the next step. to minelab ?

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
quick history.long time hunter since mid 60s. quit mding about 1986 first to find a wife.and secondly i was scoring on crhing.always kept my hand in and went maybe 2 or 3 x a year. retired in 2005. after moving work finally done and crh finds shrinking to very low idecided to come back to mding last year. my experience was in varied tech breakthrus. from 1966 to early 1968 i carried a bfo unit that u had to have a seperate transistor radio tuned to a certain freq to work. in mid 68 i went to a bfo that was all one unit.xmas 69 brought my first tr unit.a whites 66t goldmaster.in THE EARLY 70S i was fortunate to know an old gent who let me borrow his ah pro every few weeks or so.wow DISCRIMINATION. ABOUT 76 OR 77 i finally got my own disciminator a compass 94b.went to the fancier compass 77ib with meter about 1979. in 81 or 82 fisher came out with silent search slo mo discrim.i never had any of the whipping style discrim such as the white 6000 series.so had the fisher 1225x all upto the late 80s.in the 1990s did very little detecting.tried the fisher cz6 thought it nothing special.so i come back.cant believe they are still selling the 1225x new.i want a current machine and end up with the silver umax. seem like 1983 tech w some refinement.and only machine that can touch the minelabs on depth.[10x12 coil] and reas cost.after gettin bacK into the SWING of things.bad joke :D I KNOW NOW THAT I WANT TO KEEP DETECTING. also after using the silver umax w big coil i really need more info.i never really thought i needed a readout but any xtra info might be helpful.IT SEEMS TODAYS HUNTING IS A WHOLE NEW BALLGAME. most of the ez targets are gone. almost all todays machines have a readout. i guess only the minelabs explorer have the depth the silver does while still providing a target id.i am hesitant to go to minelab as i hear they are expensive to begin with ,not rugged and break a lot,and hard to learn.the new e trac is supposed to be lighter and more user friendly.is also a grand an a half. im confused

Upvote 0

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
I hear nothing but good things about the silver UMax.What kind of areas do you hunt?I hunt mostly trashy parks where target masking is a huge problem,also I can't dig 1,000 holes in a public park.I find having a screen helps in helping deciding what to dig ,without leaving the park looking like a minefield.I've used a Whites M6 the last 18 months and have done alright finding ,about a 130 silver coins,some nice jewlery.My hunting buddy Ricardo_NY1 uses an Explorer XS and does much better.The Explorer seems to do a better job on masking than M6 and that is the key in trashy areas.I've picked a used Explorer XS for $450(I buy all my detectors used) and I'm in the process of learning it.Over the last 3 hunts I've found 5 silver coins,which ain't bad for a novice on this machine.It is different and takes a while to really learn and it is heavy,but I know it will produce.Do you need it?If you hunt woods or farmfields ,no, but modern parks and schools,I would say consider it. HH

OP
OP
scrounger d detector collector
Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
the silver works great and im glad i have it. very light and ez to use.but i cant tell the difference between a quarter at one inch and a beer can at 8 inches.its all just a loud blasting signal. im in an area with few hunting areas becuz low population. and unwilling to drive very far due to high fuel costs.although ive dug thousans of silvers during my carrer.i have found none since returning in last year.good job over a hunderd wow! unfortunately the place i hunt has max large can slaw. :(

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
I was a diehard CZ user and working to pull old stuff. I got the Explorer and it is hard to learn if you are used to something else. It is a SLOW sweep machine. I am finding stuff that I know my CZs would have missed. I get silver coins 80% of my outings. If you are serious about finding deep old silver, the Explorer is a great machine. If you are a schoolyard clad hunter, this machine will make you nuts, and I would not recommend it. Agreed, it is expensive, but with the new E-Trac coming out you may be able to pick up a clean used Explorer for a good price.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions