foilman

Aug 17, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandito II uMax

I know if there are people on the beach, many will consider you a nerd.

I had my in laws neighbor throwing pennies will I was checking the yard, he since hung himself.

I had a couple young babes doing the "beep beep, I'm getting a signal., but believe it or not I know one of them actually was trying to strike up a conversation with me, but I figured it out too late.

Also I was with my daughter in Hatteras when she was about 6 or 7. I bought her a radioshack machine. She could barely swing it. An old man was sitting on the dunes and waves me over and tells me his father had a machine and had a lot of fun with it. He went in to his pocket and whipped out over 3 dollars in change and says here go bury this where she can find it. I thanked him and said your a nice man! She couldn't believe what she found.
So some people are just trying to see your reaction, but most are toying with you, some are curious, there are all kinds at the beach.

Some believe anything. One woman asked me what I was doing. I said I was cleaning the beach and she replied,"Oh you work for the city, that is great that they have you doing that." Now theres a lip biter for ya!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions