Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Camped at Turtle Rock campground north of Buena Vista last night. This is a free campground where I've camped before, and it's been a little sketchy years past, but these days they have a camp host and best shape I've ever seen the place. They did some mining in this area but don't think they were very successful. Not bad weather, but still windy up here in the daytime. Late in the evening snow started coming in but turned to freezing rain when it got to me, and didn't amount to much. Great area for hiking as much as you want. I did about 5 miles, and thought about a few more, but once you've seen one bigfoot you've pretty much seen them all, haha!
5-1a.jpg
5-1b.jpg
5-1c.jpg
5-1d.jpg
5-1h.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A boss I had at Climax tell me a lot of those poke holes around that side of the river were Uranium prospects done in the 1950s when folks were chasing down any place that slightly gave a reading with a geiger counter. I don't think any of the rock was hot enough to be worth mining, but there was a time back then when folks were really active hunting for high grade deposits of Uranium and some actually stuck it rich. Most of the big discoveries were found on the Colorado Plateau.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down below along the river that's all gold country. And you go down SE of where I was and you have what they call Spanish Mill. Not a mill but an arristra and not Spanish at all, pretty sure you know where that one is. A mine close to that, but not sure what they were looking for. And you know that green material does kinda remind you of what they were lookin at in Utah.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful place. Looks like cougar country
Pretty much. CPW is considering how to reduce them. Not a problem for me, and last report I heard was some guy relaxing in his hot tub near Buena Vista and a mountain lion came up and swiped him on the head. Bad deal, be we all had to laugh.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down below along the river that's all gold country. And you go down SE of where I was and you have what they call Spanish Mill. Not a mill but an arristra and not Spanish at all, pretty sure you know where that one is. A mine close to that, but not sure what they were looking for. And you know that green material does kinda remind you of what they were lookin at in Utah.
I do know where that arrastra is. I remember telling you about it here on TN. That I believe was a small gold mine operation. When I lived in BV, it was known as the Spanish Mill. No one seemed to know much about how old it really is. It did I recall have a metal bushing in the center hole, which lead me to believe it wasn't really that old. There was also attempts to mine gold out of some low grade veins also in the area. Feldspar was also something that was mined in the area I was told also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread