bigfish313

Nov 11, 2013
El Cerrito CA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and BH SS II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Everyone,

So this happened to me the other day and I'm kind of pissed off about it now. I know I cant really do anything about it except learn for next time it happens.
I did the honest thing and called this lady over from across the yard to hear the signal. I could have (should have) kept my mouth shut.
I would like to know what you all do about bucket list finds on someones property?
I understand if I ask permission on an old family farm the admirable thing to do is show everything and let them choose. This lady is renting the house with her boy-friend and doesn't own the property.
I also posted this on a Facebook Group and some people say "get it in writing". Is that really going to help?
BTW: the next day I sent her a private message but haven't heard back:
"I'll give you $20 for that other coin. In the condition it's in you could only get melt value which is about $6. For a metal detectorist like me it's on the bucket List. You could also take it to the El Cerrito Coin Exchange down the street from your house to see what it's worth. Please think about it. Thanks!"

Anyways here is the Facebook post:

"I finally found a Walking Liberty half-dollar! I also found a 1901 Barber half dollar in the same yard. I got a call from a lady who lost her keys gardening. She asked me what I wanted for payment and I said just let me hunt the rest of your yard. She said I could keep anything that I found. When I found the the Barber she immediately Googled how much it was worth and put it in her pocket. I stopped hunting.
1828A_1024x1024.jpg IMG_20170626_180553.jpg

Upvote 0

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chalk this up as a lesson learned.

If I personally know the property owner and I trust them then I will gladly show what I find. If I get a permission to hunt a place I generally won't show my find unless asked, and even then I will tend to leave the better stuff in my pouch. Most property owners don't care what you find and don't ask. Occasionally I will find ones who want to follow me around and watch every move or they will say that they get to keep everything that I find. I don't hunt those places as it is not worth the aggravation.

A few years ago I got permission to detect around an old house. I immediately got bad vibes from the old man who lived there. While I was detecting I spotted him taking photos of my car out of the corner of my eye so at that point I was ready to leave. I went to thank him and the SOB reached into my pouch without saying a word and tried to grab what I had found, which was mostly trash and an old key. I wanted to punch the old SOB but I calmly walked to my car and left. With him photography my car behind my back I had the feeling that he was trying to set me up.

It takes thick skin to be in this hobby sometimes.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go back and try go exchange the merc for the keys. If it does'nt work, well I'm pretty sure a nicer merc is waiting for you on a more friendly lawn. HH! Oh I forgot, drop the keys in front of her in the gutter before leaving. >:D

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread