The Oldest and Most Incredible Weapons System...Ever. The ATLATL

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Precision Atlatl and Dart Systems

Over 12,000 years ago, hunters tracking herds of the last ice age across the frozen tundra of what is now the state of Alaska became the first immigrants to enter the North American continent. These hunter-gatherers brought with them a weapon that reigned supreme among them and their descendents for thousands of years to come, the Atlatl. It was the first true weapon system developed by humans, originating in Europe over 30,000 years ago and spreading to every corner of the globe that humans occupied. In fact the Atlatl and Dart were used and improved upon for so long by our ancient ancestors that, comparatively speaking, the Bow and Arrow can be considered a recent development in projectile technology. So powerful and effective was the Atlatl that scientist and scholars speculate that it, along with the overkill tactics so common to the human race, caused the extinction of the woolly mammoth in North America before the end of the ice age.

Largely replaced by the Bow and Arrow around the birth of Christ, it was still being used by some Native Americans during the age of discovery, 500 years ago. When Columbus encountered natives using the Atlatl during his voyages to the New World - Europeans who had long forgotten the weapon - soon became familiar with it again. These encounters were most certainly with the business end of the weapon, the European wondering, "what was that?", just before dying.

The Aztecs preferred the Atlatl as a weapon of war. We get the word "Atlatl" (pronounced at-la-tal) from their language. In fact, the Atlatl and Dart were the only weapon Cortez and his Conquistadors feared because it easily pierced the Spanish armor, often sending the hapless soldier to meet his Maker. If Montezuma had not mistaken Cortez for the Feathered Serpent God Quantzaquatle, history may have been very different, with the 200 or so Spanish conquistadors being only a footnote in the history of that Nation, foolish invaders who were overwhelmed by superior firepower.

The Atlatl and Dart have enjoyed widespread use throughout the world. At one time or another people everywhere have used it as their main weapon for food, procurement, and war. Even today it is used by the natives of Australia, Papua New Guinea, and some tribes in South America and Northwest Mexico. But it was in North America - more specifically in what is now the continental United States - that the weapon was developed to its fullest potential. Typically for our species, Native Americans tinkered and toyed with this weapon system, developing and improving the technology to such a high level of sophistication that it is impressive even by today's standards. Just as firearms have developed from muzzle-loaders to breach loaders to lever actions and automatics the Atlatl has undergone a similar evolution.

All but lost 2,000 years ago, the technology of the Atlatl and Dart have been brought back from the past by BPS Engineering.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I pictured it a little different. The atlatl That I have seen in museums was actually a spear, no feathers, and an extension that pushed the rear of the spear. It not only gave the spear more force, but more range, keeping the hunter out of harms way. The spear utilizes the arm movement from shoulder to outstretched position and the extension allowed you to use the downward swing of the thronging arm to add force and distance to the spear.
Just my observations. Frank hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe the ones without the fletchings were the more primitive ones.I have an atlatl dart point I believe it dates 8000 to 9000BC.Its a single barb arrowhead.The dart itself was a shorter shaft (with the point)that fit onto the longer spear shaft in a socket.When it hit the animal the spear shaft fell away leaving the shorter shaft in the animal.Heres a picture of the point.sorry for picture quality,only have a webcam to take pictures with.

snap.JPEG

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Oh, the way I pictured it working was only the spear flew at the target. The secondary launch stick stayed with the thorougher. Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 148
OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It did stay with the thrower,The smaller shaft(the dart with point)fit onto the longer spear shaft via a socket.You basically had a two piece spear shaft that you were throwing.For sake of argument say the last foot of the spear shaft was the dart with the point.When you threw it and hit an animal the dart would inbed in the animal and the longer spear shaft would fall away from the animal.For war they were probably different,single piece.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread