The Q&A

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
The Q&A

Went for a long drive today to dump 3k in halves. Needed to give my regular dump banks a rest and figured I'd get rid of them at some new banks.
I was planning on dropping a thousand at this one branch that I've never been to before.
The counter was the slowest machine I've ever seen. I could count the coins by hand quicker. But I was in no rush.
Suddenly I felt a malevolent presence near me. It was as if I was enveloped in a chill draft. I looked to my right and saw an old hag in a business suit standing next to me. My first thought was that someone was robbing the bank wearing a witches mask. Then she introduced herself as the manager. Here is what happened
Q. You buy those coins don't you?
A. No ans.
Q. I said, you buy those coins don't you ?
A. Of course.
Q. Why are you putting them into this machine?
A. Because if I put them into the counter I can get cash for them.
Q.Did you use cash to buy the half dollars?
A.I used quarters to buy the halves
Q. Why did you buy them in the first place? (at this point I'm getting the feeling that I'm losing a dump bank)
A. Listen lady, I don't care if you are the manager or whoever you are. I have an account at this bank, and it is none of your business how I get my money, or what I do with it.
She started to walk back to her nest all P.Oed. I said hold up ! Keep an eye on my change while I go to my car to get a couple thousand dollars more in halves.
Which I did

Upvote 0

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Re: The Q&A

BRAVO!!!! That will teach her to be rude and nosey. I hope she was steaming all day.

Golden Silver

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's hilarious!! You're a riot!! :headbang:

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

ps Did you get any silver?

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008

After leaving the dump bank I did happen to hit three banks where I picked up a 40% and two 1964 Rosies(out of $275.00).

HH

Rich

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rich, that is awsome. I feel the same way at times. I get the Spanish Inquisition sometimes from branch managers. Bravo on your extra dumps. Only thing better would have been to drop 5k in hand rolls on them.

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008

Bourassa,
Core plus federal credit union Boston Post Road East Lyme Ct. Get yourself an account there for 5 bucks.
By the way I have not seen you post lately. Any good finds?

HH
Rich

Ju8vP3t

Rich, got to be careful though, one of my dump banks closed my account from under me, your encounter sounds very similar to mine, I got interrogated one time from some nasty hag, just like you, "Where'd you get those coins?", "Are you a collector?", "What do you do with them?", I was polite in answering, approximately 1 month later, I got a certified letter from the bank stating my account would be closed in 10 days, never did get ANY explanation as to why :dontknow:, but of course I know why, it was my mis-fortune to come in contact with a very nasty individual,...oh, and I'd had the account at that bank for about 7 years

Same thing happened at another bank I use in which I have an account, after about a year of dumping no more than 2-3 boxes a month, another nasty little lady informed me because I didn't have a business account, Chase couldn't accept them anymore,....Saturday I went to a different Chase branch and dumped 2 boxes and took the time to ask about opening up a business account, very nice girl was very helpful, I briefly gave her some background, and how I was told Chase couldn't accept coins unless you had a business account, she told me she'd never heard of that, so I knew the other lady had been less than honest, anyway this girl told me, bring 'em here, we don't care...Moral of the Story: it all depends on who you're dealing with

Mercury63

Oct 20, 2008

Next time we get the inquisition at a dump bank we should go into Mad Magazines old routine of "snappy answers to stupid questions":

Q; Do you collect coins ?

A: No, I collect stamps, strange how I always seem to have these 1000 half dollars on me.
A #2 - No, I collect these cardboard boxes with the little circular holes in them, the coins just happen to come with them.
A#3 - No, I try to, but always seem to get side-tracked by irritating and nosy bank tellers.

bourassa5

Nov 8, 2008

I've been reading posts every week just don't normally post finds but I've just peen on pennies for the last few months bc there easy and fun to due plus it's more interesting than only finding 1 40% per two boxes of halfs, so I completly stopes With those and dimes got boring plus road trips are virually worthless unless your a pro like you all surrounding towns are loaded with massive hunters little reward for a lot of work so I just do pennies to pass the time, gl hunting though
Bourassa

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008

JU8,
I'm sure that this bank is going to dump me as well because of this encounter, and it would not have made one bit of difference if I was polite or not. So it's no big deal to me as there are plenty of other banks around.
HH
Rich

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008

Bourassa,

I think pennies are interesting too. I'm very tempted to try it myself. Maybe this winter. I have the feeling that the State will run out of snow plow money, and the roads will be lousy to travel on. Hope you find some Indian Heads

HH

Rich

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2

I'm a bit confused on what I should be looking for in 50 cent pieces. I have a bunch of 1971 to 1965 that I've been getting from the local banks. I go in and ask if they have any rolls or loose 50 cent coins. Sometimes they only have a few loose, so I take them and also ask for any large $1.00 coins. Most of those I get are mid 1980's so far nothing older. So, what years are 40% and what years are 90% coins.
The BOA today said they just shipped out $400.00 worth of 50 cent coins they have held in the vault for about a year, so I missed out on that bunch.

Thanks for all your help.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania

good for you Rich. i can't stand it when they hover over you and interrogate you like your doing something wrong.
I'm a bit confused on what I should be looking for in 50 cent pieces. I have a bunch of 1971 to 1965 that I've been getting from the local banks. I go in and ask if they have any rolls or loose 50 cent coins. Sometimes they only have a few loose, so I take them and also ask for any large $1.00 coins. Most of those I get are mid 1980's so far nothing older. So, what years are 40% and what years are 90% coins.
The BOA today said they just shipped out $400.00 worth of 50 cent coins they have held in the vault for about a year, so I missed out on that bunch.
read the first post "beginners guide to coin roll hunting and terms"....lots of good info there.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used

Weighit,

It sucks that you missed out on the ones in the vault that could have been a great score. As for the dates you are looking for on half dollars...you are looking for 1965-1970 for 40% silver. Anything older than 1964 is 90%. The Sanfransisco mint made 40% silver in 1976 so you want to look out for S mints. I keep an eye out for all S mint halves. Good Luck.

golden silver

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2

Are these dates also good for the dimes,quarters and dollar coins too? So anything silver below 1970, and all S minted coins between 1971-1976 is what I need to save.

Thanks and ya, I was bumed that i just missed that load. There are 12 financial places in my town and I will hit them all every week. I will also start driving to the other towns that surround me and see what I can find.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used

Weighit, you are part right. Silver to 1970 only works with half dollars. As for dimes and Quarters 1964 is the cut off date for silver unless of course you find a Silver S mint. If you get a coin with an S stamped on a coin, it could be silver. 1976 was the first year they made silver S mints. Then I think they do it on the regular basis after 1998. As for nickels some people keep everything older than 1960. I do 1950. The silver nickels were minted in 35% silver from 1942-1945. Of course keep any nickel older than that. With the dollars they stopped minting 90% large silver dollars in the 1930's. They made 40% silver S mint Eisenhower dollars in the 1970's. I think that covers it all. Hope this helps. Where are you located in the U.S.?

Golden Silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread