The Offer

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Scar

Dec 25, 2010
The 1/3 offer is more than fair. I have to wonder how many of folks that have commented to this thread have ever been there and done that. This is not the same thing as knocking on someones door and asking if you could detect their yard for a 50/50 split. This is what we call a wildcat in the oilpatch and a wildcat is generally riskey, extremely riskey. I do this same deal every day, seven days a week. I tell the landowner that through my teams research we feel that there is a good chance that oil is underground and we would like to drill for it. If we find it we will give the landowner 1 barrel for every 5 barrels we produce. We will furnish our four empty barrels and the landowner can furnish his one empty barrel to put the oil in or we can sell the oil for him and furnish him the barrel and tote the oil to the refinery for a nominal fee. Sure the landowner can drill his on well but none of them do. Most of the landowners take my deal. Many of them have become multi millionaires because of my deal. Same deal different treasure.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scar said:
The 1/3 offer is more than fair. I have to wonder how many of folks that have commented to this thread have ever been there and done that. This is not the same thing as knocking on someones door and asking if you could detect their yard for a 50/50 split. This is what we call a wildcat in the oilpatch and a wildcat is generally riskey, extremely riskey. I do this same deal every day, seven days a week. I tell the landowner that through my teams research we feel that there is a good chance that oil is underground and we would like to drill for it. If we find it we will give the landowner 1 barrel for every 5 barrels we produce. We will furnish our four empty barrels and the landowner can furnish his one empty barrel to put the oil in or we can sell the oil for him and furnish him the barrel and tote the oil to the refinery for a nominal fee. Sure the landowner can drill his on well but none of them do. Most of the landowners take my deal. Many of them have become multi millionaires because of my deal. Same deal different treasure.

Understand. But don't you also work for, (or in some way connected to), a recognizable company that can be easily researched and confirmed? Point is, "you bring credibility and an open past history of success with you in your offer"...whereas, for whatever reasons, Frank is unable/unwilling to display/present that same open credibility and successful past history. This is what I'm seeing as the big disadvantaging monster that has to be overcome in some way. :dontknow:

Scar

Dec 25, 2010
Bigscoop most of what you say is true but some of the most well known companies are the most untrustworthy. I try to avoid these like the plague. All I have is my reputation of being a straight forward, honest person. I have worked for some unknowns in bad times but never any that would compromise my reputation. I worked for one fellow that used very old time technology, if you can call it technology. He drilled wells using creekology but he was hitting. I think it was luck and I will never laugh again a Lady Luck. I did once and that is why I am not a treasure hunter but a story teller.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say, this has been one of the most interesting subjects, with lots of opinions, and I'm sure lots of people are following this.

Dont let us down Frankn, keep us posted till you reach the conclusion. There are a lot of lessons here, on what to do and not to do, but we wont know until the end, which was the right way to go.

Maybe we could even start another thread, on the question of agreements between "Treasure" hunters, and land owners, (not about permission to search a yard for a few coins)
Also how to make an agreement between a treasure hunter and his partner(s). What happens after long hours of research, and one partner goes it alone, and uses the research to find the treasure. As Frankn pointed out, some projects are just to big, to do it alone, some are impossible. There are probably more than a few of us, that have some kind of lead to a possible treasure, but cannot do it alone, either because of financing, time or know-how. So what is the best way to move forward, or do we just say, "its too big", and give it up?

Another question is actually who OWN's the treasure, its not always an easy question, as Odessy found out. Most treasures are owned by someone, the bank, insurance company or the person the money was stolen from, although most here believe that once its buried, we can just go dig it up, so how do we go about getting ownership, Before we spend time looking for it? And before you say, "just dig it up and be quiet about it, just sell a little bit at a time". Think it through, its not easy to sell old coins, bullion or whatever, without leaving a trail. Do you want to exchange your metal detecting hobby into a criminal occupation?

Hope we can get a good, interesting discussing going.

Scar

Dec 25, 2010
The post about the famed treasure hunter looking for squrrills and putting a tent up to hide what he is doing is just plain criminal in my way of thinking. Ownership of surface and minerals is determined by state and federal law. A complete search of courthouse and state and federal records and statutes created to govern ownership is a must in any legal search. This is not and easy task unless one is schooled in the profession and has various knowledge of the differing state laws. Don't come in with short pants on cause you may get your butt burned. There is more to it than the novice knows.

Run4Cvr

Apr 11, 2011
Central Washington
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1266X, Whites MXT, Makro Racer 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will have to side with the landowner on this one. You keep calling the landowner greedy and that he has nothing invested in this, well I think since he owns the land he has more invested in it than you do. I think that even at 50%, you tend to gain more than he does. I personally tell you to pack sand, especially since he doenst know how much is involved.

If you spent $15000 on expenses to research a treasure on my land, without my permission, Id say your SOL pal.

50% is more than fair, if not, move on.

Scar

Dec 25, 2010
I have never called the landowner greedy, that I can remember. If this post is directed to me.

justanotherbarber

Jan 30, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Vaquero, Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As far as I'm concerned, the bottom line is how you feel about it. I can't imagine the work involved in this endevor and would'nt care to do it myself. All that matters is that you feel it's fair and if the land owner doesnt agree with you, move on to the next project till he dies then take it up with the next owner.

All I'm saying is to not give in or give up. If you put up a sense of urgency, the land owner will no doubt cut off all communication and take matters in his own hands... Wait it out and things may turn around.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scar said:
Bigscoop most of what you say is true but some of the most well known companies are the most untrustworthy.

Sort of confirms my position/opinion/observation that the biggest obstacle here is the credibility of the individual and the offer he's making. Given the circumstances I feel that if I were the landowner I'd have to require some measure of credibility in these two areas before I'd even give the guy a second glance, let alone any serious consideration. We all dislike lawyers, but most people place trust in their own, so if my lawyer confirmed to me that the offer and the guy were legitimate it would sure go a long way towards perking my interest and soothing my suspicions, and it would also allow for a comfortable amount of legal presence. I think, given the circumstances, it would go a long way towards establishing that missing "professional" element/environment. I think these are the two biggest obstacles Frank has to overcome if he wants to be taken seriously and stand any real chance at all with the landowner. Just my own personal opinion and a few thoughts for Frank to maul over. :dontknow:

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Run4 cvr, You say he has more invested in his land"$65,000" than I do. That is true, but I have far more invested in finding this cache that someone else has placed here than he does.
This is all about asking permission.

I like to operate in the shadows. That is low key. I don't want to see newspaper articles about the find. I don't want a "tail" tied to the find. I realize that there are people out there that are looking for people to sue or finds to claim. They just craw out of the woodwork and when it's all done you can actually loose money. The fact is US currency in any form is legal tender and basicly not recorded. In a cache of paper money, it is spendable. In a cache of gold coins, sales are not recorded as they are in bullion sales. I know, I have sold gold coins to dealers. This cache is in Legal tender and is not stolen.
As far as law abiding, I realized a long time ago that you probably break many laws every day most small and some big.
Think about it. In Balto city if you park closer than 6" to the curb, you broke the law. If you drove 1 mile over the limit, you broke the law. How about that questionable tax deduction and the thousands of laws you never knew existed. I live by a hand shake in most cases. I sleep at night because my word is my bond. It has cost me money at times, but I stick to it. In this case the law requires written permission to search private land in Maryland. This also coveres me if the land owner changer his mind. The permission will be good for one year and state the split. Frank
PS partnerships are built on trust. I am pretty good at reading people. My partner and I understand each other.

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Run4Cvr said:
I personally tell you to pack sand, especially since he doenst know how much is involved.

If you spent $15000 on expenses to research a treasure on my land, without my permission, Id say your SOL pal.
As stated earlier in this thread, There was "boots on ground" in the search... But no Trespassing took place.. Just driving time, looking at mailbox number's.. Trying to locate where the property , And it's current Owner..

Run4Cvr wrote---> If you spent $15000 on expenses to research a treasure on my land, without my permission, Id say your SOL pal.

Can you Tell Everyone how to locate a property, Or the owner Without knowing who the owner is, Or where the property Lies, So we can ask permission before researching for future Hunts?

Poorhunter

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Some of you people are irritating me to the max !
I don't have a dog in this fight . Just a friend and a potential friend . They have NOT trespassed ! Research and 'Boots On The Ground' traveling legal county and state highways to locate the property of the potential search area .
I've done some real treasure hunting and may again . Know the time it involves . Got a couple hundred acres with at least 3 pre Civil War homesites , Indian encampment that predates those . Staging area for a major Confederate raid during the Civil War .
Got little time to hunt , myself . Frankn and his partner want to hunt my place for 1/3 I'll even feed them a meal cooked on my bbq .
You negative jackwagons don't even need to ask . THE ANSWER IS .......NO !

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trucker, How the heck yuh been My Fine Friend!!! :thumbsup:

sjarchangel

Sep 13, 2008
Delaware
Detector(s) used
V3i, ETrac, Excal II, Shadow X2, Tesoro Silver Max, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
In this case the law requires written permission to search private land in Maryland.

Are you saying Maryland Law requires written permission to MD on private land? If so, please cite ref to that Law.

SJA

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
sjarchangel said:
Frankn said:
In this case the law requires written permission to search private land in Maryland.

Are you saying Maryland Law requires written permission on private land? If so, please cite ref to that Law.

SJA
Can't answer for MD . WV requires written permission to be on private property uninvited .

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
truckinbutch said:
sjarchangel said:
Frankn said:

Are you saying Maryland Law requires written permission on private land? If so, please cite ref to that Law.

SJA
Can't answer for MD . WV requires written permission to be on private property uninvited .
There is a guy who owns uncountable acres Near Trucker And I, He rides around on his UTV. Making sure Noone Comes on his Property.. 5-6 I heard of were Arrested for Trespassing this Hunting Season Alone..

Poorhunter

Sam 8

Jan 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT..it is a Pro, but I am a rookie.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank...

I think you have done a great job of explaining the process here, and based on everything we've gone over I think you are moving this in exactly the right direction.

sjarchangel

Sep 13, 2008
Delaware
Detector(s) used
V3i, ETrac, Excal II, Shadow X2, Tesoro Silver Max, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
" . . . on private property uninvited"

Then that's trespassing, on any account.

SJA

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread