THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Morning relevent.
Mornin T777!

Rain day here.

Scored the lantern yesterday and did alright. Well worth the price even if it gets used for parts.
It runs but needs a tear down to figure out a leak.
The easy guess and fix is valve packing.
Fount "clocking" (how the base aligns with frame) is off a little.
Don't know if someone took it apart before , or the factory did it.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mornin T777!

Rain day here.

Scored the lantern yesterday and did alright. Well worth the price even if it gets used for parts.
It runs but needs a tear down to figure out a leak.
The easy guess and fix is valve packing.
Fount "clocking" (how the base aligns with frame) is off a little.
Don't know if someone took it apart before , or the factory did it.
Good luck with your lantern. Let us see your finished product.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
This is an older 228 big hat in front.
It's basically a 220 with a bigger (wider) vent. More light reflected downward.
Letters are models by updates , later models usually having higher letters.

A high vent (older) 200A in the right background. A low vent model is to it's left.

IMG_0171.JPG

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an older 228 big hat in front.
It's basically a 220 with a bigger (wider) vent. More light reflected downward.
Letters are models by updates , later models usually having higher letters.

A high vent (older) 200A in the right background. A low vent model is to it's left.

View attachment 2024631
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Dad's 242C . I'm after a similar lantern later this week. (Crap , I can't find the picture now!
Cast mixing chamber above mantle burner. Unlike todays pressed metal light stuff.
And a single mantle. Less cost to replace them. I forget the difference in light output between the 220-228's and 200's.
Generator orifice size and amount of pressure affect it. But the singles do just fine for me.

Dad's I was introduced to ice fishing at night when I was in around second grade in school. A lot of hours using it.
I gave it a good cleaning and going over last year. Cap gasket. Removed flaking paint (dad must have painted it at one time) from frame and gave it a citric acid bath ect. Same with mixing chamber.
Probably replaced generator . I'd have to check to tell.
Tightened packing on valve. Got pump leather working again or replaced it.
Ready to work again.

Here's a pic of his 200A. Replaced the broken glass globe after a good clean up. Its's a high vent. 1965. Or close. I'd have to look to confirm .
Don't know if Dad bought it new that year of an older sisters birth .(I do recall it's her year though forgot if it's 64-5.) Not like he had much to spend back then.

IMG_0172.JPG

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A common 220. Letter will be stamped on collar ,( the silver band between fount and frame).
It cleaned up good and runs. I don't want a bunch of 220's really , but when decent , no lantern left behind for ten bucks. And this one came with a (mehh) wood box to ride in that fits it for that price. A new globe (the glass on these 220's) runs ten bucks or more. Plan on more plus shipping.
Fuel cap (a one piece tells us this pictured is a "newer" model , or at least the cap is. vs the older three piece.)
Old original globes can get pricy. Logos vary. Country of manufacture can too. And before them were mica globes. ( $ )
Even the directional knob has a part value. And on to the next part.

Common 200A's I have bought for 8 bucks or less years ago can sell for ten or more times that today in good shape.. And on E-Bay , it gets crazy.
But then Japan has been a hot market beyond this country's collectors. ($$.)

Colemans have held value and gained due to parts availability.
But that is starting to taper off. I should buy more common parts.
And mantles! New offerings from Coleman suck. They should be ashamed.
But there are ways for us to get around that...

IMG_0173.JPG

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dad's 242C . I'm after a similar lantern later this week. (Crap , I can't find the picture now!
Cast mixing chamber above mantle burner. Unlike todays pressed metal light stuff.
And a single mantle. Less cost to replace them. I forget the difference in light output between the 220-228's and 200's.
Generator orifice size and amount of pressure affect it. But the singles do just fine for me.

Dad's I was introduced to ice fishing at night when I was in around second grade in school. A lot of hours using it.
I gave it a good cleaning and going over last year. Cap gasket. Removed flaking paint (dad must have painted it at one time) from frame and gave it a citric acid bath ect. Same with mixing chamber.
Probably replaced generator . I'd have to check to tell.
Tightened packing on valve. Got pump leather working again or replaced it.
Ready to work again.

Here's a pic of his 200A. Replaced the broken glass globe after a good clean up. Its's a high vent. 1965. Or close. I'd have to look to confirm .
Don't know if Dad bought it new that year of an older sisters birth .(I do recall it's her year though forgot if it's 64-5.) Not like he had much to spend back then.

View attachment 2024636
Nice job. Looks great

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice job. Looks great
Thanks.
I lack before pictures. Or it might look like more of an accomplishment!
Some lanterns and stoves took quite a bit of elbow grease to get close to decent. So I usually get them running first and set them aside for my old age when simple projects are anticipated as being enough...L.o.l..

Very interesting history of the company. Bummer today with new owner(s).
Original autos ran on "white gas". Around fifty octane. Clear color.
Pressure lamps adapted to it.
There are /were kerosene lamps too. But are different in having to pre heat generators. Which early white gas lanterns needed too .
"Quick lites" evolved to "Instant lights" through design changes. (Allowing air to mix with white gas).

Here's a a group picked up a couple years ago.
There's a single burner stove (model forgotten already) with a heat drum on it.
The lot involved the wood handled reflector (appropriately red) for a 200A and the 200A. Cost of lot , I gave the guy double what he would have taken. Being a forum member elsewhere I wasn't going to be gank the seller. (And I made out fine.) I wanted the reflector mostly.

IMG_0197 (2).JPG

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks.
I lack before pictures. Or it might look like more of an accomplishment!
Some lanterns and stoves took quite a bit of elbow grease to get close to decent. So I usually get them running first and set them aside for my old age when simple projects are anticipated as being enough...L.o.l..

Very interesting history of the company. Bummer today with new owner(s).
Original autos ran on "white gas". Around fifty octane. Clear color.
Pressure lamps adapted to it.
There are /were kerosene lamps too. But are different in having to pre heat generators. Which early white gas lanterns needed too .
"Quick lites" evolved to "Instant lights" through design changes. (Allowing air to mix with white gas).

Here's a a group picked up a couple years ago.
There's a single burner stove (model forgotten already) with a heat drum on it.
The lot involved the wood handled reflector (appropriately red) for a 200A and the 200A. Cost of lot , I gave the guy double what he would have taken. Being a forum member elsewhere I wasn't going to be gank the seller. (And I made out fine.) I wanted the reflector mostly.

View attachment 2024642
A work of love

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A work of love
In case you missed it a while back, here is a Dutch Oven I recovered from a trash pile in a field where the 5th Ohio camped during Civil War. I am pretty sure was a part of their camp ware. The before and after pictures after I did cleaning, repair, and waxed it.

Attachments

• 20220213_124827.jpg
    20220213_124827.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 20220227_124706.jpg
    20220227_124706.jpg
    746.8 KB · Views: 15

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a picture of a 242. Alleged C. Pic from online.

Three piece fuel cap. And is early smaller fuel cap than found on later lanterns.

Vent knob (on top of lantern) has a solid top. Unlike through hole design of later ones.

Pictured lantern does not have original globe (glass). Logo is wrong. As is color.

Painted fount to match vent . Same as Dad's.
The one I'll bid on this week has a nickel fount.
Founts were brass or steel through the years with wartime likely a factor.

s-l300.jpg

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a mixing chamber for a 242. Very different than late models.
The bale handle fits in holes in the sides. (The top two bumps on the shoulders.) Which is why the vent has slots in it in the previous post's picture.
Those vents tend to break at welds between holed area and cap if abused. Still work though..

dcb6913863962c6be720a3e808951bc9.jpg

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Great looking lanterns RC.
Thank for showing some them off.

You my friend are poised in a region that shipping keeps me from getting into.....
Canadian Colemans are a whole nuther ballgame!
Similar , but oh so different. Being Canadian built.
I have not encountered one here in "the wild" / not online.
Others have though.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You my friend are poised in a region that shipping keeps me from getting into.....
Canadian Colemans are a whole nuther ballgame!
Similar , but oh so different. Being Canadian built.
I have not encountered one here in "the wild" / not online.
Others have though.
The cost of the postage is crazy.
They would probably charge $40-50 to ship.
Frigging rip-off

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The cost of the postage is crazy.
They would probably charge $40-50 to ship.
Frigging rip-off
And the globes/glass often need packed separately.
Oh , the folks awaiting arrival of a shipped globe and cringing as they open the box!
I would be freaking waiting on an old expensive piece...
And really riled up to find one broken.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The tall vent 200A in the first picture was with the 228 (my first acquired "big hat") near it.
The Craigslist seller I met at a run down laundromat's parking lot in a little village didn't want to sell the big hat seperate.
Poor little 200A looked like chickens played soccer with it a few years before it was tossed twenty yards into a barn for a few more years before a flood hit it. Then left a couple more years.
Had the wrong burner tube (an older one with tube and burner in one off a who knows what lantern) on it. And was bent the most I've seen one bent.
Told the seller I might get a part off it...

It cleaned up nice! And is a good runner.
Both were a bargain despite my for the first(?) and hopefully last time I didn't have exact change after talking him down on them.
Overpaid a few or four bucks. L.o.l..
Have under ten dollars into that 200A.
The vent is worth that , and if compared to E-Bay. I'm halfway rich!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread