sailboat3.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 419

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Thats amazing! I would say yes that 12 hours can be along time when you have pounding waves crashing down on you. Imagine the weight of the water that must have gotten in the bilge and the sand being scoured away. The wreck would sink right into the sand just as is shows in the picts.

Where did you find the images Tom?

Robert

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
no doubt---as a merchant seaman we once got a call to get the crew of a ship

it was a medium size sailing ship 5 man crew taking water ---we got to them in a few hours they were adrift in a small life raft near the sinking ship just after we arrived at the spot the sailing vessel started bobbing front to rear and back and forth a short bit later she went down by the head --blowing out her transom --(the trapped air blew it out) ---I got photographs of it ---the german capt and crew that had been hired to bring the ship "the spinning jenny of lune" from maimi to its new owner in giabralter ask that I let him have them to "show" that the vessel had indeed went down (there would be in investagation) and as I had the only photographic "proof" of the sinking--I let him have them -----being the cheif steward --I took up a collection of clothing from our guys so they could put clean dry clothes on and fed them well gave them each a cigar from my stock and settled them in a room for some rest---the men were thankful and the german capt later wrote me a nice letter thanking me for their "rescue" and said that the photographs helped prove the fact she sank and was not "sold off" to the insurance company---the cause of loss ---the ship had been dry stored for some time--the packing around the shaft had dried up-- when she was running for awhile it gave out ---she was taking on water faster than they could get it out. end of the road. Ivan

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Just think if this had been a Spanish (wooden)ship caught in a Hurricane all you would see would be debre scatter everywhere-WHAT DID NOT GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THE OCEAN THAT IS.
It clearly shows how treasure is found under the sand.
Great pictures.
Peg leg

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sheehs, and here I have been dreaming of just such a beautiful vessel, and to think that she was lost due to the terror of Lloyds of London, Omni , and his boobo sigh.

don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. fascinating pictures gracias, but snifff. you ruined my day such a beauty lost sigh.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Questions:

Where did the Main and Jib go?

Additionally, between picture 1&2, where did the bow navigation light go in pic 3?

The theory is demonstrated by standing in soft sand on a beach in the surf. You can sink pretty quickly.

Just curious...

OP
OP
M

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In a related story...................

GREEK CRUISE SHIP SINKS
By DEREK GATOPOULOS, Associated Press Writer
April 6

ATHENS, Greece - A Greek cruise ship that struck a volcanic reef and forced the evacuation of hundreds of tourists sank on Friday, 15 hours after it began taking on water off the coast of a Mediterranean island. A Frenchman and his daughter were missing, officials said.

Passengers on Thursday climbed down rope ladders to coast guard boats below in a three-hour rescue that involved Greece's military, commercial ships and local fishermen from the island of Santorini. Passengers on the cruise were mostly American, and also included groups from Canada and Spain.

Authorities said two French passengers — a 45-year-old man and his 16-year-old daughter — had still not been accounted for, and lists of rescued passengers were being rechecked.

Tourism Minister Fanny Palli Petralia said she had spoken with the missing passenger's wife.

"The lady said her cabin filled with water when the ship struck rocks and that she narrowly escaped," Petralia said. "She was not sure whether her husband and daughter made it out because things happened so suddenly ... in a few seconds. Her other child was up on deck and was evacuated safely."

Those rescued said most people remained calm though there were some tense moments.

The Sea Diamond struck rocks in the sea-filled crater formed by a volcanic eruption 3,500 years ago. Tourists gathered on clifftop towns and villages to watch the rescue.

"We realized there was a serious problem ... We exited our cabin and it was tough to be able to walk out of the ship. A lot of people were very emotional over it, upset, very frightened," said Stephen Johnson, a Canadian passenger.

An Australian passenger, Katie Sumner, said the early stages of the rescue were chaotic.

"We heard a big shudder and then the whole boat started to tilt," Sumner said.

"All of our glasses were sliding everywhere and our warning that the ship was sinking was some of the staff running down the corridor screaming out 'life jackets' and banging on doors, so we got no time to, sort of, get ready or anything, we just left as we were."

The 469-foot Sea Diamond was operated by Louis Cruise Lines, part of a Cyprus-based tourism group. The Merchant Marine Ministry said 1,195 passengers and 391 crew members were on board.

"Whoever is responsible for this will be held accountable in the strictest way," Petralia said. "Greece is a major tourism destination and incidents like this must not be allowed to occur. ... Authorities handled the rescue very well."

Most of the rescued passengers arrived at Athens' main port of Piraeus Friday on a chartered ferry and a Louis cruise ship.

Authorities on Santorini said they were working to contain a small oil spillage from the sunken

Attachments

• cruise_ship_sinks.jpg
    cruise_ship_sinks.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 323

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread