Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Out of about a dozen detectors purchased used off ebay and these forums only 2 or 3 had no serious undeclared issues.

I just reached number 13 today. A Garrett Sea Hunter XL 500....read the ad and look at the photo.

"UP FOR BID GARRETT SEA HUNTER 500 XL PULSE

THIS DETECTOR IS IN GOOD SHAPE BUT NEEDS A

NEW BATTERY IT COME WITH THIS LARGE 13" COIL

HEADPHONE THAT ARE IN GOOD SHAPE ALSO A

110 WALL CHARGER ALL YOU NEED IS A BATTERY

AN YOUR ALL SET TO FIND GOLD RINGS AN COINS

SHIPS LOWER 48 US"

Attachments

• Garrett_Case.jpg
    Garrett_Case.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 825
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear MB, I have purchased 8 used detectors so far and everyone arrived in described condition and in perfect working order.....

If you bought it off of EBay file a claim..........

miket

Jun 3, 2008
florida west coast
Detector(s) used
whites beach hunter 300
if it was purchased from e-bay i`d definately file a claim with e-bay. if am item is significantly not as described (as yours is because its cracked and they said in "good condition") you`ll win the claim. i think you got 45 days from auction end to do so. plus e-bay has a new thing to protect buyers..they will refund your total cost including shipping if an item is significantly not as described.
check it out and good luck!
did they have a photo in the ad showing any damage??
i sell a few things on e-bay from time to time and I wouldn`t mislead anyone like that...that`s terrible..
:icon_pirat:
:thumbsup:

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So are you showing us that the case was cracked? There were two auctions for this unit one on the
22nd Feb and one on 17th Feb both said the same description as you described? One sold for 152.50 and the other 175.00 which one did you get? Did they have two. Both the pictures I saw had complete units. Did they ship an empty case? Maybe this is why Ebays policy is to hold the sellers money when selling metal detectors for 30 days?That just started. Besides Paypal will pay you back as it was not as described. I am confused?

miket

Jun 3, 2008
florida west coast
Detector(s) used
whites beach hunter 300
Buried Crap NJ said:
So are you showing us that the case was cracked? There were two auctions for this unit one on the
22nd Feb and one on 17th Feb both said the same description as you described? One sold for 152.50 and the other 175.00 which one did you get? Did they have two. Both the pictures I saw had complete units. Did they ship an empty case? Maybe this is why Ebays policy is to hold the sellers money when selling metal detectors for 30 days?That just started. Besides Paypal will pay you back as it was not as described. I am confused?
looks like the same photo and description for each one......... the first winner probably didn`t pay and it was re-listed and sold again. also i notice no photo of the damaged side in those ads. he has been duped and should file a claim. :tongue3:

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Buried Crap NJ said:

It's the 152.50 bid.

The seller also charged me $26.95 shipping and it cost him $12 for postage.

I sent him a PM through ebay giving him the option of refunding $50 and I'd forget it.

If he doesn't reply in a couple days I'll file a claim and just get a total refund. Also now the buyer gets back the postage costs to return an item too.

If the eletronics are bad I'll probably still lose. But the board and inside controls look good. Also he didn't mention one knob was falling apart.

I plan to make it into a land unit.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I bought a T2 off the classifieds section here. Nothing outwardly wrong with the machine by the pictures. Well, the machine just didn't work. Ended up sending it back to First Texas. They replaced every component of the machine (coil, battery compartment, control unit, even the foam grip). The only original component that wasn't touched was the shaft as there was a scratch on it and it was the same returned. The machine was out of warranty, but First Texas stood behind their product with no charge to me. The only thing that puzzled me is that it probably would have been easier to send a brand new one than replace every component on the original shaft. Either way, I ended up getting a brand new T2 for the orig. purchase price of $450.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I've bought every detector I own off of ebay, and taken a few chances but all have been from good feedback sellers.And all have been as described, working. I have filed claims on some other electronics and paypal refunded my money after the 30 days waiting period. NO Problems at all. Good Luck...Joe

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Diver_Down said:
I bought a T2 off the classifieds section here. Nothing outwardly wrong with the machine by the pictures. Well, the machine just didn't work. Ended up sending it back to First Texas. They replaced every component of the machine (coil, battery compartment, control unit, even the foam grip). The only original component that wasn't touched was the shaft as there was a scratch on it and it was the same returned. The machine was out of warranty, but First Texas stood behind their product with no charge to me. The only thing that puzzled me is that it probably would have been easier to send a brand new one than replace every component on the original shaft. Either way, I ended up getting a brand new T2 for the orig. purchase price of $450.

WOW! Now that was a good deal.
Badger

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I hope you make out ok. I was just confused in thinking you got a empty cracked case!
steve

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Buried Crap NJ said:
I hope you make out ok. I was just confused in thinking you got a empty cracked case!
steve

Oh, I see. No the case had the internal parts okay.

I'd like to keep it but due to such a drastic difference from what he stated in his ad I feel he owns me some sort of refund.

His ad says "No Returns" but I've got news for him.

He may come through yet so we'll see. Anyway I know about Paypal's protection because they've gotten my money back before for shoddy detectors.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is certainly NOT like it was described. I'd be po'd too. I just took a loss on an Excal. I bought it from craigslist though. It's the first time I've been rooked on a deal. I didn't lose a lot on it, but still pissed me off.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
GibH said:
Wow, that is certainly NOT like it was described. I'd be po'd too. I just took a loss on an Excal. I bought it from craigslist though. It's the first time I've been rooked on a deal. I didn't lose a lot on it, but still pissed me off.

Bummer! I've never trusted Craigslist. Yours isn't the first bad story I've heard about detector purchases through Craigs. I've tried several times to buy through them but I either receive no reply or I get some sort of nasty message back. I took Craigslist off my buying list. At least with ebay/Paypal one is covered.

This Sea Hunter is my second bad deal in 3 weeks. A few weeks ago I bought a "near mint" detector off Finds Classifieds and it had a large rip across the coil. That one is still in the process of being settled.

I also have an original Bandido coming and I can hardly wait to see what's screwed up on it. One good thing at least it's a Tesoro.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a great deal on Craigslist... the guy was really nice, and was willing to allow me to meet up with him and inspect everything over before I paid him for it. I think we stand a chance of getting cheated on any medium of purchase over the internet, but it doesn't mean that there aren't good deals to be had out there. Just seems that some are more honest than others. I'd never buy something sight unseen, unless I had a very good reason to do so.

Bran <><

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I've found that most people who like Craigslist live in larger cities where the offerings are local.

Where I live I depend on shipping and most people on Craigslist won't do that. In fact, I've had many get very rude about it when I aksed them if they would consider it for a higher price.

I've tried for about the last 3 years to buy something off Craigslist and I may keep trying just to see if that day ever comes. I've tried to buy old radios, detectors, watches, ect. Who knows, maybe this is the year and someone will actually sell something to me off CL :thumbsup:

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought my excal II here from a guy in Jersey. Since I'm in Maryland I met him half way (about an hour and half for each of us). My machine is like brand new! found my 1st gold ring with it last summer (fake stone and only 10K but it's gold baby).

sandsifter

Dec 14, 2007
Rockport Texas
Detector(s) used
SOV GT, EXCAL 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it have been damaged in shipping? A friend of mine shipped a rifle in for repair, when it came back UPS the stock was broken they ran over it with a fork lift

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sandsifter said:
Could it have been damaged in shipping? A friend of mine shipped a rifle in for repair, when it came back UPS the stock was broken they ran over it with a fork lift

I don't think that's what happened. If you look at the auction, the pictures seem to avoid an angle that could show where it's cracked.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread