The Old St. Joe River sure is low (News Update)

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed the other day on the news that they were lowering the water level on the St. Joseph River so that they could do some repairs to the Twin Branch Dam.

As I was driving through town this morning I noticed that the water level is really low and a lot of the sand bars are very noticeable, which might make for some good detecting in the shallows before they raise the levels.

L8r
DJH

Update
Per The Elkhart Truth
Posted: 9/25/2010 12:00:00 AM

The power company began a slow, 6-inch per day lowering process Thursday along a section of the river, between the Twin Branch Dam in Mishawaka and the Johnson Street Dam in Elkhart.

The Mishawaka dam needs general maintenance and repairs, and I&M must lower the river about 5 feet to perform the upgrades.

The river will continue to drop until Oct. 2, and if all goes well, will begin rising again Oct. 10.

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Re: The Old St. Joe River sure is low

were you driving in E-town OR M-town/Twin Branch area???

I might check it out on Sunday:)

OP
OP
diggin jimmy hoffa

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vibes said:
were you driving in E-town OR M-town/Twin Branch area???

I might check it out on Sunday:)
E-Town near Island Park.

I'm sure you know the place, the one where the other guy I hunt with had the informal hunt that I couldn't attend to due to my work schedule :laughing7:

Thinking of hitting that stretch on Sunday and see what the riverbed looks like. Hopefully low enough to do some detecting. I think either at that spot or on the other side they had boats that carried people to and from the island before they built the bridges. Who knows?

Thought I would post about the water level and maybe everyone who has an old haunt near it might be able to finds some goodies.
L8r

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut

maybe I'll take the scenic route home and check out this part of the river action:)

Thanks for the heads up DJH:)

OP
OP
diggin jimmy hoffa

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thoughts.......

I know, they aren't much, but if AEP is doing repairs to the dam at Twin Branch, water levels above and below should be lower than normal. If memory serves correctly, they were lowering something like 10 feet. Check the newsroom archives and see what you can find.

:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread