THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Good morning, ARC, traveller, Pepperj, and all ye other pirates.

Big day today! We have a group hunt at a park which has been the site of a big festival for many years. Oh, I am sure it’s been hunted heavily, but you never know.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well need to bring in the Mrs car again for the rear rotor replacements.
So the northerly winds will be once again today. Knocking the temps back a few degrees.
I will decide when I get to the shop if I wait or get shuttled to the field.

Got a new permission for the next land section, owned by a crotchety type of family.
"This isn't going to cause me any grief now is it?"
No
"Well I don't do good with those types of things like you getting hurt and suing me"
No worries about that one-I detect so and so, and .....
"Well go ahead then-be sure to show us what you find"
Will do, thank you.
Oh BTW-have you ever seen any brick or glass out in the field?
"Nope-we tiled it 3 years ago-didn't see anything"
Thank You
"Now is this a one time thing or do you want to return"
Let me see if there's a workable site there first and I'll let you know ok
"Good stuff-bye"

Oh yippee a day in the corn stalks :hello2:

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Voodoo Chile is one of my favorites by him... but this is a version closer to the Hendrix i know...

Cheese and crackers! That’s hard to listen to when you just have plain old coffee!

Someone must have critiqued him on Voodoo Child. To me, the faster version sounds better, but that’s also the version I am familiar with.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Well need to bring in the Mrs car again for the rear rotor replacements.
So the northerly winds will be once again today. Knocking the temps back a few degrees.
I will decide when I get to the shop if I wait or get shuttled to the field.

Got a new permission for the next land section, owned by a crotchety type of family.
"This isn't going to cause me any grief now is it?"
No
"Well I don't do good with those types of things like you getting hurt and suing me"
No worries about that one-I detect so and so, and .....
"Well go ahead then-be sure to show us what you find"
Will do, thank you.
Oh BTW-have you ever seen any brick or glass out in the field?
"Nope-we tiled it 3 years ago-didn't see anything"
Thank You
"Now is this a one time thing or do you want to return"
Let me see if there's a workable site there first and I'll let you know ok
"Good stuff-bye"

Oh yippee a day in the corn stalks :hello2:
Good luck to you, too. I have only asked permission from one friend and it was an easy yes. I am scared to ask for any more because of the situation you described. I really feel like why should I put myself through that when I have plenty of nails to dig up on my farm. I was always afraid of the park sites also, anxiety of being approached and told it was a no no, or worse, being attacked/robbed. That’s what I like about this group we started. 4 are tnetters and Cowboye really seems to know his stuff. Might be 5, I think his bride might have joined. I’m going to ask today. And get this, I invited Peyton, so it would be 6 if he joins us. And we have one lurker who it turns out was hubby’s taxidermist years ago. So I am feeling comfortable now.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good luck to you, too. I have only asked permission from one friend and it was an easy yes. I am scared to ask for any more because of the situation you described. I really feel like why should I put myself through that when I have plenty of nails to dig up on my farm. I was always afraid of the park sites also, anxiety of being approached and told it was a no no, or worse, being attacked/robbed. That’s what I like about this group we started. 4 are tnetters and Cowboye really seems to know his stuff. Might be 5, I think his bride might have joined. I’m going to ask today. And get this, I invited Peyton, so it would be 6 if he joins us. And we have one lurker who it turns out was hubby’s taxidermist years ago. So I am feeling comfortable now.
I get a high 95-98% yes as it's usually just farm fields to detect and not yards.
Now to knock on a door, and ask to do a lawn-oh gee the arm pits just got that familiar tingle of anxiety happening.
Nope not into having someone looking out the window looking at my digging hole in the putting green lawn.

Parks alone for a woman can be iffy-and certain areas for guys even.
In 80's I used to dug plugs with the biggest hunting knife that was allowed to be carried under our laws.

I think once you try a door knock and they say yes-it's a great feeling like winning an imaginary little treasure.

Get your information straight first-know a little about what you are going after and sound confident.
Tell you have a number of permissions (your own and a friends is a #)
Tell them you're a local-or not-but assure them that you are a land/home owner.

I'm sure the folks in your group have many ways of obtaining a permission.
Explain your fears, and maybe they'll hook ya up to tag along going to their next one.
Remember the next door bell might lead you to that illusive "Crotal Bell"

92DBD074-1153-4932-A49D-DBF24D4D4052_1_201_a.jpeg

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I get a high 95-98% yes as it's usually just farm fields to detect and not yards.
Now to knock on a door, and ask to do a lawn-oh gee the arm pits just got that familiar tingle of anxiety happening.
Nope not into having someone looking out the window looking at my digging hole in the putting green lawn.

Parks alone for a woman can be iffy-and certain areas for guys even.
In 80's I used to dug plugs with the biggest hunting knife that was allowed to be carried under our laws.

I think once you try a door knock and they say yes-it's a great feeling like winning an imaginary little treasure.

Get your information straight first-know a little about what you are going after and sound confident.
Tell you have a number of permissions (your own and a friends is a #)
Tell them you're a local-or not-but assure them that you are a land/home owner.

I'm sure the folks in your group have many ways of obtaining a permission.
Explain your fears, and maybe they'll hook ya up to tag along going to their next one.
Remember the next door bell might lead you to that illusive "Crotal Bell"

View attachment 2023637
Well I tell you what. OhioMetalMaven is killing it with her new video channel. She’s a neat lady. She’s pretty smart, too. Cowboye and the other guy already have permissions. We’re taking turns on the sites. BuckIdgr and I are just tagging along and happy to have companions. It’s my hope that the mr will cave in and let me have this group at my place sometime. It is funny (and maybe everyone is like this) in the beginning, I was tickled to find a nail. Now I just want more and more variety.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well I tell you what. OhioMetalMaven is killing it with her new video channel. She’s a neat lady. She’s pretty smart, too. Cowboye and the other guy already have permissions. We’re taking turns on the sites. BuckIdgr and I are just tagging along and happy to have companions. It’s my hope that the mr will cave in and let me have this group at my place sometime. It is funny (and maybe everyone is like this) in the beginning, I was tickled to find a nail. Now I just want more and more variety.
I guess from doing this for 50+ yrs I am the worse for being jaded in a lot of ways when it comes to targets.
( digging in England 8X really threw a mind F into the equation )
Late Victorian now just about doesn't tickle the itch.
Get a bell-good day-cool-carry on.
So true WD the itch for variety is a knocking, and that makes you want more.
You have a nice variety of iron nails-now it's time to pass them over and spend that time seeking out the higher tones.

Public spaces have been gleamed for nearly 60 yrs now-folks drive by and think "oh look at that lovely park-yummy"
Though that has been done repeatedly for a half a century now.
The cellar/homesteads on public lands hold a little more hope, and on private a whole lot of hope.

There's a limited surf and turf smorgasbord with a first come first serve-starting at 4-8pm advertising flier.
Two options there show up early a feast down-or show up late and pick the bones. :dontknow:

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning, ARC, traveller, Pepperj, and all ye other pirates.

Big day today! We have a group hunt at a park which has been the site of a big festival for many years. Oh, I am sure it’s been hunted heavily, but you never know.
Morning your highness.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morning Trav.
So dirt digging in you plans today, or just sitting back and digging up some dirt?
Either way have a fun filled day.

Day 75 of Honey Dew List. Working on back deck this morning then a 3 hour drive to grandaughter's High Scool softball game. She is starting short stop as freshman and has been selected defensive player of the year. She is a level headed young lady. Hard to be like that in this day and time.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Day 75 of Honey Dew List. Working on back deck this morning then a 3 hour drive to grandaughter's High Scool softball game. She is starting short stop as freshman and has been selected defensive player of the year. She is a level headed young lady. Hard to be like that in this day and time.
Gee here I took you for being a young pup still.
Granddaughter as a freshman (PC kick in) freshwoman.
Best of luck đź‘Ť
Decks are so worth it.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee here I took you for being a young pup still.
Granddaughter as a freshman (PC kick in) freshwoman.
Best of luck đź‘Ť
Decks are so worth it.
Thanks partner. That young pup is so far down the road I can not even see his tail anymore.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Mornin all.

A park I lived near as a kid has been about as pounded as one can be.
My intro into detecting was there in the late sixties early seventies.
Later (a dozen years ago?) my first Indian head would come from there.
And study of it's history led me to another distant park where my first Seated dime was recovered.

Then...A park a few miles away from me today with a history back into the eighteen hundreds has really been pounded.
It is my default /get reaquanted with the detector site , and if no other site is in mind for a quick hunt I'll hit it.
Have recovered silver out of it andother goodies.
A guy used to visit it while visiting from Ohio that did alright too. But it takes being on your game.

All that to say ; parks are better than not going detecting!

Watching others detect has helped.
New to the park folks seem bewildered at all the signals. OR , they're so danged good they know what they don't want.

It's the little peeps and iffy deep stuff that turns up surprises they missed.
One example was two nails on end (heads up it seemed) with a silver dime below them.
How many detectors zoomed right on past??

A burned rubble and tenish inches of depth turned up another oldie.
Too much iron in the mix for the impatient.

Howa park has been worked by equipment in the past matters.
One (the one with rubble in areas) had debris from a prior village fire spread around over it and fill added on top.
Another had dirt pushed around and things dug for drainage ect..
Where the earth work ended (at least one time /event) the ground fell away slightly like a tiny slope towards the unworked ground. That edge of where pushing/reading dirt ended was a sweet spot.

Shade trees /stumps roots have produced.
A sidewalk requires excavation and soil dug.

You have solid experence with kids.
Track them down from a half century ago.
Where they played. Where they got water ect.
Bonus points if there was any concession stand way back when. A pay phone. Even just a pop machine .

And if edges are rough terrain or grown up with brush ect. , look at them from an eye decades ago. Any reason a group would have been there?

But more importantly. Have fun!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I admit she indeed invite me.
Had I not strained my back a few days ago I may have attended, sounds like fun.
I must however say that I’m not certain she wouldnt have buried my body in a cornfield.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning pirates, ARC, Pepperj, traveller, and all ye rest.

Safe travels to Bart.
Healing for releventchair
Peace and comfort to JVA5th.
Screenshot_2021-03-27-23-28-12.png

Milady.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread