tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took these just outside of Carlin, Nevada this last week as I had business to do out there. Carlin is the town where we have a facility at to service the mine's in the northern Nevada area. It seem maybe 5 or 6 years ago they began to build this museum just east a Carlin right off I80 to inform visitors of the overland route across the west. Last Thursday I decided I go have a look at this museum for the first time. It was rather interesting to visit and it doesn't cost anything to have a look. The first picture is the Humboldt as it runs through a place called Carlin Canyon and it was estimated that as many as 200'000 folks traveled west on wagons along the Humboldt going California before the transcontinental railroad was completed. The museum also displayed things about the Native Americans tribes of the Great Basin region, which I found most interesting.

Attachments

• trip 102617 2.jpg
    trip 102617 2.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 61
  • trip 102617 3.jpg
    trip 102617 3.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 57
  • trip 102617 4.jpg
    trip 102617 4.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 57
  • trip 102617 5.jpg
    trip 102617 5.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 54
  • trip 102617 6.jpg
    trip 102617 6.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 48

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
recently had a couple from western CO move here, they were stunned by the greenness in indy
now I see why

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
recently had a couple from western CO move here, they were stunned by the greenness in indy
now I see why
Oh yeah, Very high and dry out in western Colorado. What's up with them? I thought people only moved to Colorado and don't go anywhere else form there?. Maybe they had it with all the pot smokers huh? I do like the green of the Midwest and I do miss it at times.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great pics, Grant! Elko has a pretty good museum, too, though it's all indoors.
Jim

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Great photos. I love seeing how people lived and traveled through the ages.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics, Grant! Elko has a pretty good museum, too, though it's all indoors.
Jim
It's been a while, but I have visited the Elko museum. I always stay in a motel right next to it. I remember there was some kind of mounted deer in there that is no longer found in the area. The one that they had was a fully mounted specimen and it was shot by a hunter like the late 1950s in the Ruby's mountains I believe? It wasn't very big. Maybe it was a blacktail deer :dontknow:

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great photos. I love seeing how people lived and traveled through the ages.
Me to. In a land that looks like certain death to be caught in I find it very interesting to see how people could build boats of Tule reeds to fish in the marshes and shelter made from sage brush. People have survived in this kind of country for a long, long time. Most travelers going across I80 believe there's nothing out there, but fact is it's a land of bountiful resources. Deer, antelope, jackrabbits and edible plants, such as pinõn nuts by the tons. Sometime when I'm out there I want a visit the site of the oldest rock art found in North America. https://www.google.com/amp/s/relay....innemucca-petroglyphs-ancient-rock-art-nevada

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Me to. In a land that looks like certain death to be caught in I find it very interesting to see how people could build boats of Tule reeds to fish in the marshes and shelter made from sage brush. People have survived in this kind of country for a long, long time. Most travelers going across I80 believe there's nothing out there, but fact is it's a land of bountiful resources. Deer, antelope, jackrabbits and edible plants, such as pinõn nuts by the tons. Sometime when I'm out there I want a visit the site of the oldest rock art found in North America. https://www.google.com/amp/s/relay....innemucca-petroglyphs-ancient-rock-art-nevada

Those are really cool. There's a big rock on Kelly's island but nothing like those, nor as old obviously.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Gotta tel you Grant, sometimes I envy you and all the sights you get to see. That's really something there!

...But then I start thinking about how the wife and I don't like to travel and....well....now I'm very grateful for folks like you and Chris and the others who post on here regularly! Just wanting ya'll to know that you do more than simply entertain with your pics. Thank you sir!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions