The over looked 4 kHz frequency

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been using the lower frequency's 4-8 kHz coinshooting with the Deus. With 8 kHz being the most used,I've found the target separation,to be a lot wider in the lower frequencys. This makes IDing,and Notching out unwanted targets much easier. In my use I've never seen any depth gain from the higher frequencys! I just dig a lot more trash with them!(little tiny pieces of can slaw,deep),and tons of bottle caps:BangHead: Many targets (both good/and trash)have the same tone/TID in the higher frequencys also. This doesn't happen nearly as much,if any in the lower frequencys a (nickel,and pull tab are close,but that's about all). I've notice that you don't see many programs for the 4 kHz frequency?:dontknow: I my limited experience with the Deus,I can tell you that the 4 kHz is a "Coin Hammer" when coinshooting!:laughing7: It doen'ts have the ability to change TX power,as it's set to a default of high. It can be hard to run in areas where mineralization is high,but in areas where you can run 4 kHz,it jumps on silver/copper coins, like a tick on a coonhound!:laughing7: I've never had any frequency hit cooper/silver as hard as it does,and it doesn't like bottle caps either,(that breaks my heart):laughing7:! I'm really supprized to not see more programs made around the 4 kHz frequency? Maybe it's just me?:dontknow:

Last edited:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I had my Deus I much preferred the 4 & 8k freqs. Hunted mostly with the 8k for the same reasons you mention and used the 4k to check on suspected bottle caps.

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I had my Deus I much preferred the 4 & 8k freqs. Hunted mostly with the 8k for the same reasons you mention and used the 4k to check on suspected bottle caps.
yeah it rats them out for sure!:laughing7:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed 100% I was using 12, alot but kept goin back to 8 & now thats the one i use 95% of the time

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed 100% I was using 12, alot but kept goin back to 8 & now thats the one i use 95% of the time
Yeah,with the 12 I dig too much trash!:thumbsup: A tiny piece of alum rings in like a dime!:icon_scratch: Ya dig down to about 6-7 inches then find it!:BangHead:

Foot hill

Aug 26, 2013
Ca foot hills. (Central ca.)
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and tesoro compadre minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Could you share your coin shooting silver grabber program with us?
I love being able to try new programs with my deus..
Thanks for the tips.

Last edited:

n3umw

Greenie
Jul 16, 2006
Germantown MD
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab X70, Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder if 4 kHz isn't the best frequency for coins...

Best single frequency to use:
(per George Payne, MD design engineer)
Silver dollar = 800 Hz
US Dime and Penny = 2.7 kHz
US Nickel & Gold Jewelry = 17 kHz
Gold Nuggets = above 20 kHz
Best frequencies for detecting all targets is between 10 and 15 kHz
Garrett Pro-Pointer = 12 kHz

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find 8 best for coins in my area. Not set program is good for every area. I run 12 generally though. It is the best "compromise" for me to hit everything really well.

msviking

Feb 13, 2013
Flowood, Mississippi & Orange Beach, AL
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Minelab CTX3030
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Other
While I am new to the Deus, I am finding the same thing to be true, at 4 kHz it is much easier to distinguish trash and pop tops. This being due to the wider VDIs at this frequency.

Apr 13, 2012
Maryville, Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you Ron, the Deus is great at hitting coins with accurate tones and vdi's at those lower frequencies. XP really knew what they were doing when they added those lower frequencies, I dont like to bring up other detectors in the Deus forum but just comparing it to two of the Top detectors known for hitting coins with accurate ids is the V3i and Etrac and even though they are multi-frequency machines the Etrac starts at 1.5khz and the V3i first 2 frequencies are 2.5khz and 7.5khz. So with that reference its just verifying for the people who do not already know that the XP Deus is an excellent detector for coin shooting at the lower frequencies. But, I agree with Bart also the 12khz frequency is more of a well rounded frequency to hunt in because it also hits coins very well and gold(which we all like to find) but unfortunately the vdi's are not as accurate in the higher frequencies on the deeper targets so if you do hunt mainly by checking vdi's you could end up digging more trash or missing a good target. Always best to hunt by tone in the higher frequencies(actually always best to hunt by tone in any frequency and then just verify with the vdi) and if you hear any crackling in the tone its pretty much safe to say its junk. :icon_thumright:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While I am new to the Deus, I am finding the same thing to be true, at 4 kHz it is much easier to distinguish trash and pop tops. This being due to the wider VDIs at this frequency.

Switching to verify trash to other programs is a great idea. Generally the audio can verify trash or junk for me. You never really know though. The only way to know for sure is to dig. I found a really cool boy scout medal last week by digging by audio. Even the audio was not giving me the "dig me" sign. Cherry picking can make you miss some great finds!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Switching to verify trash to other programs is a great idea. Generally the audio can verify trash or junk for me. You never really know though. The only way to know for sure is to dig. I found a really cool boy scout medal last week by digging by audio. Even the audio was not giving me the "dig me" sign. Cherry picking can make you miss some great finds!

Absolutly great advice audio definetly the most reliable

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually hunted in 12Khz with my Deus but was a real fan of 4Khz especially to weed out those bottle caps. I was able to correctly ID a silver quarter at around 10 inches using 4Khz when other detectors had lost a weak signal. I was pretty impressed with that and it was the deepest coin I found with the Deus.

Apr 13, 2012
Maryville, Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly right! The only way to truly know is to dig. I think to myself sometimes... I wonder what all I have left in the ground by choosing not to dig on some of those REALLY iffy signals and no dig signals....lol. Im sure it would be a double edged sword to actually know!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread