THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got back from fishing the I.C. Did not catch any fish but still had an interesting day. Black Bart and all you other lads that follow the see might get a kick out of this-

So I was fishing this point on the intercoastal about 200 yards from a harbor channel the leads to the intercoastal channel. It's real shoal around there, with maybe two to three feet of water over the oyster beds and grass flats near the intersection of both channels. I'm sitting there fishing and some 20' boat in the I.C. channel lost power and like a fool dropped anchor right smack dab in the middle of the harbor channel mouth! About 20 minutes later that boat is still anchored there trying to restart his engine and here comes a 50' Bertram out of the harbor. Well the harbor channel is only like 40' between the markers! So leapt into action and sprint down to the harbor sea wall to try to warn this 50' Bertram. I get within shouting range waving both arms and scream "Watch out! There's a boat stuck in the channel! ", we were within derringer range but this Bertram is being single handed and the skipper couldn't hear me from the fly bridge. Then the skipper puts it out of gear and runs down to the aft deck, puts his hand to his ear, and I tried to warn him again of the navigation hazard in the channel. I'm not exactly sure, but I don't think he heard me or maybe he didn't understand my Yankee dialect. But, he nods his head, goes back up to the bridge, and continues on his way.

Well when he got up to the channel intersection, Then I think he knew what I was saying! He threw in reverse and stopped full. It seemed like it took about ten minutes while the Bertram skipper assessed the situation, then he put in gear and managed to tiptoe and squeak around the guy parked in his way. Man! Seems like they let every landlubber in town drive a boat around here! Either that or people are just plain careless with their half a million dollar plastic boats? :dontknow:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keeping it simple tonight for supper.

We'll take out a frozen pizza and add about a cup of extra grated cheese. We've got a half cauliflower getting a bit past due so will roast it up to have as a side veggie.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time to feed the hungry with a quick meal.
Organic Open face sandwich.
Spelt Hemp sourdough bread
1 large egg
2 lrg tbs of Kobocha squash
Sprouts
Shaved cheese
Curry, Turmeric, salt, pepper, mayo

View attachment 1895886

How's about....
Fall apart slow roasted hot roast beef sandwiches on cinnamon/raisin bread? With sides of macaroni salad, baked/glazed carrots and a hot baked potato topped with broccoli, cheese and bacon bits? With a hefty slice of hot, homemade cornbread and old time real butter?

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jim,

My wife's mom usually makes it during the holidays since she's originally from Gaspe. The original would have been made with wild game back in colonial times.

Funny thing is even though it's considered a traditional French Canadian dish, the name cipaille is actually a
just a slang name version of an old English dish called sea pie which was made with seafood or meat as I found out later after further research.

I'm full just reading that one.:icon_thumright:

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ECS,

Actually I checked a bit deeper and even though the Brit's called it sea pie it was in fact made with meat....go figure.

Possibly a dish served to the fisherman by the missus at the end of a long day out at sea but who knows.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ECS,

You had mentioned Eric Clapton playing guitar on the tune while my guitar gently weeps. I snooped around and lead guitar on Layla was performed by Duane Allman rather than Clapton.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
ECS,

You had mentioned Eric Clapton playing guitar on the tune while my guitar gently weeps. I snooped around and lead guitar on Layla was performed by Duane Allman rather than Clapton.
Both. The slide guitar was Duane, and as he explained, "Eric played the Fender, I played the Gibson".
The difference being the pickups sound-Fender single coils, Gibson Humbuckers.
Duane and Greg had a Daytona Beach band, The Allman Joys, then in LA, Hour Glass, before the Allman Brothers Band.
*NOTE* Layla is about George Harrison's wife, Patty, as well as "Have you ever loved a woman" who is your best friends wife.
George wrote and played the rhythm guitar bridge on Eric's Cream song, "Badge".

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ECS,

You're just a fountain of info on background about music. I was lucky enough to see Cream live in Montreal back in the day.

As far as I was concerned no one could touch them musically back then.

This was from a reunion concert they did.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Morning world of many talented people. :coffee2:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good morning Dave

We have to take Max to the Vet this morning to get the rabies booster-well overdue.
So it'll be an interesting ride in as he doesn't get to go very often. As a wee lad he was great to travel with, then he turned into this guard dog of the highway belong to me attitude. :dontknow:
Now I see his point - everybody else should stay off the highway when we out and about. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions