The Price of Mining in Plumas County just Went Up

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In past years since we've owned our claim, the property tax bill was $36-$40 a year. I just received this year's bill and it nearly doubled to $75. That and the new
Brown (flush it down) recording fee tax, it nearly triples what it should normally cost.

Now that I'm paying extortion to the State and County, I might as well see how many fish and game regs I can break.....

Upvote 0

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I feel your pain, Siskiyou county is doing the same thing, although not as bad as your increase

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We pay the Recording tax in El Dorado County. But they don't levy a property tax on the claim itself. The collector signs off "no tax due" every year.

I wonder why some counties tax and some don't?

AllenJ

Mar 7, 2018
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Minelab GPX5000 & GM1000, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry for the dumb question, I'm fairly new to all this, but you're being forced to pay property tax on a property you don't own?

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry for the dumb question, I'm fairly new to all this, but you're being force to pay property tax on a property you don't own?

I was wondering the same. Is it called a property tax and if so how can they do that on U.S government land?

OP
OP
M

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They do it on all claims in the county. As Clay says there might be a difference what we're being taxed on like just the minerals, but it's the same code on the assessor's form that is on the form if you owned a house in town.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mineral rights, mineral interests, mineral estate are different wording for the same thing.
You own a property interest and a right to access, develop, and mine any or all of the minerals you own.
as far as property tax if it is taxed it is on a possessory interest (this link has an explanation)
under the mining laws its a possessory title, which grants exclusive rights to the mineral estate
and supposed have the right to absolute title in the land on patent but is currently under a moratorium.

Last edited:

AllenJ

Mar 7, 2018
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Minelab GPX5000 & GM1000, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you Mike and Winners for the explanation. I am once again amazed at what governments are willing to do to get money.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is a battle you could win but they keep the price low enough that it's just not worth it for an individual to pursue. If you were to approach an effective mining association you might have some luck challenging this. Since the few California counties involved in this tax scheme are such a no-go for mining companies already I doubt you could get real money behind your efforts.

Sadly while many California miners have been persistent in claiming "whatever happens in California will spread to the other States" they've missed the fact that California has become irrelevant in the mining world.

Read the Supreme Court decision in Forbes v Gracy to understand why a mining claim itself is not taxable but the mined ore and equipment are. :thumbsup:
Although the title to mineral lands may remain in the United States, the ores, when dug or detached from the lands under a mining claim, are free from any lien, claim, or title of the United States and, becoming personal property, are as such subject to state taxation in like manner as other personal property.

Heavy Pans

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just an update on my attempt to file an N.I.H in Siskiyou county, ca. Called the county recorders office and asked what the fee is for filling the NIH, answer 50 dollars, I sent that in with the appropriate forms and info, a week later got a letter from them, all was correct except the fee they want now, 91 dollars. 75 dollars for food and housing tax was added. I did send in the new check but is it really worth it, I also should note I do pay the full maintenance fee to the BLM.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an update on my attempt to file an N.I.H in Siskiyou county, ca. Called the county recorders office and asked what the fee is for filling the NIH, answer 50 dollars, I sent that in with the appropriate forms and info, a week later got a letter from them, all was correct except the fee they want now, 91 dollars. 75 dollars for food and housing tax was added. I did send in the new check but is it really worth it, I also should note I do pay the full maintenance fee to the BLM.

If you spend much time on your claim, it’s probably worth it.
The north fork is a great place to spend summer weekends!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread