The Pearl Ship

whiskyninja

Dec 29, 2015
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Gollum! Well I guess it's back to Imperial county. My search on Ancestry didn't turn up much except, Nels Jacobson lived on "road east of Imperial". But then, I'm not the most savy guy when it comes to this sort of thing. I'm going to go back this week and see what I can turn up. Jacobson, Carver relatives, etc. It would be really cool to find the guest house that was actually built with the timbers. That would be the proverbial smoking gun. By the way, thank you everyone, for all the information and support! This has been a lot of fun so far. I love this site!!!!

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And something else .
I believe Iturbe never left the pearl cargo on the ship . A smart man never would left the precious stuff on an abandoned ship . They had plenty of time to hide the cargo somewhere on the mountain slope near the gulf .
After the ship was emptied , and for the reason to not reveal the place , they pushed it to sail free on the Salton sea . This could explain how the ship could be stuck on the east side .
Now remain only to find someone to decrypt the petroglyph map ... Hmm .

Good luck to who is interested !

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi whiskyninja, are you referring to

sock coffee ? If so it hsppensf some time ago Beth, ORO, ROY's wife, used a clean sock to strain the coffeee grounds - a clean sock. since then Roy / Beth have been the originators of a new style of coffee making Beats picking coffee grounds out of your teeth. I even cought him using INSTANT coffee.

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Gollum! Well I guess it's back to Imperial county. My search on Ancestry didn't turn up much except, Nels Jacobson lived on "road east of Imperial". But then, I'm not the most savy guy when it comes to this sort of thing. I'm going to go back this week and see what I can turn up. Jacobson, Carver relatives, etc. It would be really cool to find the guest house that was actually built with the timbers. That would be the proverbial smoking gun. By the way, thank you everyone, for all the information and support! This has been a lot of fun so far. I love this site!!!!

Whiskyninja,
Try the Pioneer Museum in El Centro. PLL was able to get a lot of info from them about Nels, and thought he had pinpointed the location to within about 80 acres (which is a LOT of ground to cover, but still less than the whole Imperial Valley). Note that, IMO the Nels ship and the Glamis Dunes ship are not the same.....

JB

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're welcome. If you come up with anything that you feel comfortable posting, please do so (pictures would be nice). I'm interested, but, likely on private property and no treasure, I'm like Gollum, in that I won't go out of my way to look. Hope you find something.

JB

whiskyninja

Dec 29, 2015
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No info at the museum. Luckily, I'm perfectly comfortable with the fact that everyone thinks I'm crazy.

geezerdb

Jan 18, 2013
NE Oregon
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab X-Terra 705, Mine Lab GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I recently watched the episode about the 'Lost ship of the Mojave Desert' on the Myth Hunters series which is on Netflix. Then I discovered this thread, and went from page 23 to this last page to ask a question: is the 'Lost ship of the Mojave Desert' likely the same one(s) as discussed in this thread? Forgive me if this has already been addressed, but it took a long time to read thru from page one to twenty three, so I just had to skip to the last page to hopefully find out! :icon_scratch:

whiskyninja

Dec 29, 2015
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I got nothing. Nobody's heard of this thing in Brawley or El Centro. Time to pack it up.

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I got nothing. Nobody's heard of this thing in Brawley or El Centro. Time to pack it up.

Well, let's be honest here. If you had an old ship buried in your back 40 (or back yard), would you tell anybody about it? probably not, unless you knew them really well and could trust them not to tell.

JB

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would ask around at the local bars...

If anything was there is would be pretty common knowledge amoung the long time locals...even if it wasn't really there...the rumors of it being there would be known and talked about

whiskyninja

Dec 29, 2015
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just spent four days there, doing just that. All I learned was what a hangover in Brawley feels like. No fun my friend!

Last edited:

adtofca

Banned
Jan 22, 2016
California Sun
Detector(s) used
minelab thingy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just spent four days there, doing just that. All I learned was what a hangover in Brawley feels like. No fun my friend!

you made me giggle . hang over is all you came home with ? that is tough i guess you had to do some drinking to get close
to people and ask them questions .
my friends would go to glamis with the dune buggies but they never saw the ship so all they did was drive around get drunk .
i don't believe the ship ever was real . they did believe it was real for a while but not even when drunk did the ship appear to them .
maybe they should have smoked something to see a ship .

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, sorry to hear hittin' the bars didnt produce any results....I quit drinking 26 years ago, still remember some killer hangovers though...lol..But before that anything I wanted to know about in a local area, the bars were the place to find out...Even if a lot of it was BS, sometimes a drop of truth would come out...

Church socials would be my next move...hahahaha

I really hope you track something down as I grew up in San Diego, used to motorcycle desert race a lot of those areas and never heard of this story until now...now wish I still lived out that way so I could do a little looking myself. Missouri is pretty boring on the treasure front...

Good luck to you!

anzayounggun

Mar 16, 2015
state of jefferson
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter (For Now)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why to abandon the ship on the east side of the Salton sea ? Only fools would tried to return from the side of the fresh mud and desert . The only logic decision would be the return to be done from the west side , the mountains .
To be trapped the ship inside the land , the Salton sea should be under 46 ft altitude . I made a map in GE which shows the margins of the Salton sea at 46 ft altitude ( blue colour ). The red line is in the Delta ( Mexico ) region and is the highest point in the wash from the lower point of the region . So , if the Salton sea is under 46 ft , then there is a sand barrier which avoid to pass to the ocean , and if the Salton sea is over 46 ft , then falls on the other side to the ocean .
Now , what should do a logic and smart captain ? IMO , he would try to find o closer and safer way to the west side of the Salton sea and to hide the ship if this is possible for a future return .
What would be the closer and safer way ? IMO , at the north end of the mountains from the west side ( green colour ) , because if they would passed the mountains at the first place ( red line ), they would found on the other side water and mud .
IMO , at the green circle region ( see the second GE image ) , is the only place where they could hide the ship , because there was a little gulf which was surrounded by high hills .

This could be the real story of the Pearl Ship .

View attachment 1257741 View attachment 1257742

i agree, with the geology of the area, the divide between the gulf and the salton basin have a 46ft rise above sea level and the bottom of the sea being 250ft below sea level a strong tidal bore might be able to push over that but not close to the east side the the topography there is too much rise compared to the west side of the basin. i personally think the ship is under the water and mud. ive heard from lurking around on the diving forums that the salton is super scary to dive pitch black water.
and who knows what in the water

this SDSU page had some cool theory and fact about the areas geology and topo The Salton Sea: California’s Overlooked Treasure - Chapter 1

hey gollum do you have pictures of the house addition by chance i am curious to see it.
Totally not trying to call you out just really curious

anzayounggun

Mar 16, 2015
state of jefferson
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter (For Now)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I know this part of treasure legends is slow but dang..
Hmm well I am curious if anyone has any ideas or ongoing theories. Apparently Gollum doesnt want to or is ignoring me but he has stated for 5 years that part of the ship has been used to build a house addition.
W/o any further evidence I think it's still under the water waiting to be uncovered and make someone rich. Now as to the statements made for the ship being near dos Palmas. Excuse my spelling. Or near the springs over the border.

Not throwing mud just stating fact and theory. No trouble wanted.

-Anzayounggunn

Ps. The theory as the pig farmer finding the pearls and selling them in LA. Seems likely but why would the wife tell a ranch hand about it and show him?

Just questions trying to pull people in to the conversation. It has been stated before but I want to revive a section beyond the drama in the LDM forum

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anzayounggun

I believe the pearls were buried somewhere on the mountainside above the place that i have mentioned in my previous posts .
They had all the time to carry out the pearls from the ship . Would be the only logical to do .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread